HyperX goes wireless with Cloud MIX Bluetooth gaming headset

Greg S

What just happened? HyperX has answered to gamers wanting a wireless version of its well known Cloud series of headsets. The Cloud MIX adds Bluetooth capabilities and keeps all of the positive features found within the series.

Gamers have praised the HyperX Cloud 2 headset as well as several other similar models. Today, HyperX is introducing the Cloud MIX as its first ever Bluetooth gaming headset.

Taking many of the design elements of the Cloud 2 and Cloud Alpha headsets, the Cloud MIX features 40mm drivers for accurate sound production. A frequency response of 10Hz to 40,000Hz with total harmonic distortion of less than 2 percent offers clarity for gamers.

One of the more notable features is the choice between two microphone options. The noise-canceling detachable boom mic is TeamSpeak and Discord Certified for chat, but there is also a built-in mic to offer a more mobile-friendly option. It is possible to take phone calls on the Cloud MIX using the built-in mic and allow for mobile gaming without walking around wearing a boom mic.

On the bottom of the cans, there is a volume rocker, power button, Micro USB port, and 3.5mm jacks for boom mic and optional wired audio connection just in case you run out of battery. At 20 hours of battery life, that should be good for at least a few lengthy gaming sessions.

When not using the Bluetooth 4.2 option, a 1.3m audio cable is included with with an additional 2m extension cable. The charging cable measures in at 0.5m so as not to leave extra wiring coiled up on your desk when charging.

HyperX is making the Cloud MIX available now exclusively at Best Buy in the United States. The Bluetooth headset carries a suggested price of $199.99.

Permalink to story.

Wow, looks like a pretty good option. I currently use a Cloud Alpha for use with my phone when commuting and laptop at home/work. I like the idea of having the 3.5 mm and Bluetooth options in a single product.

Wow, looks like a pretty good option. I currently use a Cloud Alpha for use with my phone when commuting and laptop at home/work. I like the idea of having the 3.5 mm and Bluetooth options in a single product.
You can do that with literaly any wired heaphones on the market.
You just need Fiio BTR3 or any other cheaper alternative.
Kingston ... Qpad or Takstar who ever actualy made these headsets, those are really sad excuses for headphones.
Accessories is nice to have, but sound quality is piss poor.

Kingston ... Qpad or Takstar who ever actualy made these headsets, those are really sad excuses for headphones.

I appreciate your comment but I don't see the point in the recommended alternative. Why would I still connect the cable to a [admittedly good] wireless DAC when using the phone? What I want is to connect the headset, through Bluetooth, to my phone; then connect to my personal/work laptop through the cable. I don't want the cable hassle when I'm on the move; I prefer a wired connection when I'm sitting on a desk.

Now, let me tell you about piss poor quality: the only on-ear headset option at work, that costs $120 and is charged to my group's budget, is really really bad when it comes to sound quality and is extremely uncomfortable. I could barely stand if for more than an hour, during online meetings. I can wear the Cloud Alpha all day without discomfort, sound is decent [not as good as a Sennheiser I once tried, of around the same price, but without a microphone], and I've been told by friends and co-workers that the HyperX Cloud mic is pretty good [relative to everyone else they talk to].

My current personal use cases for the Cloud Alpha: Netflix on the go or home, YouTube anywhere, Discord at home, Skype at work, sometimes music while working. I was looking for wireless headphones, preferably that supported AptX/AptX HD, like your recommended DAC, but I didn't want to use them with Windows; so I didn't pull the trigger on any of the options. This solution is what I was looking for, versatility-wise.

Too expensive. Arctis 3 Bluetooth is half the price often. And I know it’s not hyperx but it definitely isn’t half as good.

I appreciate your comment but I don't see the point in the recommended alternative. Why would I still connect the cable to a [admittedly good] wireless DAC when using the phone? What I want is to connect the headset, through Bluetooth, to my phone; then connect to my personal/work laptop through the cable. I don't want the cable hassle when I'm on the move; I prefer a wired connection when I'm sitting on a desk.

Now, let me tell you about piss poor quality: the only on-ear headset option at work, that costs $120 and is charged to my group's budget, is really really bad when it comes to sound quality and is extremely uncomfortable. I could barely stand if for more than an hour, during online meetings. I can wear the Cloud Alpha all day without discomfort, sound is decent [not as good as a Sennheiser I once tried, of around the same price, but without a microphone], and I've been told by friends and co-workers that the HyperX Cloud mic is pretty good [relative to everyone else they talk to].

My current personal use cases for the Cloud Alpha: Netflix on the go or home, YouTube anywhere, Discord at home, Skype at work, sometimes music while working. I was looking for wireless headphones, preferably that supported AptX/AptX HD, like your recommended DAC, but I didn't want to use them with Windows; so I didn't pull the trigger on any of the options. This solution is what I was looking for, versatility-wise.

I'm in total agreement.

First, even a single accessory is a pain when the point of bluetooth is ease of use.

Second, I go back and forth between a HyperX II headset for work and a high end condenser mic + studio headphones (AudioTechnica) for when I want something more professional. For calls or skype meetings: The hyperX is just much easier to use (either 3.5mm for my phone or USB dongle for computers). For streaming or recording, the mic & headphones are pro quality.

No doubt, the HyperX is compressed and has a very minor hiss -- but it's nothing you're going to care about on a phone call or video conference. The HyperX are also one of the most comfortable headphones I've used (without 3rd party ear muffs).

If the price can become reasonable, say, around the $100 mark when on sale, then this would be a great buy.

I'm in total agreement.

First, even a single accessory is a pain when the point of bluetooth is ease of use.

Second, I go back and forth between a HyperX II headset for work and a high end condenser mic + studio headphones (AudioTechnica) for when I want something more professional. For calls or skype meetings: The hyperX is just much easier to use (either 3.5mm for my phone or USB dongle for computers). For streaming or recording, the mic & headphones are pro quality.

No doubt, the HyperX is compressed and has a very minor hiss -- but it's nothing you're going to care about on a phone call or video conference. The HyperX are also one of the most comfortable headphones I've used (without 3rd party ear muffs).

If the price can become reasonable, say, around the $100 mark when on sale, then this would be a great buy.
"Comfortable" It's just Beyerdynamic DT 770 type of construction (exists more than 25 years ... maybe it's 30 now, not sure).
If I am not mistaken, they even licenced this style of construction from Beyerdynamic.

BTW: Just for a not really decent, yet still better than Cloud, alternative, what about Superlux HMC681EVO, anyone tried it?

Back