How can i hook up "party" speakers for my laptop? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i am having a party coming up and i just got a new laptop and want to now how i can hook up some speakers to it? i have software already for digital turntables and all i need to know is how to get speakers (good enough for a party- regular dj speakers-)connected to my laptop and what i need to get to make it all happen. and if any of yall live in usa and know a good place to get some cheap but good speakers to hook up to my laptop let me know please.
Thanks
Matt

p.s. if you know any websites let me know too.thanks!
Laptop= Dell Precision windows Xp

You cannot connect the speakers diretly - your wee soundcard just doesn't have the output power needed. Well, unless the speakers have a builtin amplification system.

So instead you have to connect your monsterspeakers to some amplifying unit and then feed that from your laptop. You probably need a 3.5mm stereo male to dual RCA male cable to make the link from your lappy to the sound system.

a word of advice when buying speakers - hear them before you buy and always go by the RMS watt rating

Another question? I NEED HELP! ANYONE?

ok so i have a sony 5.1 audio/video control center with a 5.1 multi channel in. this is hooked up to 4 speakers and a subwoofer(i play my radio on this). is there any way to hook up that2 my laptop? and with the amp unit....i need to do what with that dealing with wires? how do i hook up speakers to the amp? if anyone doesnt mind giving me a reply with "steps"( i dont know much on electronics so if you could speak english::confused: ) on what to do and how to do it.
Thank You
Matt
P.S. wheres a good store around town to go to for an amp unit? what "name" do i ask for?

i dont have an amp yet i need to know like what i need to get my speakers connected to my laptop(and what i need and how to connect the things). i have a audio/video control center that i want to know if i could some how connect that to my laptop. the audio center has 2 speakers and a subw-woofer. if anyone can help, please reply back.
Thank You
Matt

Yes, absolutely.

Look at your AV center and see if has a "line in" or an "aux" connector somewhere. Just run a cable from your laptop's "line out" or headphones jack to that.

i dont have one on my laptop, do i have to get a sound card or what do i need to get? if can please be specific (thanks i dont much bout comp.)
Thank You
Matt

On a normal laptop, there should be two holes on one of the sides. One saying Microphone or have a picture of it, the other is Headphones or a picture representing that. Its a small hole (about 3.5mm). This is where you plug your headphones or a cable to.

Can you play any sound/music right now (ie just put in a music cd and play it) and hear it without anything connected to your laptop?

If you can, there is already onboard sound card on your laptop.
If you can't, then you'll need something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102185

The thing these guys were talking about before that i think you got confused in is that you won't be able to connect your laptop directly to some unpowered speakers (minus headphones) because you'll hear little or no sound at all from them.

However, if you're going through the sony, which is the amplifier unit that controles the speakers correct? you just need a cable that sends the music from the laptop to the sony. At most you'll probably need a cable like this http://www.bdog.fi/netstore/tuotekuvat/06328.jpg or similar. This will plug into one of the "Inputs" or "Line In" on the back (or front) of your amplifier. Its usualy the Red (left) and White (right) connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back