HDD paradox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok check this out.

I've bought a new HDD (hitachi DK23FB-60, 60GB, ATA-5 5400rpm) for my toshiba 31CDT laptop, running on PhoenixBIOS 4.0 release 6.0 (it also says ATT04 BIOS but i have no idea what that is).

so the cool thing is, i stick in my WinXP CD, and boot from it, and it detects the HDD fine, formats it and copies the relevant files to it, but when it tries to reboot to boot from the HDD it doesnt't work cos THE BIOS DOESN'T DETECT THE DRIVE.

so basically the windows installer detects the drive but the BIOS doesn't. even the toshiba support people were like, "but that's impossible".

hope u can help me out here guys...

thx

I would say check your cable and jumper settings, but dang, it's a laptop :confused:

Did the BIOS detect the hard drive before you installed XP? Or did it only stop detecting it after you installed?

Not a paradox really, Windows doesn't need BIOS to do anything. If it can find the controller and a drive attached to it, Windows will work fine. Your only problem is that your laptop needs BIOS to recognize the drive to boot off it. Are you sure your machine/BIOS supports that hard drive? Maybe you need to update the BIOS.

maybe you need to enter the bios, it should tell you what key to hit on boot up, and check the bios settings. make sure the HD is setup properly in the bios, it should have an autodetect feature but if not, you may need to input the settings yourself. also, be sure to check the boot order, and see if the HD is in that list of things to try to boot from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back