How to tell if the CPU is damaged?

dbarcenas3358

Hello all,

I recently decided to make an attempt at building my own computer. So far things have been going so-so at best. My first major problem was a wiring one where I shorted out the cpu cooler. I didn't notice this at first, so the cpu ran for a few minutes with no cooler. Looking at the BIOS I realized the CPU temperature reached 87C so I shut it down. I replaced the cooler and got windows 7 installed. Now, when I try to run a virus scan I get the BSOD citing a "uncorrectable hardware failure". I have run a memory test and that passes but I still need to run a hard drive test.

My question is if the CPU had been damaged due to high temperature, would windows still be loading and otherwise be running fine? The only time there is a problem is with the virus scan.

CPU: i5 2500k

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4

Mem: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Hard drive: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W ATX 12V v2.3, EPS 12V v2.91 CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

so the cpu ran for a few minutes with no cooler. Looking at the BIOS I realized the CPU temperature reached 87C so I shut it down.

CPU: i5 2500k

The maximum temp for that processor 72.6C so... I would be surprised if you didn't damage it.

Also, did you happen to read any of the manuals that came with the components you ordered?

Try running more applications and see if the same problem occurs. A CPU failure usually would not let you boot your system.

I noticed that I spiked my CPU to 90C for a second running a very short and intensive benchmark (wprime). I thought this generation still had a thermal cut off other than the throttling but then again it might have just been a bad reading from the Asus software. Won't be trying to run a 4.9Ghz wprime benchmark again without serious cooling anyway :D

As the knowledgeable Ritwik7 says, try some other software. It might just have been errors caused to the antivirus install from the CPU when it was overheating, assuming you were in Windows at that point and the AV was running.

It also did it when I tried installing Starcraft 2 and during an update installation. It eventually let me install some of the windows updates but there is one I cant get installed (not sure if its a related problem, it doesn't blue screen it just fails to update).

I As the knowledgeable Ritwik7 says, try some other software. It might just have been errors caused to the antivirus install from the CPU when it was overheating, assuming you were in Windows at that point and the AV was running.

The overheating was done pre-windows install. I was just happy the thing booted up at that point hahaha. So I took a look around the BIOS just to begin to familiarize myself when I decided to check the temp. The pc had been on for a total of 5 minutes its hard to say how long it was at that temp. Once I installed the new cooler and made sure the temp stayed under 30C, that's when I installed windows. Everything was going fine until that first virus scan.

I think I might try reformating and re-installing everything to see if that helps any.

Try running another virus scan and/or system intensive programs like some benchmarks (3Dmark, Prime 95 to name a few.) To see if your system is unstable.

... I think I might try reformating and re-installing everything to see if that helps any.
Certainly worth taking a shot at re-installing to see if it helps, can't necessarily assume that the processor is cooked.
Won't be trying to run a 4.9Ghz wprime benchmark again without serious cooling anyway :D
That 2600K is just amazing, you might be able to do 5 Ghz with more serious cooling :p

Certainly worth taking a shot at re-installing to see if it helps, can't necessarily assume that the processor is cooked.

That 2600K is just amazing, you might be able to do 5 Ghz with more serious cooling :p

Meh, Corsair H50 and two 83 CFM fans and its still getting a bit hot with 8 threads maxed out at 4.7Ghz. Don't think I'll get much more without investing silly amounts into cooling. Might replace the default 200mm corsair fans in the case with something more powerful though.

Meh, Corsair H50 and two 83 CFM fans and its still getting a bit hot with 8 threads maxed out at 4.7Ghz. Don't think I'll get much more without investing silly amounts into cooling. Might replace the default 200mm corsair fans in the case with something more powerful though.

Just kidding of course, I'd be doing cartwheels with the results you've achieved on your new build.

I've attached some of my minidumps , if someone would take a look I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    122.5 KB · Views: 1
the cpu should and probably did do thermal throttling and would have shut down when critical.
this is still true for the sandy bridge cpu's.

if it only happens with the virus scan then thats pretty much isolating your problem.
did you install all the drivers yet? chipset etc

as suggested, i also recommend a fresh install and try another virus scanner.
also, make sure you have all necessary updates installed

I've attached some of my minidumps , if someone would take a look I would really appreciate it. Thanks

ADDITIONAL_DEBUG_TEXT:
Use '!findthebuild' command to search for the target build information.
If the build information is available, run '!findthebuild -s ; .reload' to set symbol path and load symbols.

FAULTING_MODULE: fffff80002e5f000 nt

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x124_GenuineIntel

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

CURRENT_IRQL: 0

STACK_TEXT:
fffff880`02fdda58 fffff800`02e28903 : 00000000`00000124 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`0d98f028 00000000`bf800000 : nt+0x70740
fffff880`02fdda60 00000000`00000124 : 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`0d98f028 00000000`bf800000 00000000`00200001 : hal+0x12903
fffff880`02fdda68 00000000`00000000 : fffffa80`0d98f028 00000000`bf800000 00000000`00200001 fffffa80`0d717a40 : 0x124

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: hardware

IMAGE_NAME: hardware

BUCKET_ID: WRONG_SYMBOLS

Followup: MachineOwner

I don't have my debug thing set with the right symbols, oh well, but here's the bit you need.

Well it looks like I got it working so far. I made it through a virus scan yesterday with no problems.

When I got home from work, I decided to reseat the video card just in case that might be a problem and I also went into my BIOS to take a look at my memory settings. The timing and voltage were to spec but one of the other settings was set to "performance". I changed that to "standard" then loaded up windows. I then downloaded PCMark and 3dmark and ran both. I did have one hiccup with the 3dmark but ran it a second time and it went through with no problems. Everything seemed to be going ok so I ran another virus scan and it ran through with no problems. I also finished installing starcraft and played a game.

So far so good, I'm going to mess with that "performance" vs "standard" setting tonight to see if that was the cause. Eventually I would like to set it to "performance" if I am going to see some gains from it.

My only problem now is getting that last windows update to install.

Back