IDC: Apple, Lenovo the only ones to increase notebook sales

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Continuing its push to dethrone HP in the notebook segment, Acer has shipped 8.1 million laptops worldwide in the second quarter, just behind HP's 8.51 million units, according to IDC. Both companies witnessed a sequential drop in sales in the recent period, with Acer shipping 5.8% less machines and HP's sales falling 10.9%. That performance isn't too different for other top notebook players, with only Apple and Lenovo seeing a sequential increase in shipments.

Rank Company Shipments Change
1 HP 8,509 -10.9%
2 Acer 8,103 -5.8%
3 Dell 5,516 -3.3%
4 Lenovo 4,844 18.6%
5 Toshiba 4,483 -3.1%
6 Asus 3,930 -3.8%
7 Apple 2,445 37.6%
8 Samsung 2,913 -1%
9 Sony 1,710 -11.2%
10 Fujitsu 676 -32.1%

Dell fell into its usual third-place position, moving 5.52 million laptops, a 3.3% decrease on-quarter. Lenovo ranked fourth with 4.84 million units and an 18.6% increase, Toshiba sold 4.48 million systems and Asus followed with 3.93 million. Apple's shipments exploded by 37.6%, with about 2.45 million mobile computers sold, while Samsung, Sony and Fujitsu filled out the bottom of the top ten list.

Permalink to story.

got some stuff from Lenovo - good solid work, only business models

have an experience with Apple (really old stuff - MacOS9+)
reading around, ill never buy any from apple

i need to work, i don't need lifestyle

HP prices are way to high! ACER prices haven't change much. Lower the prices then watch the numbers change. Keep them high then watch your profits go down.

I'm a little confused by this, according to wikipedia the world population is only an expected 7,000,000,000 people by 2011.

If I total the sales of this top 10 companies, that means 43,129,000,000 laptops total was sold in only a quarter?!
How come everyone on earth doesn't have 5 laptops, and second hand laptops are almost impossible to find?

Gah my bad, the ,'s didnt copy paste well.

So total sales was 718,453,000.

Makes more sense, still a assload of laptops, someone should send me their old ones.

easy boy, let me introduce you:
its called STATISTIC

with that: they dont give you the real data, Only just what they need to inform you

so, they dont tell you about the firms that buy the product (who buy nvidia/ati chips?)
so, they dont tell you about the who buy (svga cards)
so, they dont tell you about the fail units
DELL has a good support
HP has a nightmer support (x64 any1?)
INTEL dont have a support
Nvidia has a nice web site with no-support
ATI dont have any

oh, you look for more?
try google - its a plenty of this

so, imo, statistic is ovver

When I buy computer product, I will consider:

1) Product design: Is it solid and durable?
2) Usage: Compatible? Standard or people around got the same one?
3) Support: Send to repair easy or troublesome

Answer:

1) I still have PowerMac G4 as a server, Apple still got iTunes update for it, though I didn't use this function anymore, all other PC already dead or no support from Microsoft, Linux and DOS still works though

2) When I buy iPod and iPhone, when I was in anywhere forgot my transformer, always can borrow an USB power cable around, that makes me happy. My iMac mini now got a DVI conversion cable, that's good enough since I don't have to pay extra to buy it

3) Send to Apple in my city (Hong Kong) still convenient, recently on-site service available

That's why Apple sales goes up, it is not a perfect company but better than Dell, it send everything to China and the support is so bad that they refuse send engineer to check a brand new LTO-3 autoloading Powervault that transfer 1MB per second.

Samsung There is no Competition with Samsung. Because Samsung Is the Best Company Ever And Its Hardware Quality and Features I Just Love this Brand.

Ali Shahzad
Kuwait
alishahzadmughal@yahoo.com

Glad to see HP sales fell.

If my two HP's are anything to go by they're bloody useless anyway! I was speaking to the technical support manager for a laptop dept. at t-mobile the other day and he actually admitted they recieve on average 20 calls a day requesting warranty repairs for the two models I own. Obviously I only have his word for it, but thats worrying!

Overall, I'm not surprised at those numbers. Acer is a solid product and IBM\Lenovo machines have been a signature choice of big business for... Like ever. Very solid machines. I had an IBM T42 thinkpad that was a freaking tank. I ended up handing it down to a friend of mine and as far as I know, it's still going strong. That hardware was built to last.

In general, I'm happy with my HP laptop, but I agree they are grossly overpriced and I wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't been for my company's access to the refurb lists.

Back