I am denied access to my "c" drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I am new to this site and don't know a great deal about computers. I am searching for help with a problem. I have two computers networked in my home through a linksys wireless router and a cable modem. I was on the internet on my main computer and was shut down for some reason. I was able to reboot but started receiving error messages about a disk problem. I tried to run my Norton disk doctor but discovered that I suddenly do not have access to my C drive. The Norton message advised that I check my computers secuity settings. I was ony able to do that in safe boot because that is the only way I can access or change any settings on my C drive. While I am in safe boot I am shown as administrator on everything I can find but when I reboot into normal mode, I am again denied access to the C drive. I am able to access the internet and my email but cannot open any attachments. I feel (but could easily be wrong) the problem is in my network settings. Can anyone give any advise. I am operating on Windows XP Home edition. Thanks.

When networking local computers, security is of ulmost importance. I gave up on it long ago in favor of transferring files via DVD-RAM (4.7gb drag-n-drop) disks. And I still secure both computers and do regular maintenance.

Boot to safe mode, Start > Control... > User... > see if your admin is under computer admin. Delete other unknown accounts.

Open my computer, right-click C drive > properties > is it NTFS or FAT32? If it's NTFS, there's a security tab, and there's a sharing tab > in security tab, make sure you have all permissions checked for yourself.

Also, XP has a very good wizard that walks you through file sharing setup. It's in Network Connections.

I've encountered similar problems in the past. In addition to yourself listed in the security settings, in XP you also need the following groups added:

-CREATOR OWNER
-SYSTEM

that should do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back