Increasing FPS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey here are my Current computer Specs (Note: It is a laptop.)

--- all info taken from run-dxdiag
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Processor: Mobile AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~790MHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Display: Ati Mobility Radeon 9600/9700 Series
Memory: 128 MB
Current Display Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60 Hz)

The Current game i am trying to get the best FPS on is World of Warcraft, i was curious if anyone can help me out with the best possible setting for my computer, maybe programs i need to run to help increase performance or close all the useless crap in the backround. ill check back often in and out fora few days and any information that i need to add to what has already been given that will help out ill give, but otherwise im running around 10 fps or less, its pretty horrible i tried turning all setting on v-card and in game performanced based but idk why i cant get it up higher, i kno this computer has a lot of potential to be a good gaming laptop, i mean thats what it was made for, (cyberpowerpc.com)

Do you have the videocard drivers installed? If not, install them now, as they will improve performance by about 999,999,999,999%. If they are installed, try downloading newer version. Also, press ctrl+alt+delete to open task manager and check how many processes you have running. If you have more than 40, that is too many.

That is a sweet laptop, you may need Omega drivers to increase performance, they are made with mobile cards in mind, ATI dosnt support them any more, get omega drivers, google it.

i installed Omega drivers and i dont know wat setting to tweak on it, and my FPS in Ironforge (bussyest spot) is 6-10 FPS still sucks *** i know this laptop can do **** loads better but idk how to tweak it in the right direcetions

currently have 39 processes, if u kno a program that gets rid of the **** ones let me know, thanks

edit: i have never seen this thing go over 30FPS w/ the new counter in the top right, when like no action is going on it like max's at 30fps, but idk this is really anoying how bad this laptop has been performing

Also, press ctrl+alt+delete to open task manager and check how many processes you have running. If you have more than 40, that is too many
Metal X, can you turn any of these off? If so, how do you know which ones are safe to turn off?:confused:

Teaser261 said:
Metal X, can you turn any of these off? If so, how do you know which ones are safe to turn off?:confused:
Anything under your "User Name" should be safe to turn off. Might turn off functionality you want, but it's nothing that the PC needs.

Also, services:
Start -> Run -> services.msc

Turn off services according to here. (random googled site, after quick speed-read looks accurate; google "XP services" for more info)

Turn off some of the details in the game, lower resolution if possible.

Aside from drivers that is really all you can do. Except perhaps tweak some ini files...

i have everysingle graphic lvl down as much as possible and flipped all performance increasing possibilities, i want performance over graphics

To turn off some of those things, go to start, run, and type "msconfig" without the quotes. Go to the services tab, check Hide all Microsoft Services, and then click on "Disable All". Then go to the startup tab, and uncheck all of them except any that have to do with ATI (or whatever your videocard manufacturer is).

That should bring your processes down to around 19-20.

Also, if you have Norton Antivirus, or any Norton program for that matter, uninstall it. Norton is a big system hog. Also, disable all firewalls, and see if that improves performance. If it does, then you need to configure your firewalls to allow WoW unrestricted internet access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back