Hard drive suddenly not showing up after BSOD

wrthlsscrture

I was browsing for a new mouse when I got a BSOD, which had a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED stop code. After I booted up Windows and opened File Explorer, the hard drive suddenly disappeared. I also checked Device Manager, Disk Management, and DiskPart, but no traces of the hard drive were to be found. Is there any hope to fix it, or is it dead?

I hear clicking from the laptop right now as I'm typing this question. I doubt it's the hard drive though, as I always hear this clicking when I hard shut down my laptop. Even after I rebooted, the clicking is still there.

Last edited:
Clicking is a symptom of the drive having trouble reading and writing. It is likely the drive finally went completely out.

Try replacing the SATA cable and/or a different port to make sure. They have traditionally been sensitive to bending and manipulation.

and disk drives can still 'click' while they are dying.

good luck

There is no sata cable inside my laptop, it's just a female sata plug
The drive is surely dead then, I also had one clicking noise hard disk but not my main boot disk, it freeze my windows and sometimes my pc detect it and suddenly it's not detected again. There's no more hope for that disk, even if you get it working again, the moment you try to copy the data, it will be goneagain.

That CLICKING is the HD being reset by the OS and reseeking to find the partition table.
The HD doesn't show up --- then the partition table is damaged.

Hope you have a backup.

I was browsing for a new mouse when I got a BSOD, which had a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED stop code. After I booted up Windows and opened File Explorer, the hard drive suddenly disappeared. I also checked Device Manager, Disk Management, and DiskPart, but no traces of the hard drive were to be found. Is there any hope to fix it, or is it dead?

I hear clicking from the laptop right now as I'm typing this question. I doubt it's the hard drive though, as I always hear this clicking when I hard shut down my laptop. Even after I rebooted, the clicking is still there.

Huh, if the hard drive ticks 3 or 4 times while booting up and preposting to windows.
Its a sure fire bet the hard drive is on its way to die soon.
Also windows will alert the mobo to warn you at your next reboot to get ready to back up everything if it hasn't done so already.

Every Man's and Woman's Nighmare as follows:

180045d1520535981t-my-sdd-might-crash-any-moment-help-whatsapp-image-2018-03-05-2.14.27-pm.jpeg

Back