I use AVG 8.5, should I remove it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have been using AVG Anti-virus since 2006, and this was because it helped me clear my PC of viruses which even Norton could not detect back then. Ever since, I have been loyal to AVG and have been using it.

Recently, I bought a new laptop (a gem of a laptop, that is!) and it had Norton Internet Security pre-installed with a 60-day trial period. Now there were no problems with viruses until the it existed. Once the trial period expired, I completely removed Norton Internet Security, and downloaded and installed another 30-day trial with another e-mail ID. And after doing that, my laptop became terribly slow! (Yes, for a laptop having 4 GB DDR2 RAM, and a 2.53 GHZ Core 2 Duo!!!)

So, I removed Norton Internet Security 2010, and installed my good ol', trusted AVG. And now, as I type this, I'm running a complete system scan, and it detected Trojans in the setup files of AVG and Norton anti-virus, which I had downloaded from RapidShare!

To check their implication, I logged on to and joined TechSpot Forums, and read that AVG gives out a False Positive. Now even with that happening, I don't mind being extra-cautious 'cause it hasn't removed any trust-worthy files or applications.

So, why is that you suggest that I do not keep AVG on my system?

I'm running a complete system scan, and it detected Trojans in the setup files of AVG and Norton anti-virus, which I had downloaded from RapidShare!
?
:confused:

Well anyway, for others in similar situations (although doubtful)

Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
AVG Removal Tool: http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/support/avgremover_en.exe

Restart

Install Free Avira Antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/

Oh and never download from Rapidshare without having a good updated Antivirus software, downloaded freely from the manufacture support page

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Well, what I meant was that the trojan was added in the setup file.

But, I still don't understand why is that you do not recommend AVG? :S

I mean, thanks to AVG, my PC since 3 years, and now my laptop have been running smooth and safe.

So, why...?

I meant uninstall the "Rapidshare" AVG program

Its only In My Opinion, that I like Avira better
But just the other day, someone uninstalled their free AVG (true I was supporting at the time ;))
Installed Avira (updated it) and found more Trojans that AVG missed

Anyway, AVG is up to Ver9 now, so maybe all is now good (huh!) But you never know
I still like my free Avira though (IMO)

But to stop the debate: Install whatever you like :D

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Well, what I meant was that the trojan was added in the setup file.

But, I still don't understand why is that you do not recommend AVG? :S

I mean, thanks to AVG, my PC since 3 years, and now my laptop have been running smooth and safe.

So, why...?
If you're liking your AVG and think it's doing a good job, then go ahead and keep.. but here's just an fyi from my own personal experience

I had switched to AVG 8.0 a year or two back and loved it. Up until i was forced to upgrade to AVG 9.0. I happened to have AVG on an Dell D600 laptop (about 6yrs old) so i definitely noticed AVG's affect on its performance. (But even if you have a faster computer - as i do now since i replaced the D600 - i figure why waste all those CPU cycles? I dropped AVG about 4-6 months ago.. so don't know if they've made any changes to it since)

@kimsland - Amen. :D

@LookinAround - I updated over and over again and am still at 8.5.423, and it's working absolutely fine! But I reckon that with your config, dropping AVG was wise.

Oh well, I thought something was principally wrong with AVG. So, the recommendation to drop it. Haha!

Happy Halloween, btw, everyone!

I'm guessing that you downloaded a pirated copy of AVG from Rapidshare. That's why the Trojan was in the setup file! Trojans and Worms love file sharing and pirated programs.

Earlier today, I found this on someone's log. A 'friend' had downloaded some 'stuff' onto their computer. It included a pirated Adobe Photo Shop and AVG Internet Security.

I suggest you stay away from Rapidshare when you download security programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back