Hyper Threading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintendo

How do I Enable Hyper Threading on my computer ? (I have p4 2,53 with HT and I'm running Windows XP pro)

The 2.53 P4B does not have HT enabled. The P4C ( from 2.4 to 3.2 GHZ ) or the P4B 3.06 GHZ are the only HT capable P4s.

When I run Pcmark 2004 and go to the details on the internet it says that it is Available but it is Disabled. Is this test saying wrong or ?

That's what I said the 2.53 does not have HT enabled & as far as I know, there was & still is no way to activate it.

I have a P4 2.6GHz with HT and it works fine. What is HT anyways? I've heard everything from that it acts like a virtual processor, to it just breaks down the information in a different way to make it go through the pipelines faster? groudon39

Yeah a 2.53GHz P4 wouldn't have HT...

HyperThreading lets you multitask better by splitting evenly CPU time, and not letting any one process use more than 50%. It doesn't make anything faster, just makes multitasking easier. It's good in a server environment. I turned my HT off (I have a 2.6C) because it's not as flexible as SMP and it made every one process half as slow as it could be - like games and encoding video. Of course, I could have encoded two videos at the same time without them fighting over CPU time, which I've done and is cool.

Originally posted by Vehementi
Yeah a 2.53GHz P4 wouldn't have HT...

HyperThreading lets you multitask better by splitting evenly CPU time, and not letting any one process use more than 50%. It doesn't make anything faster, just makes multitasking easier. It's good in a server environment. I turned my HT off (I have a 2.6C) because it's not as flexible as SMP and it made every one process half as slow as it could be - like games and encoding video. Of course, I could have encoded two videos at the same time without them fighting over CPU time, which I've done and is cool.

So should I turn my HT off if I really don't do that much multi-tasking or will I not notice any difference? Everything runs fairly fast right now. Maybe my RAM is the problem though, the system drags a little here and there, but nothing to cry about. groudon39

Yeh, turning HT off allows any one process to hog all your CPU time, which is much better for playing games and running SETI etc.

Steg

There's no such thing as a 2.66C. It's 2.66B.

HT was invented for low-cost server solutions and people wanting to multitask easier. It's incredibly cool, but I just haven't found a use for it yet.

And again, the 2.40C, 2.60C, the 2.80C, 3.06B, and the 3.0C+ are the only Pentium 4's with HyperThreading support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back