Hatred Review: A controversial game that isn't really worth hating

Jos

Staff

hatred review hatred

Eight months ago the first trailer for Hatred was tossed into the digital ocean with the intention of creating ripples of outrage. Now that the game's finally here, it's one of the top-selling games on Steam. If only the designers at Destructive Creations were as good at making video games as they are at marketing them. I still don’t know, though, whether Hatred goes “too far.” Somehow it manages to go too far while simultaneously not going far enough.

Hatred is a twin-stick shooter that displays its dreary world from an overhead perspective. The player is cast as a nameless antagonist who has decided to go on a mass killing spree. He shoots his way through neighborhoods, sewers (of course there are sewers), outdoor shopping areas, military bases, and more. Literally the only things he can do are move and kill. Well, that and grumble drivel like “Can you hear your guardian angel crying?” When he is wounded, he heals himself by executing victims as they crawl along the ground, typically while a graphic video of the execution plays on screen.

If he chooses not to kill, people run from him in terror anyway, which makes the game sadder and more interesting. The police will eventually arrive and shoot him to death despite his nonviolent resistance.

Read the complete review.

I an loving the game so far. It does not deserve all the hate it is getting and it is exactly what the developers promised and then some. A dumb, violent, and over the top shooter.

8/10

I an loving the game so far. It does not deserve all the hate it is getting and it is exactly what the developers promised and then some. A dumb, violent, and over the top shooter.

8/10

Watched Total Biscuit's review of the game. Strikes me as a mediocre twin-stick at best.

8/10
A game based off of nothing more than mass-murdering innocent people...you want kids playing games like that?

It's rated M. Kids shouldn't be playing it.

It's actually rated AO, which is hardly a fair thing. Why don't things like Postal, GTA 5 and such get an AO rating? You clearly in GTA 5 for the story get a torture scene, but that slides past with an M because of what? Probably bribed to let it pass, or they never seen those pieces of the game.

8/10
A game based off of nothing more than mass-murdering innocent people...you want kids playing games like that?

Oh noes.. the kids might get their hands on it?! Better start lobbying against such things, especially since we have too many preferring to be in a nanny state. Just ship such people over to the UK, where they have silly laws for things like this.

It's for the parents to decide besides, this isn't even sold on shelves because of it's rating. They purposely went to the ESRB for a rating, and got slapped with the AO rating which they used for shock value. Due to it's rating, all the "news" sites jumped on it as a result. Since they can get their views / clicks for the day, because it's of course the most "controversial" kind of game in this day and age. 2015 and we're still afraid of things, because parents flock together making excuses for their laziness.

I don't care for how any parent wants to act, don't lay the blame on others because of your choices. Should we start burning those filthy books? Or how about we ban movies as well? Do you actually monitor your kids, while they go online and probably look at things they shouldn't too? This isn't the fault of anyone but the family, just it's always easier to turn a blind eye and shift the blame.

Only reason a company will cave in is because, everyone on mass spams them until they roll over. Then they use this as a means of saying, they conquered a giant company who was pushing filth on their kids. You often then wonder, why a company sticks to what it can see as safe. Because pushing the envelope leads to a backlash, then having to retreat with their tail between their legs. Losing probably millions upon millions, due to a possible recall or some other reason.

Why did this come about? To push the envelope obviously, and it comes off as rather pathetic. Only the big companies can't be seen as doing this, because one bad thing will lead to many ignoring them. Especially wide scale it could have an impact, on jobs and much more but people clearly don't care about any of that. Smaller teams can come together and make something like this, push the limits further and then move onto their own actual dreams.

Also no I won't make a TL;DR because people should read what I said. :p

It's actually rated AO, which is hardly a fair thing.

Thanks for the correction.

Also no I won't make a TL;DR because people should read what I said. :p

TL;DR version (for those who want it): What's wrong with you spineless, philosophically challenged, nanny loving, irrational, safety bubble dependent, totalitarian wimp-douches? Get a grip.

Thanks for the correction.

TL;DR version (for those who want it): What's wrong with you spineless, philosophically challenged, nanny loving, irrational, safety bubble dependent, totalitarian wimp-douches? Get a grip.

