How to Get Into World of Warcraft in 2018

Always had a blast playing WoW in beta and its initial release for several months. I have came back and left several times but never enjoyed it as much. Probably going to try it again once they bring classic server(s) back.

If you are completely new, fine. But man, I have whacked more WoW moles than I ever cared too at this point.

Part of me thinks the working title for this article was, "How to become an insomniac while simultaneously forget about everything you love IRL"

Part of me thinks the working title for this article was, "How to become an insomniac while simultaneously forget about everything you love IRL"

Right? WoW is a time-sink for sure. But it's probably the best MMO - I remember every time a new one would come out the comparison was 'is it a WoW-killer'? Meaning - can it steal WoW players. Last I remember they reduced that time-sink requirement by giving you big rewards only once a week, instead of small rewards every day. This means you can play less and get the same amount as someone with lots of free time.

I haven't played in years, but one thing that always impressed me about it was how the game never took itself too seriously. You'd occasionally get a quest to help some poor dwarf find his barrel of ale - and quite often the giant gross monsters had voices like children. It was often silly in an entertaining way. One of the reasons it's rated Teen is because you can get your character drunk. Yes, there's 13 years of content, but there's also 13 years of tweaking and improving.

This is too weird .I have the original ,and the Burning Crusade.never installed either .and have no intention. was never my kind of game.I didn't really have the time for that much aimless gaming. give me a good FPS anyday.

Played for 9 years... almost quit cold turkey when last expansion (100-110) came out over a course of about 3 months. Turns out I was correct when I said I played only for the social factor. After our long long long term guild members started to have other commitments, the social aspect died off. We were always on Ventrilo chatting and such. Without that, it's just a boring game to me. If you have friends on, its awesome.

"Pay attention to face and skin color. Most other options can be changed at in-game barbershops later."

You can now change skin colour and face in the barber shop. Though at this point it maybe should be called something other than a barber shop.

I have been playing since vanilla, But I am really very casual these days, I enjoy levelling a lot more now since the changes though, It's still a bit easy but it's certainly much better.

Very much looking forward to what they do with the Vanilla server... I have no expectations it will be the same as original but whatever they do will most likely be fun.

Is World of Warcraft game community decent to female player?

My experience is that your gender makes no difference (Nor does sexual orientation). All the best guilds I raided with had a roughly equal number of male and female players and there was nothing to tell between them, And you don't have to tell anyone your gender if you don't want to. That's been my experience of course...YMMV.

Very well written and humorous. And yeah, go gnome or go home. If I could only have one character, it would have to be a gnome druid, but since gnomes can't be druids, gnome warlock, gnome mage, gnome warrior, and night elf druid. I played for years and had a full roster of chars and my own guild (for the bank), "Death by Snoo-snoo". Then one day, when I logged in after an absence, I found my account had been pillaged, the gold, mats, and equipment on all my characters stolen, my guild bank emptied, all four tabs. I still believe it must have been an inside job, but Blizzard claims they can't identify the culprit(s). How do you continue after that?

I've been playing WOW since it first came out ~14 years ago. It really is a brilliant and captivating game. Sure, Ive taken some breaks for a month or so (usually during downtime just before a new expansion comes out) This game always provides plenty of things to work toward and in 14 years, I've rarely been bored. It's made for a wonderfully affordable hobby.

Is World of Warcraft game community decent to female player?

Sure! I have at least 8 women in my guild. There is a general misconception that all wow players are guys, but that's totally wrong. My wife played for several years but grew tired of it post pregnancy. The community can be a little toxic at times but not towards women.

Very well written and humorous. And yeah, go gnome or go home. If I could only have one character, it would have to be a gnome druid, but since gnomes can't be druids, gnome warlock, gnome mage, gnome warrior, and night elf druid. I played for years and had a full roster of chars and my own guild (for the bank), "Death by Snoo-snoo". Then one day, when I logged in after an absence, I found my account had been pillaged, the gold, mats, and equipment on all my characters stolen, my guild bank emptied, all four tabs. I still believe it must have been an inside job, but Blizzard claims they can't identify the culprit(s). How do you continue after that?

Trifling gnome! Your arrogance will be your undoing! Everyone knows Tauren is the Master Race. as far as the account, Blizz will usually restore your account after something like that happens..

Last edited:
Trifling gnome! Your arrogance will be your undoing! Everyone knows Tauren is the Master Race. as far as the account, Blizz will usually restore your account after something like that happens..
They gave me some gear and a few hundred gold, but there was no restoration of the account.

Back