Impossible Foods brings its plant-based burger to Walmart

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What do you think? Plant-based meat substitutes cater to those that are averse to eating animals and are better for the environment, too. But for most, it'll ultimately come down to taste. Have you had the opportunity to try a plant-based meat product yet? How does it compare to a traditional beef burger?

Impossible Foods is taking its talents to Walmart. The California startup on Thursday said its flagship product, the Impossible Burger, is actively rolling out to nearly 2,100 Walmart Supercenter and Neighborhood Market locations across the country.

The plant-based meat substitute will be stocked alongside more traditional offerings in the fresh meat section and will be offered in 12-ounce packages, we’re told. Assuming it’s the same pack as other stores sell, you’ll get four 4-ounce burgers per package.

Impossible Foods’ CEO Dr. Patrick O. Brown said the company’s goal is to make the global food system sustainable. “To do that, Impossible Burger has to be available everywhere people shop for meat,” he added.

Impossible Foods embarked on its retail takeover last September and hasn’t looked back. The Walmart deal will only bring the company one step closer to realizing that goal. Once the rollout is complete, the Impossible Burger will be available in more than 8,000 brick-and-mortar grocery stores spread across all 50 states.

To hear Impossible Foods tell it, its plant-based burger is better than traditional beef from cows in numerous categories. According to the company, a 4-ounce Impossible Burger packs 0mg of cholesterol, 14g of total fat and 240 calories compared to a 4-ounce “80/20” patty which reportedly contains 80mg of cholesterol, 23g of total fat and 290 calories.

What’s more, Impossible Burgers use 96 percent less land, 87 percent less water and produce 89 percent fewer greenhouse gas emissions compared to conventional beef from cows.

Permalink to story.

Its a good step forward. If it taste good enough, then good job!

People do forget though, sugars, that's what matters in terms of health. People are truly scared of natural fats yet they eat ton of sugar, low quality fats etc. GJ, your brain is working at 1% capacity.

I tried them at Burger King and honestly could not tell a difference other than the price. I'd say once they are able to match regular hamburger those cows will start breathing easier .....

I tried them at Burger King and honestly could not tell a difference other than the price. I'd say once they are able to match regular hamburger those cows will start breathing easier .....

Burger King had a two whopper deal and I bought one Impossible and one regular to compare them side by side and simultaneously gain 1 pound of body fat.

I felt the Impossible burger was drier. They put more tomato on it because vegetables help with moisture control.

The Impossible Burger has a better fat profile than 80/20 beef with 14g total fat, 8g saturated fat and 0mg cholesterol, compared to 23g total fat, 9g saturated fat and 80mg cholesterol in 80/20 beef. The Impossible Burger is also a better source of thiamin (vitamin B1), folate, calcium, iron and potassium.

My problem with impossible meat is that the calories are just as high as meat.

630 calories (impossible) vs. 677 (regular) is too small a difference for me.

If it was like 300 vs. 677 we could talk.

Hopefully someday, Science can figure out a way to turn common weeds into a tasty impossible burger with NEGATIVE CALORIES where you eat the food and it takes more energy to process it than it provides the body.

Then I can lose weight eating pizza, cheesecake and lasagna.

Hopefully someday, Science can figure out a way to turn common weeds into a tasty impossible burger with NEGATIVE CALORIES where you eat the food and it takes more energy to process it than it provides the body.

Then I can lose weight eating pizza, cheesecake and lasagna.

That's a pipe dream for long in the future. There was no way anyone was going to replicate the complex taste profile of meat yet somehow make it low cal. However if you look at it like a tech device development cycle, maybe this is v1. Replicate general taste and mouth feel.

V2 can be perfecting that and lowering the price

V3 can be lowering the calories but maybe with not quite as good of a taste. Make this a different parallel product.

V4 can be the low cal, tastes just as good, but more expensive option. Now you have 3 products.

A couple of years of development between these and by the time you're done, you can retire early with a fat pension.

Probably in 20 years, real meat will be super expensive and only the top 1% can afford it. And the rest can only eat fake meat, but the bright side is that mass production of fake meat will reduce the cost. We may pay less for fake meat.

Probably in 20 years, real meat will be super expensive and only the top 1% can afford it.
Have you looked at the store shelves lately? That day is already here! The price of beef has skyrocketed as of late, and it's not all because of COVID-19.

Good quality beef is expensive, we're talking lean stuff here. OK sure, if you want the cheap stuff, you'll have lower prices. But let's face it, who wants that? I want a hamburger made with quality stuff.

Burger King vs Wendy's. You'll pay more for Wendy's but it's worth it!

Probably in 20 years, real meat will be super expensive and only the top 1% can afford it. And the rest can only eat fake meat, but the bright side is that mass production of fake meat will reduce the cost. We may pay less for fake meat.

As long as we can practice even basic animal husbandry, meat will always be plentiful.

Pigs and Chickens can be fed "waste food" and grow fast.

Pork is cheap. Chicken is cheap. Beef is cheap (for ground beef).

My next door neighbor in my Long Island house has a damn chicken coop.

The real problem is government policies.

We are throwing away food that government overpays farmers to produce/throw away.

When I can buy 400 calories for 25 cents in a corner store, there is no good reason ANYONE should be starving.

Until we get GOVERNMENT out of agriculture, we will always have shortage.

Let the free market work.

I don't have too many complaints about a lot of calories in a main meal, after all we do have to get our daily calories somewhere. That said, 630 calories is a LOT of calories in one lump.

That said, 630 calories is a LOT of calories in one lump.
Not if you make it as part of one large meal for the day like I do. I generally don't have time in my day to eat any more than one meal a day, so I generally make that one meal really count. So yeah, I'll probably consume as much as 1500 to 1800 calories in one sitting.

I don't have too many complaints about a lot of calories in a main meal, after all we do have to get our daily calories somewhere. That said, 630 calories is a LOT of calories in one lump.

Daily caloric intake is typically supposed to be under 2000 unless you are highly athletic. Typically, weight loss is 1500 or less per day. A single burger packing 40% of that is a whole lot.

Bu there was that one guy who ate Big Macs every day and never gained a pound.

Seems a good idea but what about taste?
By the way, US is quite permissive about food “manipulation”, much more than Europe (we have much stricter regulations about additives here): is this kind of burger “healthy” enough ?

Seems a good idea but what about taste?
By the way, US is quite permissive about food “manipulation”, much more than Europe (we have much stricter regulations about additives here): is this kind of burger “healthy” enough ?
probably not, like everything else we'll hear it causes cancer or third arms in 15yrs.

I love Beyond meat burgers! Never tried Impossible burger as we don't have em yet in Canada.

Personally, since watching Gamechangers on Netflix about the health benefits & athletic performance benefits of not eating meat, I opted to try being vegetarian for a month in January. I felt I had more energy, a lot less inflammation, and higher libido in the bedroom. I also struggled to stay under a certain weight when I ate meat, but since going vegetarian I don't even think about it and I'm within my desired weight. Who the hell know meat dishes carried so many calories?!

Anyways, I've never looked back and been vegetarian for 8 months now. There are so many dishes I still make but without the meat that are still delicious, it dawned on me that the meat isn't what made those dishes delicious! And if I ever do want a meat substitute, the Beyond meat burger fills that no probs.

The health benefits of cutting out meat/chicken/pork by far outweigh the benefits of eating it. Just my .2cents.

Back