iFixit's Galaxy Fold teardown has been removed at Samsung's request

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: The Galaxy Fold saga has taken another turn. Not only has Samsung delayed the release of the foldable handset to prevent another Note 7-style catastrophe, but it also seems the firm doesn’t want anyone delving too deeply into the device. Following iFixit’s teardown earlier this week that exposed some of the Fold’s flaws, Samsung requested that the publication remove the article—which it agreed to.

After several positive early impression, things started to go wrong for Samsung when tech journos’ review units began breaking. The company said it was canceling the release—meant to take place today—and recalling all the review models.

Despite all this, iFixit managed to get its hands on a Galaxy Fold and perform one of its famous teardowns on the phone. The site highlighted several design flaws, the main one being a 7mm gap in the bezel where the two sides meet that allows debris to enter under the display and damage it. The phone scored a poor repairability score of 2.

Samsung, apparently, wasn’t happy about its $2,000 phone's shortcomings being exposed and requested the teardown be removed. It made the request through the iFixit partner who provided the device, and the publication has acquiesced out of respect for this partner. iFixit emphasized that it was under no obligation, legal or otherwise, to remove the teardown.

“But out of respect for this partner, whom we consider an ally in making devices more repairable, we are choosing to withdraw our story until we can purchase a Galaxy Fold at retail,” iFixit wrote.

Samsung has tried to remove unflattering content relating to one of its devices in the past. Back in October 2016 at the height of the Note 7 saga, the company issued a DMCA claim against YouTube videos of a GTA V mod where the handset was used as a sticky bomb.

Permalink to story.

I'm surprised that they were ready to go live with a clearly flawed device..........wait for it................again...

I'm surprised that they were ready to go live with a clearly flawed device..........wait for it................again...
for the shareholders only matter to be the first, they were, that's it, their stock went up and gladly no one got hurt, except some phones which shouldn't left the internal testing at this point.

I wonder if they fix the design and re-release the phone will it be even more expensive?

Removing videos of the phone makes sense since they are pulling the product but it's probably gonna generate more negative press.

That's how free press goes down in flames. So much for the freedom of speech.

Somewhat agree. While they removed the article at their own free will, they did it in fear of their partner relationship:

"the publication has acquiesced out of respect for this partner"

for the shareholders only matter to be the first, they were, that's it, their stock went up and gladly no one got hurt, except some phones which shouldn't left the internal testing at this point.
Shareholders want money
flawed devices =/= money
flawed devices = increased development/modification/storage/... costs

Samsung should hire iFixit for tips in order to fix all the Fold's design flaws and make it more repair friendly...

If the Galaxy Fold will not be released to the public with the hardware that iFixit analyzed, then that analysis is no longer relevant for the purposes of informing the consumer. For this reason it makes tacit sense for them to remove the teardown if Samsung asks, which they did.

Of course keeping the teardown available also is informative as an example of how not to design a $2000 luxury good, but nobody wants their company to be on the receiving end of that.

This bit about Samsung being a partner, though. I very much want to know the financial details of that because the most likely reason to even mention that detail is if money has or will change hands between the 2 companies.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. You're free to yell FIRE in a crowded room but in some instances it may be against the law.

If the press is bought and sold by a company (the partner status iFixit wants to maintain) maybe it isn't really FREE PRESS and it should go down in flames.

Freedom of speech is not let me say anything and everything I want to say and I should be shielded from all consequences.

Don't make a crappy Flagship product then Samsung... and damn, have a sense or humor. The GTA mod was just poking fun. I doubt anyone with that mod would say "gosh, I guess I wont buy Samsung products anymore these things are indeed really dangerous".

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences.

No, that's exactly what it means. The fact that there are consequences in some cases doesn't change the meaning of "free speech"; it only means there are conditions under which speech isn't free.

Find some smarter morons to parrot.

Back