having problems installing an OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effx

when install windows 2000 pro i get a blue screen and can not finish the install. I have an sata hd that it goes to the final screen of the saving settings then freezes. Then i got an IDE hd that after the copying files part of the install before the reboot i get a BSOD. The HD i bring home from class works thought but during some of the start up it goes into a BSOD. Any clues to what this might be.

Windows 2000 is picky about hardware. from what you are describing it sounds like it doesnt like some hardware on your system.

I'm not so sure about win 2000 but I also had a similar issue bsod while installing window xp... then I went on do some research and found out that it was my RAM, so I swap it (since it still under warranty) and there're no more bsod occure...

First check the RAM, as suggested. Go to www.memtest86.com and download the ISO and create a CD from it. Boot from this CD (you do not need a working Windows installed).
Let it run for a few hours, or overnight.

If that doesn't find anything, then take out any and all extra hardware not needed to load Win2000. Such as a modem, sound card, network card, wireless, capture. Whatever you can strip out. Then try loading 2000 again.

Let us know what happens eh?

well i ran the memtest and when i woke up i had 12000+ errors and onlt 22 pass so i guess i got bad stick of ram.

Try memtest.org for a more recent version of the software. You could get errors because the software doesn't properly recognize the hardware.

Thanks for the link Didou, I didn't realize m86 wasn't being worked on much anymore. I'm going to add this to my tools.

Didou said:
Try memtest.org for a more recent version of the software. You could get errors because the software doesn't properly recognize the hardware.

When I try to download "Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)" there are no files on the image? is there something wrong?

Ya it seems to be blank for me too. Hmm.

What are your hardware specs? Are you running 64bit and so on? If you're on 32 bit CPU with regular DDR400 or less, then the errors are likely accurate.

Try testing with just 1 stick at a time of whatever you can get your hands on. If a stick tests good, use it and see if the errors go away.

I just tried and it downloaded fine for me. The zip file contained what it was supposed to.

If the tomorrow morning ill post the new memory test tonight i am at school but here is my system specs so that if its not the memory someone might know if one of these components does not work with the others.

Hitachi 80GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/S-ATA-II-300
Chaintech GeForce 6200 Turbo Cache PCIe Supp. 256M
SimpleTech 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Asus K8N4-E Deluxe

I just see that you have a 64bit CPU, the original memtest may not have the best support, so try getting the new one again if you can. Or else maybe we should find a different memory tester. Not sure how good of 64bit support memtest86 has.

Other then that, keep your Windows and drivers up to date. Especially the video and I would check for a SATA driver as well on the ASUS web site.

You mean you ran the new memtest? If so, then you should replace the RAM.

You should not get even ONE error. This can cause data corruption and random crashing.

On a similar note, wasn't there a technology being created that would allow software to "ignore" faulty areas of RAM? Much like it does with bad sectors marked on a hard drive. I read about it some time ago. Some Microsoft thing I think.

yes i used the new one and still got a the errors so today i went out and bought a new stick and i am at school right now so tonight ill post how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back