India tackles noise pollution with traffic lights that stay red if drivers continue to...

Humza

Staff member
Why it matters: The Indian subcontinent is home to several densely populated metropolises, where the traffic is driven by a slightly different car horn culture than the rest of the world. While the standard practice is to honk in case of an emergency, warning a fellow driver or expressing frustration, people in this part of the world are a bit more extravagant in their use and rely on the car horn to convey a multitude of indecipherable emotions. This not only makes for a more chaotic driving experience but also results in harmful noise levels for the environment.

Police in the city of Mumbai, India, have come up with a clever idea for dealing with traffic noise pollution. Since time is of the essence for everyone, people waiting at traffic lights are prone to excessive horn usage in the notion that making noise would move things quicker.

This approach was laid to rest by trials conducted in November and December last year, which involved the police installing decibel meters to traffic light poles and resetting the red light timer if noise levels touched 85 decibels or more.

The experiment was carried out for 15 minutes a day at a "few important junctions," a police spokesperson told CNN, adding that the trials would be further carried out at 10 locations next month, and hopes that the idea gets implemented across the entire traffic management system.

Mumbai ranks 4th in the top 10 most congested cities in TomTom's 2019 Traffic Index, which estimates commuters spent over 8 days in Mumbai's rush hours last year. The report also equates this time to baking over 10,000 cookies or watching multiple reruns of Game of Thrones. Given how that show ended, it seems difficult to make a choice between watching it or wasting time in a traffic jam.

Permalink to story.

I'm not afraid to drive through an overly-long traffic light if I know there's no red-light camera and if I know there's no incoming traffic.

I really want to see how effective it is. I don't believe people will understand the concept of "stop honking to go", it is too complex for people who park the car in the middle of road or can't turn properly.

I really want to see how effective it is. I don't believe people will understand the concept of "stop honking to go", it is too complex for people who park the car in the middle of road or can't turn properly.

China used to have this problem in some provinces until the police started to fine people for honking too early in the day. I like this passive aggressive approach they are taking in India!

It's insanely loud. At 6am it's perfectly acceptable in most Indian cities to be driving down the street honking the horn, blaring loud music and shouting. By late morning the noise pollution on any major street is over 85 decibels, continuously.

There are laws in place, and this being India, most consider them only advisory. I remember reading a study that people tested in Delhi have hearing loss nearly 20 years in advance of the average person. It also contributes to general stress response and fatigue of everyday life. Humans are programmed from birth to have a cortisol response to loud noises. It is underestimated how it can impact health.

Kitboga is my favorite Youtubber.

What's ironic is that his majority of subscribers are Indian and his subscriber-to-view ratio is wayyyyy off.
So his subscribers are Indian scam artists researching how he is defeating them? :)

I love the red light idea. But if the horn is used to express anger and frustration and you take that away from people, will they just get out of their car and punch the other driver instead?

It's insanely loud. At 6am it's perfectly acceptable in most Indian cities to be driving down the street honking the horn, blaring loud music and shouting. By late morning the noise pollution on any major street is over 85 decibels, continuously.

There are laws in place, and this being India, most consider them only advisory. I remember reading a study that people tested in Delhi have hearing loss nearly 20 years in advance of the average person. It also contributes to general stress response and fatigue of everyday life. Humans are programmed from birth to have a cortisol response to loud noises. It is underestimated how it can impact health.

It's like this 24/7 over there. Always something going on.

This is going to work as well as putting everyone on CC for a spam email list; replying to all, asking everyone to please stop replying to all.

HAHAHAHAHA ..... try that in NYC or on any California Freeway and the traffic would never move ... never, not in this plus two more lifetimes!

This is why one of my favorite bumper stickers says "Horn broken, watch for finger." It's quiet and gets the point across.

I don't think people in Canada honk in traffic jams. I've never seen it (I've never been to Toronto either though)

Some *** staring at their phone sitting at a green light, for sure, they'll get a honk and a finger, and they deserve it, but in a traffic jam? At a red light? That's hilarious ... why?

I can see some kid (regardless of age) on the corner with an air horn. As soon as the timer goes below 10 seconds, they would give a blast resetting the timer.

@SolarisGuru, you beat me to it. I didn't read your comment until after I posted.

Now you just know it’s going to happen. Two completely different people with the same idea!! Haha! That’s hilarious.

I can see a troll sitting off to the side of an intersection in his lawn chair honking an air horn just to stop traffic.

Let's see how many times they do that after the pissed off people waiting get out of their cars. A smart troll is one who isn't physically present when the prankee is pranked.

Back