IE5 to 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

IE5 to 5.5
First let me preface this post by saying that I'm not talking about my computer and the person I'm trying to help does not want to upgrade their operating system.

I'm working on a Dell dimension about five years old that came installed with Windows 98 and Internet Explorer 5.

He's having a little problem that I think may be with Internet Explorer.

The problem is that on a couple of sites the computer temporarily freezes for about 30 seconds and then is fine. This does not happen on all sites.

One example is on Yahoo they have a search window and when he tries to search it hesitates for about 30 seconds and then goes to the search engine page.

My question is: can I downloaded Internet Explorer 5.5 service pack and install it on top of his Internet Explorer 5?

Or do I have to have Internet Explorer 5.5 before installing the 5.5 service pack?

personally, I did have issues trying to install IE6 on 98 when I had it, but they were only occasional. acctually running it was fine. the one problem is java, which isn't included in IE6. you need to download the apropriate J2RE from sun microsystems to run java applets.

Opera or mozilla is a better choice though.

Very true spike ..

Opera is much better then Internet explorer...

1) Use less resources as compare to IE.
2) Much faster.
3) Not many loose pole like IE, Even in IE 6( wanna know..)
4) Easier to use.
5) Easily customizable..

Very true spike ..

Opera is much better then Internet explorer...

1) Use less resources as compare to IE.
2) Much faster.
3) Not many loose pole like IE, Even in IE 6( wanna know..)
4) Easier to use.
5) Easily customizable..

I went for the IE6 and it installed fine and cleared up the freeze ups.

Thanks to all for your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back