Here's why Intel's Meteor Lake desktop CPUs could be a major disappointment

DragonSlayer101

Staff
The big picture: Having launched its 13th-gen 'Raptor Lake' lineup last year, Intel is expected to release its Raptor Lake Refresh later in 2023 before rolling out the 'Meteor Lake' chips in 2024. However, a new leak about Intel's next-gen CPU lineup is sure to disappoint at least some people.

According to a slide uploaded to Twitter by prolific tipster @SquashBionic, the Meteor Lake-S range could have only entry-level and mid-range CPUs rated for 35W and 65W. The slide, which is believed to be part of an official Intel presentation document, suggests that the Meteor Lake-S lineup will include Core i3 and Core i5 chips for mainstream desktops, while folks looking for high-end Core i7 and i9 chips with up to 125W TDPs will have to look at the Raptor Lake Refresh or Arrow Lake-S lineups.

The slide also shows that Meteor Lake-S and Arrow Lake-S will share Intel's Socket V1 for LGA1851 CPUs and the 800-series chipset platform, while the Raptor Lake-S will have the Socket V0 for LGA 1700 processors and be compatible with Intel's 600/700 series chipsets. However, there will be at least one major difference between Meteor Lake-S and Arrow Lake-S: the latter will seemingly allow for more advanced voltage-regulating modules for improved performance.

There's no more new information to report, but earlier leaks revealed several details about the Meteor Lake family. The top-end Meteor Lake desktop processor is expected to have up to 22 cores and 28 threads, which is fewer than the 24 cores and 32 threads in the Core i9-13900K (Raptor Lake). On the laptop side, the top-of-the-line Meteor Lake chip is rumored to have 14 cores, including 6 performance cores and 8 efficiency cores.

Meanwhile, a recently-leaked internal Intel document seemingly confirmed long-standing rumors that Meteor Lake will be marketed as Intel's 14th-gen Core processor lineup. Online speculations also suggest that the Raptor Lake Refresh will have the 13th-gen Core branding like the original Raptor Lake, while Arrow Lake will be earmarked as the 15th-gen Core family.

Most of the details about Intel's upcoming processor lineups still remain a mystery for now, including their launch dates. However, we will likely know more about that in the coming weeks and months. Either way, the aforementioned leak comes from an unofficial source, so take it with a pinch of salt until it's confirmed by Intel.

Permalink to story.

I think ML is mobile and low power only.
AL is the true Zen 5 counter.
This all happends in 2024.

...and this is when I will upgrade.

Rumors are now saying that it is possible that Meteor Lake will be the i3/i5 and that Arrow Lake will be the i7/i9, both on 14th generation. I don't know how plausible these rumors are, or if Intel 20A is ahead of schedule for volume ramp in 2023.

I think the main thing to watch from Intel is when do these products launch? Has intel finally fixed its node woes and can volume ramp products based on new nodes on time? Meteor Lake is Intel 4, Arrow Lake is Intel 20A.So what I am looking at is when does volume ramp commence?

TSMC has also had somewhat of a delay of volume ramp for 3nm, but according to reports, it has finally commenced volume ramp for Apple 3nm designs for both iPhone and iPad/Macintosh.

Intel are the Devil and Nvidia are his minions, AMD and Radeon are the future.

Nvidia is a much, much bigger company than Intel now. 5.5 times bigger actually. Intel is $121 billion market cap, Nvidia $665 billion market cap) So calling Nvidia the minion is kinda silly.

Where have you been the past 3 years?

Thank you for the info Kishalaya Kundu. It's nice to know, seems the conclusion is this is a good moment to buy. However it's funny to see a kinda pretentious title on your note but it works, I suddenly picked the read just by looking at the words "major disappointment", as I think anyone would like to avoid waiting in vain.

I think this is the way almost all chip makers work, one year they release a major upgrade with the flagships for enthusiasts, but is not meant to be every year. This happened also with AMD as we all saw how the Ryzen 4000 series were meant to be mostly mobile chips, with just a few low power CPU options like the good and cheap 4600g, now is the turn for Intel.

Anyway, it's a good time to get the 13900K.

Well nothing surprising in this. Meteor Lake is at least 12 months late. Intel is moving to a new node shrink, a chiplet design and using a Foveros FPGA interposer. This is proving a lot harder to do than they expected. Meteor Lake is only a mobile focused cpu as it can't hit the high clocks for performance desktop. This is why Raptor Lake is being refresed to carry the desktop cpus until Arrow Lake is released 2024. Arrow lake will be a major refinement of Meteor Lake and offers 8P cores and has much higher clocks. I wouldn't touch Meteor Lake at all, it's beta product IMO paving the way for Arrow Lake and beyond. If you are already on Alder or Raptor Lake just wait for Arrow Lake or Zen 5.

All AMD has to do is not blow up their CPUs and anyone that primarily builds for gaming has zero reason to even look Intel's way. I have no idea what Intel is doing and why.

"pinch of salt"

In the context you write, the phrase should have been grain of salt, not pinch.

You aren't cooking soup are you?

All AMD has to do is not blow up their CPUs and anyone that primarily builds for gaming has zero reason to even look Intel's way. I have no idea what Intel is doing and why.
The irony embedded in your statement is amusing. A desire to avoid CPUs that can blow up is a perfect reason to look Intel’s way 🤣 why pay $$ to play Russian roulette with an x3d cpu ?

Intel are the Devil and Nvidia are his minions, AMD and Radeon are the future.
AMD is screwing you like a sailor on shore leave. AMD's pricing is no better than Nvidia and it's clear from them dropping prices so soon after launch. I'd hate to have bought an AMD CPU or GPU at launch. Give it 30 days and there will be discounts and price reductions.

Back