I need help with my wireless net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here is a description of I need to do!!!!

I have in my house 2 pcs with nick cards connected to a router linksys, and I have a DSL connected to my router distributing internet to the two pcs!!!

Ok my friend (neighbor) has exactly the same net in there house but he don’t have DSL only two pcs and the router…

Ok here is went I need help: I need do connect the routers but in a wireless method my friend life like 25 mts from my house and I want to now how to do this connection and how I need to buy to make it!!!

Well thanks for your help and sorry for my English, I am not realy good in English hehe

adolfo_cr said:
Ok here is went I need help: I need do connect the routers but in a wireless method my friend life like 25 mts from my house and I want to now how to do this connection and how I need to buy to make it!!!
I hope 25 mts stands for 'meters' and not minutes. ;)

Using a cable is going to be the best solution. You can do wireless, but it could be expensive.

Is your router wireless? If it is, your neighbor can add a wireless bridge to his router. His router will need to have DHCP turned off and this setup may require an additional directional antenna because signal strength will probably be very poor.

Rick said:
I hope 25 mts stands for 'meters' and not minutes. ;)

Using a cable is going to be the best solution. You can do wireless, but it could be expensive.

Is your router wireless? If it is, your neighbor can add a wireless bridge to his router. His router will need to have DHCP turned off and this setup may require an additional directional antenna because signal strength will probably be very poor.

well
1) yes stands for meters !!! ;)
2) i can use cable because the street is in the middle of the houses!!!!
3) yes my router wireless!!! and I would like to now how do a bridge between the routers!!! (how to do the configuration!!!)

4) Thanks for all!!!!!

Rick said:
25 meters is 82 feet and std precut cat-5
cables are 50, 100 feet. I paid ~ $0.75/ft USD.

Also to be considered, is the necessity to bury the cable inside an enclosure
to protect it from the weather --- more $$$. Cable would be the best performance and reliability, but it's a push as to which solution
would be the least expensive.

jobeard said:
25 meters is 82 feet and std precut cat-5
cables are 50, 100 feet. I paid ~ $0.75/ft USD.

Also to be considered, is the necessity to bury the cable inside an enclosure
to protect it from the weather --- more $$$. Cable would be the best performance and reliability, but it's a push as to which solution
would be the least expensive.

That's true. You're going to pay more for outdoor line than indoor line (which runs quite a bit cheaper, but really isn't up to the job).

I'm still thinking of the potential cost of having to set up two directional antennas for a stable signal and then invest in a wireless bridge... That's easily a few hundred dollars. But, that could be lowered by investing in some make-shift cantennas and a cheap wireless access point with bridging capabilities.

But either way its going to cost $$$. You might want to talk the other guy into investing in $15/mo DSL from SBC/ATT or Verizon. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back