IE losing share, Firefox gains a bit, Chrome used by 1 in 8

Emil

Staff

With IE9, Firefox 4, and Chrome 11 all out, the second browser war is only getting fiercer. Let's take a look at the market share numbers for last month.

Between April and May, Internet Explorer dropped 0.84 percentage points, just a tad more than the previous month. Firefox, meanwhile, gained 0.08 percentage points, less than what it lost last month. Chrome gained 0.58 percentage points, making it last month's biggest winner. Safari was up 0.13 percentage points. Opera lost 0.11 percentage points.

At 54.27 percent, Internet Explorer has once again hit a new low. IE9, the latest and greatest from Microsoft, last month captured 4.19 percent of the market (up by 1.78 percent percentage points). IE8 lost 1.78 percentage points, but it's still the world's most popular browser. IE7 fell 0.31 percentage points and IE6 fell 0.49 percentage points. We're hoping that IE6 will fall below the 10 percent mark next month.

At 21.71 percent, Firefox is still below the peak it reached last year (24.72 percent). It appears that Firefox 4 is still not helping Mozilla regain overall market share. This is despite the fact that Firefox 4 last month captured a whopping 10.08 percent of the market (up by 4.65 percentage points). Firefox 3.6 lost 4.88 percentage points and Firefox 3.5 lost 0.20 percentage points.

At 12.52 percent, Chrome has hit a new high and is now being used by 1 in 8 of all Internet citizens. The browser's built-in updating system is working wonders for Google. Chrome 11 managed to capture 9.73 percent (up by 9.23 percentage points). Chrome 10 meanwhile fell 8.71 percentage points and Chrome 9 fell 0.06 percentage points.

The data is courtesy of Net Applications, which looks at 160 million visitors per month. As you can see above, the situation at TechSpot is slightly different: Firefox is first, IE is second, Chrome is third, Safari is fourth, and Opera is fifth. The only browser to gain share at TechSpot between April and May was Chrome.

Permalink to story.

I love Chrome. The only thing Chrome doesn't do is take advantage of GPU assisted acceleration. Other than that, they're the winner hands down as far as speed, flexibility and plug-ins. As soon as they get that GPU acceleration engaged, they're going to leave every other browser in the dust.

I to like Chrome but have switched back to Firefox. On my computer Firefox 4 is now as fast as Chrome. The one thing I couldn't stand about Chrome is the lack of customization. My Firefox looks completely different from the stock version through themes and add-ons.

TomSEA said:
I love Chrome. The only thing Chrome doesn't do is take advantage of GPU assisted acceleration. Other than that, they're the winner hands down as far as speed, flexibility and plug-ins. As soon as they get that GPU acceleration engaged, they're going to leave every other browser in the dust.

Believe me, there are a lot of things Chrome doesn't do in comparison to Firefox or Opera. And vice-versa. Although I would argue there are more things Firefox and/or Opera do, that Chrome doesn't, but I digress...

Also, Chrome is one browser, not many. Alternatively, Chrome maybe be the fastest (that is, if a millisecond less counts as huge advantage), but I don't know what you mean by flexibility. Do you mean, how, um, flexible it is? As in, what really? And as far as plug-ins go, Chrome is still inferior in the Add-on department in comparison to Firefox.

I've said this in many comments, but these browsers are not going to get that much faster anymore. Developers are not stupid, there's only so much you can do to make web page rendering almost instant. They know this, they know stability, extensibility, security, etc. is primordial. The speed difference between these browsers has become visibly negligible.

What makes a browser better than the other is simply, well, nothing. Just preference. I know you prefer Chrome, as most of us do (although not as first), but your comment sounded as if those traits were factual. IE, Firefox, Chrome; these are the big three... we're in an era where people should not be ashamed of using IE anymore, that in and of itself says it all. They are all great (free) browser, with their pros and cons.

By flexibility I mean customization. And yes, I'm well aware of FireFox's capabilities - it's my secondary browser and use it frequently both at work and home.

All the plug-in's I use on FF, are also available on Chrome. I like Chrome's leaner look and there are plenty of themes available if I want a different look. Also FF - for whatever reason - has some serious contrast/color problems. I can never get the pages to look what they should look like. If I get the red's looking fine, then the green's look like puke. If I get the black to look black, then everything else is washed out, etc. And this isn't just me, I've seen a number of threads on folks' inability to get the display to look right using FF.

Having said that, FF is a fine browser. It's certainly heads above IE. It's just #2 in my preference.

Awww come on man. This information is cannot be taken as truthful in any way, it's impossible for this to be a fair representation of how many people are actually using a brand of browser. just my view.

TomSEA said:
By flexibility I mean customization. And yes, I'm well aware of FireFox's capabilities - it's my secondary browser and use it frequently both at work and home.

All the plug-in's I use on FF, are also available on Chrome. I like Chrome's leaner look and there are plenty of themes available if I want a different look. Also FF - for whatever reason - has some serious contrast/color problems. I can never get the pages to look what they should look like. If I get the red's looking fine, then the green's look like puke. If I get the black to look black, then everything else is washed out, etc. And this isn't just me, I've seen a number of threads on folks' inability to get the display to look right using FF.

Having said that, FF is a fine browser. It's certainly heads above IE. It's just #2 in my preference.

I doubt that's an issue with Firefox. It only means all of your computers have specific combination of software and hardware that cause that specific reaction. If that was a software-specific problem, it would have been reported to Mozilla.

Also, by plug-ins (or addons), that specifically covers the customization of a browser (hence why I asked what you meant by "flexibility"). Other than that, there's really not that much you can customize, as far as visible elements, that is. If you meant internal customization (or whichever, to be honest), then Firefox is still superior.

