In Win D-Frame Mini Review: A unique case for loose budgets

Steve

Staff member

win d-frame mini review case in win d-frame mini

With a little over a year having passed since we first received the original D-Frame, In Win has been hard at work creating a second installment. The D-Frame Mini takes the original design and shrinks it down to accommodate the now popular Mini-ITX form factor.

As it was, the original D-Frame was very limited in terms of space for an ATX case with a 98L capacity so shrinking it down to just 46L doesn't seem like a move that will make the D-Frame more appealing, yet the 53% reduction has somehow allowed In Win to do more.

The case can now support cooling radiators and models as large as 240mm will fit. The graphics card length has been extended from 330mm to 340mm, and the D-Frame Mini can now rest on one of six sides rather than just two. The power supply is also mounted internally rather than externally and In Win has added an anodized black color to the mix.

Read the complete review.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks very much like a portable generator to me. just narrower. Where's the zip cord to start the motor and the 220v/110v outlets?

It looks very much like a portable generator to me. just narrower. Where's the zip cord to start the motor and the 220v/110v outlets?

Depending on the GPU it can output many GFLOPS. /lol

It is a lot quieter than my Honda GX630 as well.

This case, it doesn't offer any advantage in cooling, depending on where you have it something could spill or fall inside easily, the inner fans are louder (Yeah I'm thinking in you damned video card), and when talking about ease of install most cases half the price are already tool-free setups.

The only sort-of-appealing part is the looks. But like you said, this is a make it or break it kind of situation where you like it or don't. I didn't =/

I like the looks, it's something different. But you'll need something close to intel's clean room unless you clean your computer and apartment daily

It definitely looks awesome. It kind of reminds me of a bike frame. Sadly though, I can see problems since I have a cat ( and we all know cats are a liquid) and with a baby on the way, well that just spells all sorts of trouble.

I'm going to need a kick starter for mine! At half the price it would be a definite "maybe" but $400 clams is a bit over the top as far as I'm concerned!

I don't like it, why even bother having a case. Just put your motherboard and stuff on the floor, it will stay about as clean. I don't want to even imagine the noise from this thing.

For $350 its a fail. About $250 of the price went into the odd design that leaves us without options we are accustomed to on the majority of good cases out there today.

Here's a more honest review:

Last edited:
Here's a more honest review:

LOL are you kidding, a more honest review? Really! It is pretty much a video review verison of our review. They complemented the case on exactly the same things and complained about the same things, if anything our review was more negative.

They only really complained about the case not being dust proof, they said that’s a given and didn’t really want to even mention it. Ohh and they said it’s expensive.

LOL are you kidding, a more honest review? Really! It is pretty much a video review verison of our review. They complemented the case on exactly the same things and complained about the same things, if anything our review was more negative.

They only really complained about the case not being dust proof, they said that’s a given and didn’t really want to even mention it. Ohh and they said it’s expensive.

I wasn't trying to offend. I love the site, but totally disagree with the 90/100 score. For $350 this case makes too many little mistakes. You praise the cable management, but where are the rubber gromets? Holes drilled but not threaded? Good but not great amount of space behind motherboard tray. The mess of PSU cables. That's crazy for what their asking.

Dmitry is more harsh. He describes the case a a show piece, meaning its more looks than function and I have to agree.
"Is the internal layout any good?" "For the most part it is"
"For 99 percent of builds it won't be suitable for casual builders provided drawbacks."
"You can see not every inch on the inside was fully utilized"
"I'd like to see more threaded mounts"

TS gave it a 90/100 and HWC didn't even give it a an award.

The D-Frame mini is a good start, and hopefully their next attempt is far better.

Last edited:
Certainly not offended, just trying to work out how you came to that conclusion based on the video review that I watched.

Essentially we both said the same things about the case, yes it is a show piece first, yes it is not suitable for most users and yes it’s expensive.

Seems like you got all hung up on the score. I stand by it, this is an extremely well made case that looks amazing. The intent was to create a unique case that looks like no other, something that will make people stop in their tracks to take a closer look. The D-Frame Mini does this.

The cable management could be improved but it’s far from bad. I didn’t have the problems with the non-threaded holes though the mess out of the power supply was bad so I used a modular unit. For an open-air chassis that exposes every angle I found the D-Frame Mini surprisingly easy to create a neat and tidy build with.

The only real drawback is the price, but if you thought they were ever going to sell a handmade case for $250 then you were dreaming :)

This case could be a really interesting choice if not its inadequate price, which is 3x times exceeds its real one. Idk why it took 90/100 as even with 100$ it would have downsides, like noise from components, dust and lack of some parts that should still be present even in such type of cases (like MoBo rear plate). I'd say 70/100 if the price was 100$ and 50/100 for current price.

This case could be a really interesting choice if not its inadequate price, which is 3x times exceeds its real one. Idk why it took 90/100 as even with 100$ it would have downsides, like noise from components, dust and lack of some parts that should still be present even in such type of cases (like MoBo rear plate). I'd say 70/100 if the price was 100$ and 50/100 for current price.

I will have to read your review once you post it. I hope it is written after actually seeing the product in the flesh. The D-Frame Mini isn’t a value item and it isn’t intended for those who are after the most bang for their buck. It is a creative case for those with money to splash on something unique and interesting.

Also if you have dust problems don’t blame the D-Frame Mini, it is a problem with your environment. For that I suggest buying a vacuum cleaner and using it. I have had the original D-Frame in service for well over a year now and dust hasn’t been an issue.

Back