HP will face class-action for bricking all-in-one printers when ink is low

Daniel Sims

Staff
A hot potato: HP has recurrently faced controversy for forcing users into purchasing notoriously expensive printer ink. This most recent dispute centers on claims that the company is shutting down multifunction printers when the ink is low, even if users aren't trying to print anything.

A federal judge has ruled that HP will have to face a class-action lawsuit accusing them of intentionally disabling scanning and faxing features on its all-in-one printers when the ink runs low. If substantiated, this would be just another tactic the company has used to push costly ink cartridges onto its customers.

Companies like HP and Canon market inkjet printers using the razor-and-blade model. They offer the printers at relatively low prices while making significant profits from the sales of expensive ink cartridges. Consumer Reports suggests that these cartridges can cost users as much as $70 annually. Those attempting to economize by purchasing more affordable third-party cartridges or by refilling their used ones often encounter various restrictive measures, and these practices have landed HP in trouble with regulators worldwide.

Past settlements have compelled HP to provide compensation to customers in Australia, Portugal, Italy, Belgium, and Spain. This followed regulatory rulings against the company's Digital Rights Management (DRM) system, which bars users from installing third-party or refilled cartridges. Despite this, HP continues to market printers with this DRM, even after having briefly removed it in the past.

Furthermore, the International Imaging Technology Council (IITC) later accused HP of coercing customers into ink cartridge subscription payments under the guise of an eco-friendly label. The subscription automatically triggers recurring payments once the trial period ends, HP issues firmware updates to enforce the DRM without customers' knowledge, and it disables the cartridges when disconnected from the internet. The IITC is campaigning for the removal of the eco-friendly certification from HP's printers because such a certification explicitly demands support for third-party and refurbished cartridges.

The current lawsuit asserts that HP's multifunction printers, some of which come with scanning and faxing functionality, become inoperative without ink. This happens even if users solely need to scan or fax a document. Moreover, the lawsuit claims that HP does not disclose this information to consumers. HP has yet to address these allegations and was unsuccessful in persuading a judge to discard the lawsuit.

Lastly, the pricing of HP's all-in-one printers and scanners might raise eyebrows, hinting at another strategy to escalate ink sales. While HP's standalone scanners cost hundreds to thousands of dollars, several of its all-in-one models are available for less than $100.

Permalink to story.

HP has gone downhill so badly I quit using them over 10 years ago when they started playing games with their plotter ink. Frankly, I'll never go back no matter what they promise .... they are just that bad and unreliable ...

Had this happen (for the first and only time in 2-3 years) with our HP (Envy photo 6220) just last week. Worse it was for a scan we needed re a crucial healthcare issue on a tight timeline. At the time we finally, after wasting half an evening, figured out it was due to this issue (not that our ink levels were, showing at some 20%, low as such) and were not happy, especially needing to effectively pay for the means to print to unlock basic non printing functions as the only fix. But we had no idea it was this bad.

Suffice to say, the printer in question and brand are now dated so far as our use and cash goes... even though the printer is otherwise most adequate to our needs. The question is whether it's replaced before or after we move house... not if but when and with what. HP can 'do one' and have just become another 'never again' brand on a steadily growing list of late.

The latest fun from them is their "e" line of printers. You have to activate these printers to use them. You are forced to create an HP account to activate the printer to make use of it in any capacity, and they try to rope you into signing up for their ink services, which if you decide to opt out of later, can potentially lead to your printer being bricked again because it claims you need new ink even if you've installed more.

I steer everyone away from HP printers due to the greedy and shady practices they participate in to push their ink (which is the cornerstone of their profits).

I've been in the printer, copier, fax, computer, IT stuff for 43 years. It's all a scam.
Before color printers, copiers etc came along, ink/toner wasn't "that" expensive. When color came along, boy did they jack up the price. Black toner or ink is one price, but C,M,Y is 2-3 times or more expensive.
Same with the carrier (developer) in the copiers. The carrier, mixes with toner, to transfer the toner to the drum, then to the paper. When you are 120 miles from the office, at 4pm on a Friday before a holiday, you'll do anything to get the machine up and running. Many times, we've taken the "wrong" color developer, then used it, ran enough color of that one color, to get the wrong color toner out of the carrier and then let it supply the correct color. Now, if it wasn't the same toner (except for the pigment) it would not work.
So then why do they charge 3-4 times or more for the color, versus the black. BECAUSE THEY CAN and consumers just assume it must be different.

In quickly browsing through the settlement class form, am I correct in interpreting the suit as only being open to formal HPQ shareholders?

Brings back memories when I was a LEXMARK sales rep years back when I was fresh out of high school. I made about 3 HP sales reps quit and 5 Epson sales reps quit while working a few BESTBUY stores in CT. I made one snap and wanted to fight me in the parking lot.

The latest fun from them is their "e" line of printers. You have to activate these printers to use them. You are forced to create an HP account to activate the printer to make use of it in any capacity, and they try to rope you into signing up for their ink services, which if you decide to opt out of later, can potentially lead to your printer being bricked again because it claims you need new ink even if you've installed more.

I steer everyone away from HP printers due to the greedy and shady practices they participate in to push their ink (which is the cornerstone of their profits).
I had the same issue with setting up a new HP "e" type printer for my mother. Every time you try to print you have to sign in with your HP credentials. If I had known what a hassle it would be I never would have recommended it.

