Help me optimize power settings for home file server

Vollezar

I built a Windows XP pro based home file storage. It's mainly used to store movies and music for my friend to access with his WDTV live thinga-magigy over LAN network.
The server is stored in out of the way in a cool dark place.I would like to setup so it goes to sleep when idle for a while, but wakes up if someone is trying to access it. How can I do this?

Thanks.
The specs ( in case it matters):
Pentium 4 2.5Ghz socket 478
512MB RAM
Intel PRO/100 VE onboard network card
80GB OS drive and 500GB storage drive

look for the settings Wake on LAN, usually associated with the custom settings for your NIC.

HOWEVER, you may not get what you expect. I Have the WDTV device (love it) and to access the pc
(movies, video, files), you go thru the sequence of selecting the Windows Shares and then the System/folder.

With what you are attempting, the server will be asleep when the user starts at the top of the selection process
{video, pictures, files} and the device will not be visible - - this is where we HOPE the server awakens and begins
redoing the sequence of selecting the Windows Shares and then the System/folder.

I have set the WDTV so it remembers what to access and the user/password combination. The server is the first thing it tries to access. I just checked the NIC card and it does have the settings for WOL. I guess I should make sure BIOS does as well. Thanks.

Back