Having MAJOR problems with Windows ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertzombie

Hi, as you can tell by my post count i'm new to this board. i've came to seek help with a problem my Windows ME computer has had for a while.

It seems to only happen in the summer (with the hot weather, usually between June and August). The rest of the year it's fine.

Bassically, i go on the computer, and it could be a matter of minutes or a few hours and the PC freezes, but not like a simple crash, then you can just restart and carry on using it, with this, the PC freezes, i can hear a loud ringing sound coming from the hard drive, and if i restart it (i can only restart but pressing the little restart button on the hard drive because the mouse and keyboard become disabled) when it loads up it freezes again and the same thing happens with the ringing and stuff.

Now, this happened last year as well (i have had the computer since 2001) and so i thought, if it happens again this year, it's probably just a case of overheating, and, it normally happens when my room temperature reaches 26 degrees celcius, but then, i swap over to my brothers computer (XP) and i could be on it for as long as i want and the room temperature could exceed 26 degrees and his PC won't freeze at all.

I don't know if you need this information but: my hard drive is a MESH.

thanks in advance, i'd be greatful if someone could help me out / give me some advice.

hey,

sounds like your CPU is over heating. try running your PC with the case off and see if it still crashes....

What CPU are you using ?

erm, i'm not sure what CPU i'm on but i will find out. when you say "run it without the case on" do you mean actually take off the plastic covering?

sorry, i'm a noob.

Are we talking laptop or desktop?
If a desktop, just take one side off. If a laptop, you may need to open it up.
Either way, switch everything off and unplug from the mains.
Then clean out all the dust, especially from any fans. Do NOT use a vacuum cleaner, it could damage the PCs memory. Get a can with compressed air.
And do this preferably outside, before you blow dust all over the room!
Once cleaned, leave the PC open, connect it and boot up. Check that ALL your fans are working properly.

yes, take the plastic cover off your PC and run it...

to find out what type of processor you've got, start Windows (IF YOU CAN!).

Assuming you're running Windows XP, go to Start, Run and type "winmsd" without the quotation marks.

Wait for the list to populate and ensure that System Summary is selected in the left hand window.

Now, in the right hand window you can see lots of info about your PC - take a look at the Processor entry and see what is says.

This info is sometimes not THAT helpful, so after you've done that... Right Click on My Computer and go to Properties.....on the General tab take a look at the "Computer" info at the bottom.

This is only to find out what processor you're running... the reason being is that some processors (like AMD Athlon etc) run hot and require good cooling ........

run the machine without the case and see if it helps. if it does, then you know it's DEFINATELY a heat problem. or maybe one of your system fans has packed up and you just dont know it.

but taking the case off means that you can look at the fan(s) to see if they are running.

be sure not to touch anything inside the computer without an anti-static wristband when it's turned on OR off.

let me know how you get on

oops... just noticed that you're running ME.. sorry

im not sure if winmsd runs in Windows ME. Just do the right-click My Computer bit...

wow, thanks for the help! i am bit wary about opening the PC up, however i done the "general my computer properties" and it says:

MESH Computers PLC
www.meshcomputers.com
AuthenticAMD
AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
512.0MB RAM

so yes, it is an AMD Athlon, is that bad?

you said that it requires cooling. i noticed that my hard drive isn't in the best of places and where the fan is, it's next to a wooden block underneath my desk, therefore when hot air is blown out, it hits the block and just stays there. so i pulled the hard drive out and i'm using it at the moment, so far so good, ***touch wood***. so it might just be a case of, the hard drives in the wrong place and air isn't getting circulated.

cool. so you're heading in the right direction !

air circulation is important for a PC - make sure that you've always got enough space behind and in-front of your PC to allow for maximum flow-through.

and no, AMD Athlon is not 'bad' - i run an AMD Athlon - and i have the exact same problem as what you're describing.

When it gets really hot, I have to take the cover off the PC to get the temp down.

Depending on what motherboard you're running, you might be able to find a monitor application that tells you the temp of your CPU, Case and the Fan speeds.

AMD Athlon's run OK up until they hit about 66 / 67 degress... this is ONLY my experience... not a full blown fact !!

you might want to delve into your pocket and get another system fan... i've got 2 system fans and a big fat heat sink + fan on the CPU... that's the only way i've managed to get that sucker to run OK.

anyway - hope this helps.

let me know if you have any other problems.

It's the whole computer that is in the wrong place!
Move it so that any openings (especially in the rear) have at least 20-30 cm free space.
If you must store it under your desk, make sure that the sides or the back of that desk are open, so the computer can get rid of its 'hot' air.
The poor thing was overheating, very simply.
If necessary, cut a hole in the side/back of the desk, or move the PC out from underneath that deathtrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back