Hard drive not recognized by xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I have a severe problem and hope someone can help me.

It started last night with my computer off and unplugged. My 160gig external drive was still plugged in and on when it was accidentally unplugged. I plugged it back in, and a minute later heard 2 clicks...i shut it off immediately.

turned it back on an hour later and the computer. no clicks, but it the drive didnt show up in "my computer". it did show up in the device manager as working properly. But when looking at volume information in properties it shows as unreadable. It also doesnt show up in disk management.

I have tried several downloaded programs and most see the drive and show it as corrupted partition. They also show the drive as far larger than it is (like 2 terrabyte) and show it as 1 head 1 sector.

I am lost as to what to try next. I hope someone can help me.

:dead:

I tried that this morning (thanks for the info).

I cant get the bios to see the drive. Could this be because I have the slave setting wrong? Would the bios see the drive if it is corrupt?

seamusyams said:
I tried that this morning (thanks for the info).

I cant get the bios to see the drive. Could this be because I have the slave setting wrong? Would the bios see the drive if it is corrupt?
Bios will see the drive and does not care whats on the drive. Use cable select for the jumper setting on all your drives and you won't have to worry if the setting is wrong or not... let the system figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back