Help me build my rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all 1st time builder here. please help me find what i need to have a succesful install, so far i got my eye set on
athlon 64 3800+
asus a8n sli deluxe
chaintech se6600g, will buy 2nd if later on
single baracuda 120g sata drive

antechtrue430 psu... will this work for me??? is it atx 2.0??

which ram should i get?? please be specific since i have no idea what to buy .

any comments are appreciated!

A 20 pin psu can work in the newer 24 pin mobos, but if your going to buy a new psu anyway, then look for a 24 pin model(atx2.0).

thanks ill use just that ram and the power supply too where can i get a good tuturial how to build this thing or should i just follow mobo directions

This ram is a good brand (Corsair) and it's really cheap <$100 shipped. ram link It costs half of the money that the hyper x ram does, and is only a few % slower. If it were me, I would put the $100 difference somewhere that would make more difference, like upgrading to a 6800gt. That would improve performance a lot more than super fast ram would.

For power supplies, make sure you have enough 12v amperage. Get at least 25a, 30a is better. Here is a good guide to psu's.

Edit: Here's a pc building guide.

There isn't anything wrong with valueram, especially from a company with a good reputation. Usually the people who get 2-2-2 ram are the ones with fx55's and 6800ultra sli rigs. For a normal, mid/high performance rig, value ram is fine.
The $100 difference would get you a 6800 instead of a 6600gt, which would boost performance a lot more than slightly faster ram.

ok so far im getting the cheaper ram. the other 480w supply,, but the other video card u talk about how much is it? im paying about 180 for the chaintech, and i hear its an amasing card, I have a 5200 card now btw. would i be able to do the sli thing sumday with the other card?? anyway for now all i play is rome and diablo 2 i think the chaintech will do just fine right? i can always add the other when its cheaper and have 2 processors for video.

idunno wb

A 6800 is can be bought for less than $300. A 6800 is also sli ready, so you could add another one later on to get more performance. Remember though if you add another card for sli, they need to be the same model/manufacturer in order to make it work. 6800
Yeah, if you don't play demanding games, a 6600gt is more than enough. You could just pocket the $100 you saved on memory.

i was just also looking at the msi instead of chaintech.
But wow well i can def afford that price! (the 6800) good find! but is that a cheapo card?? is the processor better then the 6600gt? and ill need an even better power supply right?

thanks

19 in samsung syncmaster955df vga only

Most people consider Leadtek a good brand. Here's a link to a review of the leadtek 6800.

The 6800 requires a special "sli" power connector because it is too powerful to be powered by the mobo like the 6600gt is.

What makes the 6800 better is that it is a 12 pipe gpu, wheras the 6600gt is 8 pipe. This means the 6800 can process more at a time, which makes it faster. The 6800 also has a 256bit memory interface instead of a 128bit one like the 6600gt. This let's the 6800 access memory faster.

I'm not sure which psu to choose for an sli setup. Some recommend a dual (12v)rail psu, while others recommend a strong single rail psu. For a dual rail look for a rail with over 18a on at least one 12v line. For single rail look for 25a+(30a is even better).

The 6800gt is an awesome card, but it's ~$400. The 6800 is ~$300(more affordable). Cyro26 already said he's getting the a8n sli deluxe, so can use a sli configuration.

Edit: This
psu seems to be really good for its price. 480w. It seems to get very good reviews, and is quiet and cheap.

neopower 480 seems good for the a power supply since its atx2.o. for my board right?
as for the gpu, yes u sold me with ur explianation 6800gt is what i need
now that ram ( corsiar) are you sure its gonna work for my board?? will i be able to overclock ?? ( once i learn how).

planning to order from zipzoom tommarow

Are you looking at a 6800 or 6800gt? There's a $100 difference. The 6800 is 300, and the 6800gt is ~400.

No I can't say for sure if the Corsair will work, but corsair prides themselves on their compatibility. It most likely will work. What does the manual/recommended memory list say are good choices? Is corsair listed?

I think the neopower is good, antec is good. Seems powerful enough.

