I fried my psu are there any chances I've fried anything else

Please excuse my stupidity. I just got my new computer. I decided to move my it from one room to the other. While I was assembling it I noticed a switch on my power supply that has the number 230 on it. I pulled it down(the switch then showed 115) and a blue light came on of the inside for second and a little smoke came out ( the psu was connected to the power but the pc wasn't on). Is there a chance that it has damaged any other components? It's a 500w Thermaltake power supply.

Probably quite old PSU with no PFC. There is chance that only fans were not fried. There is also chance that only PSU fried itself and nothing else was damaged.

Impossible to say without testing.

Ouch! Smoke and blue flash - chances are very high that the PSU is fried - fuse &/or whatever went thump inside may have protected motherboard. Do not open PSU. 230v is dangerous. 115v is also dangerous but not quite so bad. Capacitors inside can also be very dangerous. Unless you spend a bunch of time learning about this, much better to just leave alone.

First step could be to get a new PSU. A 500w Thermaltake might be reasonably priced from NewEgg or Amazon. Cost about $50 in the USA.

If purchase was on a major credit card, there may be 'breakage' insurance coverage.

Hope it works out.

Back