How to know my router's login password and username?

I want to login into the admin settings of my router but the problem is I don't know the username and password to login into it. I asked my ISP for it. but those morons also don't know (I don't know why they gave me this router then)

Your welcome Default is "Password" and "Admin" without the quotes. Let us know how things go!
Try a common username and password combination: By default, many routers use a blank username and the password “admin” (don’t type the quotes), the username “admin” and a blank password, or “admin” as both the username and password.

Your welcome Default is "Password" and "Admin" without the quotes. Let us know how things go!
Try a common username and password combination: By default, many routers use a blank username and the password “admin” (don’t type the quotes), the username “admin” and a blank password, or “admin” as both the username and password.
Yeah Sure I will let you know in few hours

I have a combination router NETGEAR. I have never changed the password. I hate passwords!:D My password is password!
Hope this helps!
Capture25.JPG

WARNING TO ALL USERS WITH A ROUTER:

• you MUST alter the default admin password
  • it is highly recommended that you disable port 8080 (used for remote administration)
WHY? Because there are only two unknowns between ME and gaining access and control of your router (hopefully you understand that to list both of these is irresponsible).

The default passwords for ALL routers are already public and a two variable guessing game is not difficult if you know what you are doing.

@Gabriel Pike -- jump in as you please

I asked my ISP for it. but those morons also don't know (I don't know why they gave me this router then)
Most likely it's a modem+router and they don't want service calls from users fouling out the modem.

• you MUST alter the default admin password
  • it is highly recommended that you disable port 8080 (used for remote administration)
WHY? Because there are only two unknowns between ME and gaining access and control of your router (hopefully you understand that to list both of these is irresponsible).

The default passwords for ALL routers are already public and a two variable guessing game is not difficult if you know what you are doing.

@Gabriel Pike -- jump in as you please

Absolutely agree! I may make a separate post soon that will describe some of the nasty things bad guys can do.

BTW: If you log into your router, you can help yourself and, believe it or not, the whole Internet by disabling UPnP.
The WiKi says
Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a set of networking protocols that permits networked devices, such as personal computers, printers, Internet gateways, Wi-Fi access points and mobile devices to seamlessly discover each other's presence on the network and establish functional network services for data sharing, communications, and entertainment. UPnP is intended primarily for residential networks without enterprise-class devices.
This means, your router can be made to not only discover other systems, but to also participate in world wide DDoS attacks.

Become a "friend of the Internet" - - disable UPnP.

ps: This is in the router, and not the same as the PnP service of Windows.

Additional thought: DISABLE PING REPLY FROM THE INTERNET.

You will still have PING inside the Lan, but there's no reason to allow any JoeDoe to scan your ISP connection (aka the WAN side) with Ping. If you do reply, then the culprits knows they probe you with other tools to attempt access. No reply, however suggests there is no active equipment at your address and they will just move on looking for low-hanging-fruit.

Back