Your comment sounded as if, by adding GPU acceleration (which Chrome has had since version 7, although you have to enable it manually), Chrome would already have all that it takes to, as you said, leave every other browser "in the dust." That explicitly implies that Chrome already excels in every other area, when, in reality, it certainly does not. Therefore, with my earlier comment, I tried to explain to you that speed difference between these browsers is negligible, and focus to choose a browser has strayed from performance, to interface, stability, security, customization, etc.

i need to Sign up

Personally i use Opera. people can talk all they want about how good their browser is, but its just a matter of what works for you.
However i would like to give a shameless plug for Opera: USE OPERA ITS AWESOME!!!

Guest said:
i need to Sign up

Personally i use Opera. people can talk all they want about how good their browser is, but its just a matter of what works for you.
However i would like to give a shameless plug for Opera: USE OPERA ITS AWESOME!!!

I have Opera Next installed on my computer. Presto is blazing fast, but it is very buggy. The Opera team focuses too much on the browser exterior, and on somewhat useless features--such as e-mail in you browser, really?--rather than on the interior. Granted they've been busy trying to get compliant with HTML5, and improving their add-on ecosystem, but the engine still renders a lot of web pages funny. I really do like the interface though.

+1 lawfer

Personally I think FF have the best interface out of all the available browsers. IE9 comes second on this count for me. Speed wise it is really hard to differentiate them; so I don't care about this argument anyway. Lastly, Chrome = Spyware, hence not interested in it anyway, so thank you.

" If that was a software-specific problem, it would have been reported to Mozilla."

It has been reported to Mozilla. As I mentioned, I'm not the only one experiencing the contrast/color issues. You're welcome to Google it yourself.

Chrome's hardware acceleration is still in testing and is not a default setting. You have to dig deep into the options to enable it, and Google does not recommend doing that unless you really know what you're doing.

Listen, it's clear you're a huge FF fan (employee?) and whatever I say, you're going to come back with a "FF can do it better." That's fine - enjoy your FF, I'll enjoy my Chrome.

TomSEA said:
really? i've noticed that when i was my gpu driver was absent chrome was slowed down by a substantial amount.

Archean said:
+1 lawfer

Personally I think FF have the best interface out of all the available browsers. IE9 comes second on this count for me. Speed wise it is really hard to differentiate them; so I don't care about this argument anyway. Lastly, Chrome = Spyware, hence not interested in it anyway, so thank you.
i have to agree that FF has a great interface and alot of great customizations. I'm considering switching back to FF because of the tab groups and multiple tab lines(great for people like me that always have at least 10 tabs).
The only thing keeping me from switching is that i can tell there is a noticeable speed difference between chrome and FF.
As for chrome being spyware, if you would look at their privacy policy they clearly state that they don't take your personal information. I'm sure if they were lying people would have discovered this by now. I wouldn't believe that chrome is spyware unless there is some hard evidence. I wouldn't really care if google was saving these tidbits of information about me anyways. If someone asked me about my hobbies and interests i would tell them, so i don't give a **** if google analyzing my browsing data and learning these trivial things about me.

Firefox 4 is a good small step in the right direction in terms of gui design and speed, but it still has it problems. One is the memory requirement also shot up dramatically compared to ver 3.6, and Firefox still does not cold start anywhere near as fast as chrome. This isn't a big problem on powerful machines, but on older and less powerful machines it is pretty noticeable.

So on my desktop I mainly use Firefox, but on my netbook I use chrome b/c of the problems described above.

Also as far as best out overall out of the box default experience, it has to be Chrome>IE 9>Firefox 4>Opera

I think that's a very critical point. when I boot up and need to get to my email or social networks, that cold start wait really starts to weigh in,even though i have a fairly recent core 2 duo notebook.that puts me in chrome's favour,even though I had been a long time Firefox user.people say it's cos of the addons,but I use a bare minimum and have them on chrome as well,that doesn't seem to bother chrome.besides losing addons pretty much strips Firefox off its appeal that made me like it in the first place

red1776 said:
Wait!...Chrome is faster??...Damn! thats 0.0013 seconds I'll never get back!

They'll soon add up! :haha:

Having had issues with FF3/4 I moved over to Chrome. I have to say I've been very happy with the speed, and reliability of the Chrome browser, and despite having been a strong FF fan, I'd be unlikely to consider returning to the Mozilla camp any time soon.

red1776 said:
Wait!...Chrome is faster??...Damn! thats 0.0013 seconds I'll never get back!

Exactly Red.. In the span of a work day, that would probably add up to 5 or 6 seconds lost that could have been spent watering your plants on Farmville while the boss isn't looking.

The whole fuzz about Chrome is quite funny... It's actually Opera in camouflage backed up by the world's biggest search engine and all its convincing power.

At least they should let Opera survive because otherwise there will be no browser innovation to shamelessly copy.

Guest said:
The whole fuzz about Chrome is quite funny... It's actually Opera in camouflage backed up by the world's biggest search engine and all its convincing power.

At least they should let Opera survive because otherwise there will be no browser innovation to shamelessly copy.
And you honestly think your precious Opera allows anybody to get its source? You honestly think Opera has come up with every single new modern browser feature?

A "guest" describes you just right. Your information is based on assumptions and how you hope things are.

Shame, what you hope is not true.

Archean said:
Lastly, Chrome = Spyware, hence not interested in it anyway, so thank you.
Yes, because the very first beta version was by definiton spyware it must mean every other release is too! I'm surprised how much you like Windows in this case then.

Or does the "if the first one is - so will the rest be" logic only concern spyware?

I use Google products, but they have a soiled track record in protecting consumer's privacy. Why build another browser? Why fork from Mozilla? A very suspicious move indeed.

Opera first, Firefox second, IE6 third, Opera fourth, Firefox fifth, etc ...

Back