I need advice for my first ever PC build

Hi guys

I'm planning to build my first ever gaming PC. I do not know that much about specs and all of that.

The computer is going to be used for indie games like The Escapists, Gmod, KSP, Pixel Piracy etc. heavy games like Skyrim, Tomb Raider, The Witcher etc. and also games like Lichdom: Battlemage and Hearthstone. It has to be able to play the heaviest games at a consistently high framerate (at least 40-50).
I also own a PS4 which will be used to play games that are consolebased (like ACU (horrible game BTW)) and console exclusive games (like Bloodborne).
Since this is my first ever PC build I want it to last long. I won't be doing any overclocking (it scares me :p ). Therefore I will also be able to pay about 1500 $. I don't know about this pricetag because I don't know how the US taxes and Denmark (where I'm from) has a very large tax. I will also be able to pay more than this but I seems right

Here are the components that I was planning to use. Can you give me some feedback? Are there any of these things that won't fit together, is something overkill/underkill (I won't pay for a high end GPU if I have a low end CPU. Things have to fit together).

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4690 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz
GPU: GTX 970 Gaming 4G - MSi
MotherBoard: Z97 Gaming 5 - MSi (I know nothing about motherboards...)
Memory: HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB (Again. I know nothing about RAM)
Storage: SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E250B/AM 2.5" 250GB SATA III
Storage: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM
Power: Cooler Master: G650M (Would this be enough or would it be overkill?)
CPU Cooler: Stock (Once again. I don't know if this is enough but I am not going to OC sooo... Would liquid cooling make sense or should I invest in a stronger cooling unit?)
DVD writer: ASUS DVD-Writer Black SATA Model DRW-24F1ST
Case: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Advanced (A case has to be stylish. This looks okay and there seems to be room for everything. Do I have to buy better fans or are the stock ones good enough?)

Please give me some feedback. I really need it to be confident with my PC build. If I don't get to know more about this, I will have to buy a pre-build PC from another pro. company

Hi. First, I am not sure you are aware of it but right now Newegg.com has a three combo special that includes your processor, motherboard, and memory that will save you $42.00. So you can rest assured what you listed with those items will work well.

1. The i5 is considered by many to be the sweet-spot for gaming. Good choice.
2. HyperX memory is made by Kingston and they manufacture excellent RAM and have for years.
3. That motherboard is a BEAST. Do you need everything/will you utilize everything that it offers?
4. I would just get a stronger cooling unit.
5. Check out Western Digital's Black series for hard drives in the 7200 rpm models.
6. Couldn't say about the psu; I usually use the Corsair line. Whatever you choose seriously consider either the Gold or Plantinum Plus certification. 650 watts of power would probably do you but research how much power that video card demands and what the manufacture recommends.

As for the case, the last four systems I have built have all been encased in the Cooler Master HAF series. I absolutely love them for air flow and build quality but make sure that you purchase a an additional side fan and top fan for greater air flow. Here is a good rule to keep in mind: Between the inflow of air or its exhaust, exhaust is the more important. I would get a 120mm size fan for the side and blow in and a 140mm side for the top as exhaust.

I want to suggest that you seriously consider getting the bigger brother of the 912. I found that the 912 is excellent for the micro-ITX boards but for me personally it seems a little cramped for the standard ATX boards -- though I have done it without issue. Look at the HAF 922 which is a mid-tower but with tons of room; I have one for my main rig. There is the full tower 932 but that is probably overkill.

Hope this helps.

I didn't know about that offer but I will definitely check it out. It seems like a good offer.

When it comes to the motherboard, I had it recommended by a friend who said that is was a great motherboard with many features. I just don't know very much about these features. What does it do that makes it a beast. I mean it looks awesome and I know that it is good. But I don't think that I will use its potentential since I don't know much about it
Is there any specific CPU cooler that you have in mind?
Are Wester Digital better than when it comes to performance and read/write speed?
Then I think, I'm going to check up on Corsair's PSU and the GPU needs a power supply that can deliver atleast 500W
The HAF 922 does also look great when it comes to airflow so I think I'll take your advise

Thank you. This has helped me very much
Is this a build that I would be able to make as a noob?

First, get a friend or two that know how to build a PC system and let them coach you through the process. When I say coach I mean let them show you how to do the steps BUT you do the work. This way you''ll learn by actually doing and if you run into a problem they can then help. Its how I learned.

If you are not going to utilize all the features on the motherboard its potential will be dormant. However, I see its only $150 so its a decent price. There are other boards that are probably just as well built but cost less $ due to less features but as you say you probably wouldn't use them anyway. If you stick with that MSI board you can't go wrong though; just do a little more research.

Here is a good cooler that is so very popular: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...03065&cm_re=cpu_cooler-_-35-103-065-_-Product

I have used Seagate often but WD Black edition hard drives have a better reputation.

Now as for your power supply the following is from jobeard who posts quite regularly and has helped me many times over the past few years. He gives us a great yet simple way to calculate one's need:

Read the label or spec for each device, adding the WATTS and then...
Over engineer the PS:

• Calculate the actual needed power,
  • add a fudge factor and
  • multiply by 1.5.
Then round up to the next commonly available size.

I totally agree with him. I always go a little higher than what the WATT total is. Multiplying by 1.5 is sound advice.

Yes I am sure it will. What you can do on Newegg and is ask this question of people who have purchased this motherboard at the motherboard page. Also, let them know what graphics card you will be installing.

Okay
Thank you very much. You've been a big help. And I tthink that I will begin my build in a not so distant future :-D

Back