HELP! HDD not recognized while reformatting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liggssss

Was hoping someone could be of assistance.

I've done clean installs many times before but never ran into this problem.

1.) BIOS is configured to boot from Optical drive containing OS Installation Disc-- System initializes fine, loading all the initial components.

2.) The minute it goes to install the OS, it indicates that it cannot find my HDD and I sit there pulling hairs.

-- When I enter the BIOS settings, the HDD is found and correctly listed.
-- I've tried a different SATA port, different power connectors, and even poked the HDD for kicks and giggles. At the end of the day, the computer will only recognize the HDD in BIOS.

What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance for your assistance, mates! Cheers!

Well, the main problem is that you probably haven't heard of search engines and don't want to use the search feature of the forums either :)

Now, assuming you are installing Windows XP/2000. You have to supply the drivers for your SATA controller on a floppy to make it install. Alternatively you may be able switch the AHCI to IDE compatibility mode in BIOS.

If you are installing some other OS, then obviously it doesn't support your SATA controller. Unless you have the IDE compatibility option in the BIOS, you have to use the OS-specific methods to supply extra drivers.

you must install the SATA drivers when windows asks you to. Have them on a floppy. You DO have a floppy right? All good computers users keep a floppy. ;)

Hello there Nodsu and Tedster.

I appreciate the assistance! I've reconfigured my BIOS to stop skipping over my SATA port and dance around the IDE. Thanks for zero-ing in on my oversight.

Much appreciated!

--Nodsu. I will from now on begin my queries with the search. Us newbies gotta start somewhere. But thanks for the guidance! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back