How do I reformat my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

momsgonelooney

Howard told me that I need to reformat my comp. and I agree. The problem is that I don't know much about reformatting. I did find manuals on how to do it but, since the ppl here have been of much help to me I was wondering if there was a guide that I could get from here on how to do it. Just something simple from step 1 to finish. I would ask my tech guy to do it but, last time he took my comp. I didn't see it again for many wks and I know with help from all of you that I could probably reformat it this weekend.Please post help. Thank you.

OS Pleeeeeeeze

Every one is different.
:rolleyes:
Who's Howard ?
Why do you and Howard think this is necessary ?
:)

In your other thread you posted to say your problem was fixed.

Is this now not the case?

If you need to reformat, do the following.

You need to do the following.

Diconnect from the net and don`t reconnect, until you have your firewall software installed.

1 Restart your computer and go to setup usually by pressing the F2 or delete key.

2 Once you get into setup look for the boot menu and make sure you set it to boot from cd first followed by your hard drive.

3 Put the Windows xp disk into your cd.

4 Now save your settings and exit setup.

5 While your computer is booting you will see a message that says "press any key to boot from cd" press any key.

6 When the welcome to setup screen appears press enter and then press F8 to accept the Microsoft licence agreement.

7 You will be prompted to repair an installation press the escape key.

8 Now select the partition that you want to reformat and press the D key to delete it you will be asked to confirm that you want to delete the partition.

9 Now press C to create a brand new partition you will be asked what size you want the partition to be in mega bytes. If you just press enter then the partition will be the maximum size that you can have. This is perfectly ok if you don`t want to create multiple partitions.

10 You will now be asked to format the partition select the ntfs file sytem and do a full format.

11 Once the format is complete setup will continue.

Your computer will restart during the remaining setup again you will be asked to press any key to boot from cd DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING and setup will continue. Once the setup is complete and you are back in Windows remove the Windows cd from your cd drive.

Install your firewall software and reconnect to the net. Install whatever drivers you need, then run Windows updates.

Finally, install whatever programmes/software you want.

zipperman: I recommended a reformat due to what appeared to be registry corruption, see thread linked above.

Regards Howard :)

repair possible instead of reformate?

I'm not having the same problems the comp. isn't locking up any more or freezing but, now i am receiving error messages and every time I open a program I get a chkdsk icon on my task bar. I was told that my disk has a repair option on it. Would it be better to try to use the repair option before I reformat?

thank you howard for all yous patience with me and your help. I found a program that repairs xp for me and it seemed to work. I don't recieve any more error messages and everything seems to be working like it used to. Thank you very much.

What is that program that repairs xp? Please provide a link. I'm have a problem with my PC running slowwwwww. I'm thinking that I may need to reformat. The last time I reinstalled my OS and reformatted, was like 2 and a half years ago.

Currently, I have FFXI Online, iTunes, 20GB of music and video, and a few other programs on the pc. I use TrendMicro PC Chillin for antivirus, AdAware, Spybot, and windows defender. Mostly, I'm worried about the FFXI and music and thinking about getting an external HD to move them to while I reformat.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

sniper671 said:
I'm have a problem with my PC running slowwwwww.
Before reformatting your system, consider starting a new thread in our Security and the Web forum explaining how your computer's been running slow and stuff. It's very likely that it's some virus, trojan, spyware, or something like that, that could be cleaned without reformatting.

That's what I recommend anyway.

MSoft FAQ

How do you perform a reinstallation of Windows XP, sometimes called a repair installation?

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Guys please read the thread properly. ;)

In post#6 momsgonelooney clearly states that her system is fixed and she has no more problems.

In post#3 I linked to momsgonelooney`s post in the security and the web forum, where we cleaned her system of nasties.

In post#5 I had already given momsgonelooney a link to the How to repair Windows thread.

Unless momsgonelooney says otherwise, it seems that her problem is solved.

Regards Howard :)

My repair was to Sniper671 in ascii and
Microsoft advice for all to read.
No quotes you keep telling me.!
He didn't read your link it seems.

OK, I was talking to sniper671.

Anyway, I guess this thread is solved. If anyone has any more problems, open a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back