I think the corsair can oc some, I saw someone had their pc 3200 corsair value 400mhz mem at. 438mhz, so it can oc some. Just remember oc'ing is never guaranteed, it's a bonus. Some people get g. skill pc4400(i think) to oc, I think it's 150 a gig.

Ok, here's that g. skill stuff I had heard about. It's cas 2-3-3-6, which is pretty fast. I don't know if it's compatible with the a8n though. I don't think zzf sells it though, and newegg is out of stock. G. Skill pc3200 I think this g. skill stuff is made for oc'ing. Has some good reviews, and is pretty cheap for the speed.

I found an interesting forum thread about the a8n and memory. Here, check it out for yourself.

i just got the 1st vs corsiar u siad, i also got the chaintech 6600gt , 2nd soon!
260 sata drive
cooltechpsu
winches 3500+
a8n asus sli del mobo
hope it all works out and kicks sum ***

The 6600gt should be good enough, and if you ever need more power, then you can get another to speed it up.

What's a cooltech psu? Never heard of it.

Coolermaster RS-450-ACLX 450W Real Power Supply
u know theres a problem, my current power supply in the case im gonna use seems like a smaller 80mm fan then the 120mm this new one comes with, its not gonna fit in my old case right? wb

Power supplies are usually standard sized, so it should fit. I think the 120mm fan is on the bottom of the psu.

hey just wanted to say thanks for the speedy answers man.

2more ??? u think my new mobo will fit ??? im currently using Tyan S2090 Trinity i845. a p4 1.7

is the corsair ram i bought dual channel, does it even matter

Glad to help cyro 26. Your tyan board is atx form(12"x9.6") which is the same as the a8n mobo you listed. So it should fit. What case are you using? I don't think you said. Yeah, the corsair value runs in dual channel. Dual channel gives a little more performance than single channel.

awasome!!! my box is a no name but it looks cool, kinda like one of the things im keeping, and also my creative soundblaster card. + 4.1 speakers. isaw that guide to putting it all together i guess ill use that and the mobo manual to try and put it all to life. i cant wait for that 1st fire up.

Yeah, I know what you mean about that first fire up. I was excited and nervous at the same time. I was lucky, all my compents were compatible and I didn't get any "dead" parts, so the first fire up worked like it should.

For my first build, I read several "build a pc" guides and searched forums for answers to the questions I still had. Then I started building. I liked legos as a kid, so that might have helped some :). I had a few questions while building, so I posted them to a forum and got answers pretty quick. Forums are great for this kind of thing.

A few suggestions, put the cpu and heatsink on before you put the mobo in the case. If you're using a retail cpu's heatsink, you don't need thermal paste, it has a thermal pad on the heatsink. Also put the ram in, and the back panel I/O shield before you put the mobo in. The front panel connectors are easier to connect out of the case if the front panel wires are long enough to let you do it outside. Put your video card in. Connect the 24pin atx connector after the mobo is secured to the case. Connect the 4 pin mobo power connector. Connect power cables to your devices(hd, cd, floppy, etc). Connect data cables(cd floppy hd). Connect case fans to mobo or psu, whichever kind you have. Then check that everything is connected. Keep the case open when you first power up to be sure all the fans are working(cpu, gpu, psu, etc).

Don't add your extra pci cards (modem, sound, etc) until you have windows loaded. This eliminates them if you would have a problem when you boot up.

Good luck!

Edit: Don't forget that static kills computer parts. Touch a metal part of your case before you touch any component to reduce the risk of shocking it.

And I found another guide that might be helpful. Guide
I think this guide is really good, lots of pictures.

wow great guide man i wish i could look at it when i do this , (no printer yet)
its good u could of went over everything i got with me, ill sleep better tonight. Ill be sure to post and let u know how it all went!
btw, if i have cable, i wont need an ethernet card with this board.

also, ill need to reinstall my anti virus am i really at much risk if i dl a antivirus from the net before my pc is protected??

wooohooo i just keep asking stuff :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back