Here's everything that's new in the Windows 10 May update

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: Microsoft will be rolling out the Windows 10 May 2020 update soon, with rumors suggesting it’ll start arriving sometime next week. If you’re curious to know what changes it’ll bring, here’s a rundown of the highlights.

Windows Latest writes that the May update, which was supposed to roll out on May 12 but got delayed due to a zero-day vulnerability, will start rolling out between May 26 – 28. Let’s hope it doesn’t cause the kind of issues we’re used to seeing in Windows updates.

Reserve Space now optional

You might remember that back in January last year, Microsoft added a feature that reserved 7GB or more for updates. It meant that users no longer risk running out of storage space in the middle of a large update, and they shouldn’t see their free disk space decrease during the download process.

Microsoft might have thought the feature would be welcomed by users, by many didn’t appreciate Windows 10 consuming an additional 10GB of space. Thankfully, Reserved Storage can now be disabled using the DISM tool in Windows 10 version 2004 or newer.

New Logos

December saw Microsoft reveal plans to revamp over 100 of its icons for the company’s various services, tools, and apps. The change affects the Windows logo, File Explorer, Notepad, Paint, and many others, bringing them in line with the “Fluent Design” philosophy.

The May update brings the new icons to Microsoft’s first-party apps, adding more uniformity with Windows 10X.

Cloud Downloads

Another feature we first heard about via an Insider Preview Build last year was a cloud recovery system. Most of us have ran into problems with Windows 10, and some of these are serious enough to require a system recovery, restoring a PC back to its default state. That usually means digging out the original Windows installation media, which many of us will admit to having lost.

With the Cloud Recovery button, you can reinstall Windows 10 from a system image directly from Microsoft’s servers, so no need to hunt down that USB drive/CD.

Other changes

Elsewhere, Windows Search will only index files when the PC isn’t being actively used, thereby increasing the overall performance. There’s also the introduction of the Display Driver Model (WDDM) 2.7, which is good news for those who use multiple monitors as it improves video output, performance, and refresh rates on these setups. Finally, support for 10th generation Intel Comet Lake processors and AMD's Ryzen 4000-series processors has been added, and on new PCs, Microsoft is ending support for 32-bit versions of Windows 10.

Permalink to story.

While not mentioned here I'm waiting to see their direct support for remote camera's and hope (a) it really works, (b) covers a wide range of camera's, (c) allows you to set it up to record images, etc. to help get rid of these God awful, very expense services! That alone will make this a great upgrade, even though the other stuff looks pretty good too!

"That usually means digging out the original Windows installation media, which many of us will admit to having lost"

Who does this? you have been able to download clean install media since Vista.....

People with windows that won't boot and therefor don't have access to download of the iso? But I don't see how "cloud reinstall" would solve this, unless you can get to that part in some manner of pre-boot screen that will have access to internet. Which would mean the return of "press F8"

People with windows that won't boot and therefor don't have access to download of the iso? But I don't see how "cloud reinstall" would solve this, unless you can get to that part in some manner of pre-boot screen that will have access to internet. Which would mean the return of "press F8"
I will be very happy if I would go to safe mode by simple pressing F8 during boot instead of what we have now.

The media creation tool is meant to allow an easy way to create the installation media. USB or even disk. And really that is what everyone should do. I think cloud reinstall can be useful but I agree with you that its usefulness is limited in critical need situations.

The original Windows installation media is ALWAYS faster than restoring from the Cloud (unless one is sitting on 1 Gigabit internet hose - and the cloud servers are sitting idle waiting for us to restore....)

Out of all that, actually the brief paragraph of "other changes" are the ones making any sense (icons...seriously?!). Why would it need a "release", it's still beyond me....anyway, let's hope it will go smoothly (yes, I play lottery too :) )

Nothing at all I care about really. I just installed Linux Mint 19.3 on another hard disk drive and even got Steam games working on it. I'd like to wait a year to install this update. I don't like being a guinea pig for Microsoft's rushed updates.

The media creation tool is meant to allow an easy way to create the installation media. USB or even disk. And really that is what everyone should do. I think cloud reinstall can be useful but I agree with you that its usefulness is limited in critical need situations.
That's what I do. I'll create a USB install drive for each release before the new one drops, so I'll at least have a stable release to use. I have 1903 currently, so I need to make sure I have 1909 on hand. Still, I don't have a pressing need to upgrade until the end of the year.

You know you can actually disable Windows Update right? And re-enable it whenever you need to.

Well, I remember the times when it was impossible to permanently disable it. Eventually it would do the update whether enabled or disabled. Nice that it can be disabled permanently now. I'm not against updates, I'm just against being the alpha-tester.

A lot of people want to never have to disable them again. Then once a virus or malware of any kind infects the pc they will still blame Microsoft.

Whenever Microsoft (or anyone else) releases a new version or a major update, that's basically very poorly tested software. The best examples of that are major versions of Windows, such as Windows ME, Windows Vista, Windows 8, etc. where they didn't even test the basic features, let alone details.

I'm not paid to be a beta tester. So I'd rather not use that version. Let everyone else debug the software (for free) and then when they release the critical patch with the most problematic parts fixed, then I update my system.

Remember Windows 8? Total crap. Remember Windows 8.1? A huge improvement.

Does the update also install flawlessly on all hardware? If so, that would be something new. ?

I wonder what M$ exec complained that they could barely use their computer because the search indexing service was churning away all the time. It's been years that that, IMO, has been a problem, and they are finally getting around to rectifying it? :facepalm:

Windows 10 May update is also bringing with it an feature called "hardware accelerated GPU scheduling".

It will only be available on NVIDIA Pascal and newer architectures at the moment, AMDs drivers do not support it at the moment. And I am not sure if/when AMD will support it.

This new feature is API agnostic, so it works with DX9/10/11/12/OpenGL and Vulkan. It hands of scheduling to the GPU itself and improves min and average FPS in some games. It allows the CPU/GPU to be used more efficiently and even benefits video playback and other apps as well.

You will find the setting in "Graphics Settings" in Win10s "Settings". Once enabled you will need to restart your PC for it to take effect. I have been keeping my eye on it in forums and I have seen some good boosts for some tested games, even an DX11 game like "The Witcher" and DX9 games like "Fear".

But all testing was done on Windows Insider builds with beta NVIDIA drivers, so results were not always great for every games. Anyway, I think it would be one of the main reasons to upgrade to Win10 May 2020 update (and also all the other new WDDM features as well of course).

Back