Having PC issues: The specified service does not exist as an installed service

Eric Bowling

Hello!!! I have recently been having issues with my PC, and after reading the forums, I decided it would be best if I made a thread. My issue is a bit complicated but can be explained. Basically, when I was cleaning old junk programs off my PC (iTunes, processor killers, etc.) that I no longer use, I ended up deciding AVG was a target for deletion, taking 25% of my CPU. However, during the uninstall, my power... went out... :( So, as you could guess, things went wrong from there. I quickly discovered programs wouldn't load or install, and after looking around, I found a folder in my system. $AVG. The vault was intact, along with leftovers of AVG in Program Files. I had to manually delete them. After that I installed Malware Bytes and Avast. I recovered a lot of my PC, but it still won't load programs. Here are it's specs:

PC: HP pavilion a1130n. 2 GB RAM and a GPU off Amazon (pretty sure the GPU is irrelevant and I don't feel like finding something irrelevant right now).

I have tried repairing it with an installation disc. Didn't work :(

What do I do now? It can boot anything in Safe Mode, but it can't install programs in Normal Mode. Internet works.

Won't load programs, yet you somehow installed two programs?

Are you saying .exe files won't open? If yes, do this.

What do you mean by "wont update" on your OS?

Sorry I didn't clarify.

1. EXE files will not open unless they were already installed on my PC, (ex. Internet Explorer)

2. I installed those in Safe Mode.

3. Windows won't update, despite the fact it has been trying to for a week.

I will try the link sometime today. Thanks!!!

<snip>It can boot anything in Safe Mode, but it can't install programs in Normal Mode. Internet works.

1) You mean you can "install" anything in Safe Mode? (If so, I assume you've enabled the MS Installer service in safemode then)

2) If the repair doesn't work then next try Windows 7 Clean boot troubleshooting http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

3) It may also be worthwhile to run the AVG Remover tool at some point

Already ran AVG remover... should have mentioned that. Windows 7 repair has also been run. No luck. I do believe I enabled MS Installer in Safe mode. I"ll try the link when I can. Thanks guys.

With the kind of problems you are having. Doing a factory restore On this HP . Might be better then trying ti fix it. If you decide this route. Don't forget to back your personal files. Up to a flash drive or DVD.

With the kind of problems you are having. Doing a factory restore On this HP . Might be better then trying ti fix it. If you decide this route. Don't forget to back your personal files. Up to a flash drive or DVD.

Can't; I've tried. I have no files I need on there, but when I did that the problem remained there D:

Give it a try. It might work. but from what you have stated so far you have some bad issue. Going on here. You may need a win 7 disk or a recovery disk.

Losing power during an unistall (or install) can mess up the disk surface and/or the NTFS tables. Running chkdsk /R will likely tell you if that has happened. Once the drive content has been somewhat scrambled in this way, the usual solution is only a re-install. But that may also fail if the disk surface is damaged. Beware a surface test can take hours. Less rigorous tests are possible. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

Losing power during an unistall (or install) can mess up the disk surface and/or the NTFS tables. Running chkdsk /R will likely tell you if that has happened. Once the drive content has been somewhat scrambled in this way, the usual solution is only a re-install. But that may also fail if the disk surface is damaged. Beware a surface test can take hours. Less rigorous tests are possible. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

Will this work for Windows 7?

Edit: I already ran 6-7 disk checks on it... Why? Because at the end of each one the computer shut off before I could read the results :p The last one said the disk was fine. ALL the disks.

Give it a try. It might work. but from what you have stated so far you have some bad issue. Going on here. You may need a win 7 disk or a recovery disk.

Already tried a recovery disk and install disk. Neither worked. I'll try a clean boot in safe mode later.

I was kind of wandering if maybe some of AVG is still in the computer. Did you try AVG uninstaller.

I know you mentioned it was gone . But you are still having problems. AVG really embeds it self in a system. This is was why I was wandering if maybe something of it was still installed. I have seen it uninstalled before an still left a service running from its self. Which was causing problems like yours. But if you are sure its gone. Then ok.

Suggestion : if you can download and prepare a bootable CD of any smallish portable linux (or ask a friend to do it for you), then if you boot off that CD you are in a position to do physical tests of your hardware without any interference whatever from Windows. This can sometimes be very revealing.

An alternative to Linux would be UBCD4Win the difference being that UBCD can include various hardware and malware tests during preparation.

Given the various symptoms you have reported, and the event that apparently precipitated them, I suggest a hardware fault is as likely as anything else. You would want to test the PC from the bios upwards, element by element. Regarding the drive tests you say you have done, why did they end with a bang? Have you done any disk surface tests? You say the power went off. Is that a known fact, or did the PC just cut out, not the mains power?

If you become satisfied that the hardware is ok, then you should be able to do a full install, but first off clean the HDD completely, I.e. delete partitions and start from the equivalent of a new disk.

Hi!!! Sorry I was not responding; my tablet's battery broke. Here's an update:

I checked the wrong disk, I am sceduling one now (silly me! :p)

I ran the wrong AVG uninstaller. It's gone now.

Attempting a clean boot tomorrow.

Sorry again for not replying.

1. No hardware issues. Turns out my PC proceeds with booting after running CHKDSK. Silly me. Again

2. Set up a clean boot, will tell you the affect it has on my PC later today when I have time to test it.

3. F8 no longer gives me the option to boot into safe mode... what's up with that?

Thanks everyone for all your help so far ;)

Yeah, the situation just got worse. I now get the error in SAFE MODE. I CAN'T CHANGE ANYTHING DX what now? I think a drive format may be the only option here...

No antivirus, no anti-malware, no... widgets... No anything. I will never use AVG again.
"Safe" mode sucks. :p

Sounds like you will need to reformat the drive. You will either need to order a recovery disk if you do not have one. Or just out right buy a windows disk.. As for the anti virus. Go with Avast or MSE. They are both pretty good free ones.

Sounds like you will need to reformat the drive. You will either need to order a recovery disk if you do not have one. Or just out right buy a windows disk.. As for the anti virus. Go with Avast or MSE. They are both pretty good free ones.

I use avast. I will NEVER use AVG again. I just reinstalled Windows 7. I guess that makes the problem solved now. Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. And people of the future, if you have this issue, JUST REINSTALL WINDOWS.

Back