HP has gone downhill so badly I quit using them over 10 years ago when they started playing games with their plotter ink. Frankly, I'll never go back no matter what they promise .... they are just that bad and unreliable ...
What are you using now? And how is your experience with that?

A couple of weeks ago I had an Update from HP for my DeskJet Ink Advantage 2135. Having received "Extraction Failed X File is corrupt" notice I have tried every day to contact HP Customer Service online. Talk about the most difficult and DELIBERATELY planned as such contact pages I have ever met. Yesterday I was offered by a 'real-time' technician the opportunity to explain my Update problem provided I paid a refundable 5USD.

This was the last straw - it was their Update and their responsibility to help ME!!

I am in Bali, Indonesia and HP after sales is non-existent when their only engineer takes up to 13 days off for religious ceremonies.

From new I had to insert a 15mm thick wad of A4 paper to get the paper feeder to work but then only by feeding pages one by one.

No customer loyalty - this was my second printer in over 10 years. I have only just seen that my machine was MADE IN CHINA - that has convinced me to look for another make and why I have joined this Forum today. I would be grateful for the name of a manufacturer with a great reputation please.

It's a bit of people's problem if you keep continue to use 40$ printers. Those things usually die within a year, or at least right outside it's warranty program. All that stuff is from plastic, adding to the E-waste and those things coud'nt even print 50+ docs without running out of inkt.

Buy a good industrial printer, those will last quite longer, and the ink tanks are good for hundreds if not thousands of prints. Canon for example. HP is a terrible company.

No surprise there. I've been using inkjet for ages. my very first inket printer was Canon Bubblejet BJ200 which was introduced in 1993. it's no secret that inkjet cartridges cost a lot of money, back then we had to resort to refill ink using syringes to save money.

30 years later and I wonder why people still buy printer with cartridges. DRm cartridges has been around for ages. some users were unable to print bw documents with low color ink and now people cant scan with low ink. these manufacturers will do anything to line up their pockets so if people want to stop these manufacturers it's easy: JUST STOP BUYING THEM.

I feel like lawsuits aren't gonna help much. if the authorities really wanted to step up, they can always follow the energy efficiency label used in electrical appliances. in some region, if you were to buy a fridge, the fridge will have a label indicating how much money will be spent running that annually, or another label indicating how energy efficient it is from A to F. all these cartridges printer should came with big warning label indicating how expensive it is to keep them running.

I have an HP printer and I can't print if I don't have a subscription. I print alot of school notes and important documents. They literally print out a paper saying I can't print until I pay the subscription even if I have more then enough ink.

Further to my earlier grumbles. During the two weeks that I was trying to get help from HP - I do remember a page coming up asking for my credit card details in order to sign in. That really annoyed me - HP need to realise the meaning of Customer Service if they wish to continue in business. @ jengreen87 being asked to pay to contiune after having purchased a printer and having sufficient ink is disgraceful business practice. The first reply saying the whole subject IS A SCAM does spring to mind.
I WISH THE CLASS ACTION EVERY SUCCESS.

Further to my earlier grumbles. During the two weeks that I was trying to get help from HP - I do remember a page coming up asking for my credit card details in order to sign in. That really annoyed me - HP need to realise the meaning of Customer Service if they wish to continue in business. @ jengreen87 being asked to pay to contiune after having purchased a printer and having sufficient ink is disgraceful business practice. The first reply saying the whole subject IS A SCAM does spring to mind.
I hope they gather all of our transactions we've done and they refund us all. We are triple paying to use things we purchase on our own. Paper, printer and ink. Even if we buy our own ink they won't print. Mine got locked because it didn't go with a code they put on the cartridges

Thus speaks the voice of emotion If this suit suceeds, it'l net the attorneys millions, and you a check for 39 cents. If you trouble to fill out a three-page form to apply for it.

It's important to note that consumers -already- have a choice here. Printers exist which don't attempt to lock you into proprietary ink schemes. The catch? They're generally substantially more expensive. Just like the razor companies that give you a (nearly) free handle to sell you razors, HP discounts its hardware in order to boost supply sales. Save a little now-- pay more later.

I find it ironic that the same people who won't quail at paying 10% interest on an automobile, or 24% on a credit-card purchase balk at this. If you don't like the terms, don't do the deal. Buy a printer that doesn't use proprietary cartridges.

How do I join the Class Action? Constant issues with low or old ink bricking my last ever HP printer....

How do I join the Class Action? Constant issues with low or old ink bricking my last ever HP printer....

That took me all of 10 minutes.

HaHaHaHaHa...(etc!)

Anyone paying attention knew these were dodgy. Lawsuits should be thrown out on the grounds of "gross stupidity of the plaintiff"

A fool and his money soon go separate ways. Enjoy your digital certificate!

HaHaHaHaHa...(etc!)

Anyone paying attention knew these were dodgy. Lawsuits should be thrown out on the grounds of "gross stupidity of the plaintiff"
Jeez, that's awfully cold..

People shop on brand recognition as much as anything else, and not everyone belongs to a tech forum, for various reasons.

I think those who bought their printer before HP started introducing these, "mandatory" firmware updates, have every right to seek compensation.

M$ made updates "mandatory|, with the advent of Windows 10. It's logical to assume that people whose 1st computer had W 10 installed, believed that any "mandatory update", offered by HP, were, "for their own good", and accepted them in good faith. After all, M$ likes to predicate their updates on, "security, security, security", bullsh!t. Why shouldn't "the average Joe, (or Jane)", automatically believe the same of HP?

Back