Hardware Essentials for $50 or Less: Affordable Tech Roundup

Logitech Ultimate Ears 500 Noise-isolating Earphones ($37) Price Amazon Link is Dead, link should refer to https not httpss (Ed. note: fixed, thanks!).

Am in need of some good earphones with adjustable earbud size.

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: Microsoft Xbox Wireless Controller -

Glad to see this make the list over its main competition. Native Windows 10 support, the wireless dongle, and near universal support on Steam, Uplay, etc. makes it the best option for PC Gaming with a controller unless you have a certain need the PS4 or Steam controller meets.

I have the Anker Soundbar and Microsoft XBox controller. Both use bluetooth.

The Anker soundbar connects instantly to my Win10 PC. This is what I expect from an umpteen billion dollar company that owns the technology on both ends and has refined it for decades.

The MS XBox takes ages to connect, often five or ten re-tries and on-off cycles, on every PC. It's almost impossible to move it between PCs. Of course I have researched every web fix and the experience of others. The problem is common, and I shouldn't be surprised to encounter it with a new product from such a small company, lacking the experience, design talent and support resources of the industry behemoths.

Just didn't see anything that was a true "must have" .... lots of toys and gadgets but that's about it. Of course I grew up with a rotary dial phone, B&W television, and only two brands of TP ...... ahhh, the benefits of knowing better ..... LOL

RE: Microsoft Xbox Wireless Controller -

Glad to see this make the list over its main competition. Native Windows 10 support, the wireless dongle, and near universal support on Steam, Uplay, etc. makes it the best option for PC Gaming with a controller unless you have a certain need the PS4 or Steam controller meets.

I'm personally not a fan of the new xbox controllers. I've already had 2 break on me and I don't even game that much anymore. On the otherhand I've got a pile of wired 360 controllers that have endured much more punishment. FYI you can pickup chinese knockoffs of the xbox one controller for $10 and some of them are actually better quality then the one Microsoft sells.

I'm personally not a fan of the new xbox controllers. I've already had 2 break on me and I don't even game that much anymore. On the otherhand I've got a pile of wired 360 controllers that have endured much more punishment. FYI you can pickup chinese knockoffs of the xbox one controller for $10 and some of them are actually better quality then the one Microsoft sells.
I have to admit that I am hard on controllers and went through plenty of 360 and now Xbox One controllers, about 1 per year. I agree that I seem to be going through Xbox One controllers more than 360 controllers, but I am playing more Rocket League and ANY controller drift requires an immediate replacement.

Below is the most recent one I purchased on clearance at GameStop and it seems to have lasted the longest. I'd love to pay more for better QC and longevity or repairability but GameStop keeps taking them for trade-in credit and having sales on new ones so I keep replacing them.
CombatTechHERO-hero.jpg

Just didn't see anything that was a true "must have" .... lots of toys and gadgets but that's about it. Of course I grew up with a rotary dial phone, B&W television, and only two brands of TP ...... ahhh, the benefits of knowing better ..... LOL

What would be "must have" besides food shelter and water with your extreme definition?

Back