Help upgrading my computer (graphic card and psu)

Ok, so I am thinking about buying a gpu for my PC. First of all the specs for it here

I was browsing through newegg and trying to find a decent gpu, have a $300 budget, but then in a review I was warned about the size of the gpu and then I also realized that I'll need a new psu. My problem is that most new gpus (pci-e 3.0 x16) are behemots in size apparently (11"x5"), etc, and it seems they won't fit onto my mobo, or will they?

I just don't want to buy a new gpu and psu just to find out that they won't fit. This is the first upgrade I'll be doing to my computer.

Can anyone help me recommending me cards and psu or at least giving me a guideline of what size of card should I be looking at? Also if I'm able to use double slot cards or not.

Thanks in advance

The graphics cards wil fit in your motherboard as you have a 2.0 16x PCIe slot and from what I can see your case can fit a dual slot card (as far as card slots on the back go) but I cannot find any details regarding the length from the card slots to the (hard drive cages?) edge of the case. The best way would be if you could measure the length from the card slots to the hard drive cages / edge of the case, then we can recommend an appropriately sized card and a new PSU based on the recommended card.

My problem is that most new gpus (pci-e 3.0 x16) are behemots in size apparently (11"x5")
PCIe 3.0 is not a physical size variable, it is mainly a bandwidth variable as it doubles the throughput of PCIe 2.0. PCIe 2.0 doubled the throughput of PCIe 1.0.

Your specs list a 300W power supply, so yes you will need a new PSU as well. I'd recommend a 500W, unless you get the top of line card. But then on a $300 budget, I'd say about $230 for graphics and $70 for PSU. A $230 budget will not get you a new single graphics card that requires more than 500W's

Graphics Cards (R9 270X or GTX 760
Power Supplies (500W - 600W)

Its not the motherboard you will have to worry about, PCI-E 3.0 is backwards compatible in both senses meaning a 2.0 slot can run a 3.0 card and a 3.0 slot can run a 2.0 card so you have nothing to worry about. If were talking about size, you just need to really worry about case dimensions. Make sure you have plenty of clearance for the card in your case and you will do fine.

As @cliffordcooley said above, a 500watt is plenty on that budget. If I were going to throw my hat in the ring at that budget, heres what I would do:

Corsair CX 500Watt Bronze PSU $59.99
PowerColor Devil R9 270X $219.99

That Powercolor card is the highest overclocked model and will come with a nice cooler equipped to keep it cool. You will get the most bang of performance at that value right there!

Thank you, yeah I knew about pcie 3 and the lanes and bandwith, what worried me is the physical size of the graphics card and the mobo, but thanks to hopgob1 I understand that I need to measure the space on the case, I'll get to doing that.

And thanks to cliffordcooley and ghostryder for the recommendations :D that's exactly what I was looking for.

Back