HTC opens pre-orders for $799 headset-only Vive Pro

Shawn Knight

Staff member

HTC at CES in January announced an upgraded version of its Vive virtual reality headset. The new Vive Pro features an array of improvements including higher-resolution OLED displays and integrated headphones and soon, you’ll be able to get your mitts on it.

HTC on Monday opened pre-orders for the Vive Pro through its website and select retailers. The headset will set you back $799 – and that’s just for the head-mounted display which is meant to be used with existing Vive tracking beacons and controllers. A full Vive Pro kit with everything you need to get up and running will be announced at a later date.

The new Vive headset ships April 5. Those who purchase before June 3 will receive a free six-month trial to Viveport Subscription, HTC’s content platform. Buyers who purchase after the first 60 days of orders will get a two-month trial membership, we’re told.

Two other bits of information worth noting. First, beginning March 22, HTC will increase the price of its Viveport subscription to $8.99 per month although current subscribers that sign up before the increase goes into effect can lock in at the current $6.99 per month rate through at least the end of the year.

Also, HTC has taken $100 off the cost of the current-generation full Vive kit, bringing it down to $499.

Permalink to story.

I'm betting it is doing to be around $1,400 for the complete package when it comes out. That is crazy. I know you have to recover some R&D costs but damn. It probably isn't any more than $400 or so in actual tech and materials.

Wow, this is much more pricey that I'd thought it would be. I was thinking $600 at most for just the headset. $800 and they are going to want you to cough up more for the upcoming controllers and wireless kit? What are those going to cost? $200 and $350 respectively?

I'd rather just buy one of the upcoming 8K VR headsets coming out.

Even at $500 I'd still get more value out of something else for my gaming setup. (not VR)
Like what, for example?

I don't think the Vive is a good deal, but the Oculus at $400 is a pretty decent deal I think. You are essentially getting a monitor, headphones, and game controllers for that price. Try buying a gaming monitor, decent headphones, and decent controllers (keyboard/mouse and a joystick) for less than $400. The Oculus VR is actually not bad at all, and not only do you get the "tech" but you are getting the experience of VR. And experiences are worth money too.

So I feel much the opposite of you, VR is a great value (at Oculus' $400). Now the Vive even at $500 is not a good deal, but it is ok. The previous $600 price point, definitely not a good deal. It certainly wasn't worth $200 more than the Oculus for essentially the same thing.

Wow, this is much more pricey that I'd thought it would be. I was thinking $600 at most for just the headset. $800 and they are going to want you to cough up more for the upcoming controllers and wireless kit? What are those going to cost? $200 and $350 respectively?

I'd rather just buy one of the upcoming 8K VR headsets coming out.
What 8K VR headset? If you are referring the the Pimax it is most certainly not 8K. It is processing 8K worth of pixels, but as far as the your eyes are concerned, it is 4K.

4K per eye, when each eye is looking at the same scene is still 4K.

Like what, for example?

I don't think the Vive is a good deal, but the Oculus at $400 is a pretty decent deal I think. You are essentially getting a monitor, headphones, and game controllers for that price. Try buying a gaming monitor, decent headphones, and decent controllers (keyboard/mouse and a joystick) for less than $400. The Oculus VR is actually not bad at all, and not only do you get the "tech" but you are getting the experience of VR. And experiences are worth money too.

So I feel much the opposite of you, VR is a great value (at Oculus' $400). Now the Vive even at $500 is not a good deal, but it is ok. The previous $600 price point, definitely not a good deal. It certainly wasn't worth $200 more than the Oculus for essentially the same thing.

For me, a high refresh display. I'm coming off as if I dislike VR and that's not the case. I'm ready to dedicate a room in my house for VR. It still just feels like a lot of money for how much I think I'll use it. But it's getting to the point where I go back and forth on it, and really it's just a matter of time. I agree about the Oculus and find it a bit more tempting, but purely due to cost. Not trying to diss your point because these products do pack a lot of technology into small packages, but I can definitely get you a good quality display, headphones, KB+mouse and joystick for under $400. Not everything name brand but I've had good experience with budget stuff.

Point well-made. I got my Oculus for $350 and it was worth it at that price. I appreciate a nice monitor as much as the next guy but VR is just a totally different experience and has so much potential. I do have a bias here I'll admit. I just wish VR would become mainstream.

Back