Anytime and priceless tl;dr ;)

It was first reinstated on Steam, and then given the rating they could have easily kicked it off. Still there though but it holds an AO rating, which is probably going to cause some questions about Valve's decision. I find the rating doesn't hold water, but it's taken at face value and that's it.

The executions in Shadow of Mordor are worse than the ones in this game.
I got Hatred because of the hype, but the controls need work and it is very repetitive. I was bored of it after 30mins of playing. 6/10

The executions in Shadow of Mordor are worse than the ones in this game.
I got Hatred because of the hype, but the controls need work and it is very repetitive. I was bored of it after 30mins of playing. 6/10

Thankfully with Steam you can get a refund. It's good for a quick mess around, and then get a refund.

I agree with the first few posters, no Kotaku articles. I actively avoid that website, and don't want to see it here. (Yes I know I didn't have to click it and read) Read the whole thing and this "reviewer" doesn't give any real reasons why it isn't a good game, other than saying it isn't good.

I'm curious from anyone who has played it so far, how does it run? I think I'm more intrigued in UE4 than the game itself since I havn't touched a thing made with the engine thus far.

It's rated M. Kids shouldn't be playing it.
Have you ever played GTA 5 online? I'd say at least 25% of the voices I hear through the mic's are <15yrs old. Of course they shouldn't be playing it, but kids are spoiled these days, and get what ever they demand.

Thankfully with Steam you can get a refund. It's good for a quick mess around, and then get a refund.
Does that actually work? Saw the article...haven't tried it yet.

Yes it does, it can take a while though. Provided it's under 2 hours of play, and so on then you can get a refund. Most games I want a refund for would be, over 4 years old because they never functioned.

I'm curious from anyone who has played it so far, how does it run? I think I'm more intrigued in UE4 than the game itself since I havn't touched a thing made with the engine thus far.

I would imagine it's okay, the controls are questionable. Of course the terrain is as destructible as ever, making for a very nice use of the engine. There's a good few demos of the engine, and such over on their forums I would imagine. Also they promote things on Twitter, which is a way to find things. Community is suggesting a lot, and sometimes they often jump into things themselves to help bring more to the engine.

They do regular streams on Twitch, promoting various things of course. Ark is another UE4 thing on Early Access, if you want to take a swing at that instead. ;)

Have you ever played GTA 5 online? I'd say at least 25% of the voices I hear through the mic's are <15yrs old. Of course they shouldn't be playing it, but kids are spoiled these days, and get what ever they demand.

For the first few months it was available. Being a PS3 user at the time, I couldn't escape those whiney little bastards. Them, and those jackwagons who find it acceptable to blast $20 stereo systems over the mic. Never appreciated the mute feature more than in GTA V Online.

That said, what a parent allows their children to do in the privacy of their home is not my or anyone else's concern. The original question, "[do] you want your kids playing games like that?" is the reason ratings are printed on the box (figuratively speaking these days). It's also why people read reviews (this Kotaku opinion piece being an exception). What content a minor is permitted to consume is the domain of the parent.

See Total Biscuit's WTF Is... on YouTube. He discusses the game at length and should be able to give you all the information you need.

Cliffsnotes version:
1. UE4 is good
2. Content isn't nearly as extreme as advertised
3. Gameplay is mediocre
4. AI can be oppressively difficult
5. Save system is terrible
6. Dialogue is terrible
7. Game can't be taken seriously
8. Executions are low-impact and annoying

My wife and I watched a Youtube video of Mortal Kombat X executions/finishers.Our jaws were on the floor and could not believe that game made release.I don't think anything could get any worse than that.

With all the shootings we've had idk how they can release a game like this. Might as well make a 911 simulator while your at it.....

Kids play on PC nowadays? ... we're all grown ups here playing grown up games. If your mindset is that only kids play games, then you are in the wrong place.

My wife and I watched a Youtube video of Mortal Kombat X executions/finishers.Our jaws were on the floor and could not believe that game made release.I don't think anything could get any worse than that.

...*puts his conspiracy goggles on* ... world is overpopulated already... governments are trying to shape peoples mind to take this gruesomeness and mass-murdering a real thing and even a norm. Just to prepare us what's coming next => global population reduction in mass/government scale ... I suggest you watch serials like Utopia ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2384811/ )

Back