Help on DSL+router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, folks:

My laptop cable internet works fine with 2wire gateway (SBC--DSL), but it does not connect to internet when a linksys befsr41 router is added in between.

I even can not access to the web unitility 192.168.1.1 with my IE.

Help, also I am not good at the IP/PING stuff

Thanks

i've had this problem before, so i'll try to talk you through.

your dsl modem must be set to bridged ethernet inorder to use a router.
to do that you need to first find out the default gateway of your modem.

follow these instructions (if you are using windows XP)
1. connect your laptop to your dsl modem
2. open up a command prompt (click Start--> Run--> and type cmd)
3. type ipconfig
4. look for the default gatway (should be something like 192.168.1.254)
5. close the command prompt and open up your web browser
6. type in you default gateway address in the address bar. This will allow you to access the modem configuration.
7. depending on your modem manufacturer, you will get different menu options. there should be on that say configration or advanced configuration. (this would be a good time to call you ISP, as they will be able to tell you how to access this menu.)
8. you will need to switch your modem from PPPoE to Bridged Ethernet.
9. you also need to disable the DHCP sever on the modem.
10. save the changes to your modem and exit the web browser.
11. plug your modem to your router and your router to you computer, and you should now have internet access.

if you have any questions, just let me know.

Regards

Nick

I might have typed it wrong, so i fixed it.

You have to obtain the default gateway of the modem so that he can access it and change it's configuration to bridged ethernet

Thanks, all, I didn't have time to try it out, untill this afternoon.

My DSL broadband advanced setting has setting of
"Direct IP( DHCP or static)
PPPoA
PPPoE
Routed IPoA"

I tried both direct IP and routed IP, and diabled DHCP of DSL. however, both gave me status of

DSL connected
internet not connected.

So I had to reinstall the DSL driver.

I couldn't figure out at this moment.

Any more ideas ?

Thanks a lot

From what you are telling me, it should work if you set it to Routed IPoA and turn off DHCP server on the modem.

After doing that be sure that the modem is then connected to the router and that the router is then connected to the computer.

If that doesn't work, will you tell me who your ISP is and what type of modem they provided you with?

Hi, Nick:

I am using Yahoo/AT&T DSL, 2wire.com, 2700HG-B
Linksys Etherfast DSL/cable router BEFSR41.

Please instruct. Thanks a lot.

Puppy

Sometimes, too, you get foiled by the "Auto" settings in the LinkSys. Be sure to check them to assure they are set right. On this kind of a setup, it is very useful to read the online LinkSys manual

Connect the DSL Modem to the WAN port on the BEFSR41, and make sure the computer is connected to one of the 4 ports. Turn everything on. In your Internet browser, type the address 192.168.1.1 You shoud get to a Linksys setup screen. Leave User Name blank and type admin for the password. On the opening page make sure the settings are proper for your DSL account or reset the router to it's default settings

I just did some digging up and realized that your modem is also a router. It wasn't necessary to purchase the linksys router. Infact, if your laptop has a wireless card, then you don't have to be hardwired into your router. i appologize for possibly misleading you previously, and it would be best to return your modem to it's factory default settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back