Help I did something stupid and dunno what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so I recently bought a harddrive from TigerDirect which ended up being faulty (Went much slower than it should have) So I deleted the partition and went and exchanged it. However, in doing so, my dual boot menu (Which had xp and vista on it) STILL has the vista from the previous harddrive on it and i have now a fresh copy of vista installed on the new harddrive, so there are 3 on the boot menu.

Windows XP
Vista
Vista

In that order, the 3rd vista will not work, and I do not know how to get rid of it. I don't want it to work, as there's no files at ALL for it to run off of, but I wish to know how to get it off of the boot menu. If anyone knows, please help.

Dariush

You can do it easily just by editing boot.ini which is on your active partition...First you have to tell windows to show you hidden files, go to My computer, on the Tools menu click on Folder options...than on the View tab you have to select "Show hidden files an folders"...now you can see your boot.ini fail on C: drive..right click on it and open with notepad...where it says [operating systems] you should have only 2 operative systems and you can delete the third one (old vista)...if you got any questions just post...cheers

I have saved that easy step by step page

Thanks gbhall, there's lots of literature and websites out there, this one seemes to be a good reference.

:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back