How to Deep Clean Your Keyboard

After cleaning my keyboard I put it upside down when I'm done using it until the novelty wears off.

I just use isopropyl alcohol and q-tips. Takes somewhere around 6-8 or so q-tips.

If not for my desire to have n-key rollover I would say it's not even worth that time and cost. A membrane keyboard is much cheaper and designed to be disposed of. Certain keyboards are even designed so that dust and hair won't get into the keys during the useful life of said keyboard.

Mech keyboards can still fail, especially the LEDs on them at which point it's pretty tough to replace that individual LED, I don't think it's even usually possible on most, any design I've had anyway. Even without the LED the switches eventually do wear out. I've retired 2 mech keyboards, and am currently just using a cheaper Redragon one that I'll probably dump in a few years if necessary. I'm done spending $100+ on a mech keyboard, that's for sure.

Good article. Cleaning keyboards is pretty easy and well worth it. We have several keyboards with mechanical (Cherry) key switches, including a 2014/15 Das Keyboard that's still going strong, a Corsair K65 RGB, and a no-name with Cherry green switches. All have been 'loaded' with cups of sugary coffee/tea, then cleaned in the bath tub.

Some people use a dishwasher but I think hand cycling the key switches is important to flush them out. I don't know if this works with membrane switches.

It's nice but not necessary to disassemble the keyboard. I always pull the key caps because they dry faster if they're not loaded up with water.

You might want to snap a picture of your particular keyboard/layout in case you forget which key goes where.

Use a soft brush to clean loose dirt off the keyboard. Fill your bathtub with warm water. Put the keyboard in the water. Cycle all the switches a couple of times. This gets water into the switches to start softening the internal gunk. Next to it put your key caps.

Wait for 15-20 minutes. Just to soften the gunk.

Clean the key caps. I use a blue scotch pad (non abrasive).

Now use a small nylon brush (toothbrush?) to clean the keyboard exterior. Go between key switches and in all accessible crevices.

Cycle the key switches until they free up. That causes a strong pumping action that positively flushes out dissolved gunk.

Take everything out of the tub.

If you have a compressor you can power-blow most of the water out of the switches and key caps. Otherwise turn the keyboard upside down, cycle the switches a few times. That will pump lots of the water out.

Hang upside down and let dry. Probably a day.

Reassemble.

We have had no problems with this process. But I take no responsibility! YMMV.

Last edited:
We have had no problems with this process. But I take no responsibility! YMMV.
Yeah, I don't think people here are dumb enough to dunk their electronics on your say so.

Then again there was those people who nuked their new iPhones in the microwave to charge them because people on the internet said so. Silly sausages. Next they'll be throwing their whole computer tower in the dish washer.

Actually, I've heard of the dishwasher method for years. I guess decades really. I've never done it myself, but I would think that if it killed your keyboard, that info would be out in the open by now. I don't think any soap is used, and no boost to heat. Just regular water. In my case, I have an external dishwasher that I hook up to the tap, so I can purposely set the water to a warm but not hot temp.

Food for thought. Anyone want to try it and get back to us to tell us if it works or not? :)

Yeah, I don't think people here are dumb enough to dunk their electronics on your say so.

Then again there was those people who nuked their new iPhones in the microwave to charge them because people on the internet said so. Silly sausages. Next they'll be throwing their whole computer tower in the dish washer.

Actually, I've heard of the dishwasher method for years. I guess decades really. I've never done it myself, but I would think that if it killed your keyboard, that info would be out in the open by now. I don't think any soap is used, and no boost to heat. Just regular water. In my case, I have an external dishwasher that I hook up to the tap, so I can purposely set the water to a warm but not hot temp.

Food for thought. Anyone want to try it and get back to us to tell us if it works or not? :)
You have the external dishwasher, you can go first :)

Back