Installing new ram & got BSOD, page fault thingy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone - This is my first time posting. I have Windows Vista 64 bit and I am trying to go from 2 to 4 gig of ram. After I install them, windows boots and everything is fine for about 10 seconds and then I get BSOD and the message Page fault in non paged area. I checked to make sure they are properly installed. When I take them back out it works fine (so far). :(

Does this necessarily mean that one of them is "bad" or could there be another reason? I've attached the minidump file. Thank you so much for your help.

Sarah

Welcome to the forums. First a question: Is your Ram compatible? Meaning, the two sticks that you have tried to add, are they the same as the ones you have in now? I am strongly suspicious that one or both of those newer sticks may be bad especially since these crashes haven't occurred until you tried to upgrade to 4 gigs.

I had one memory stick do the same thing to me: Crash before I even could boot into Windows.

Secondly, you have an 0x50 error which means a requested data was not in memory.

An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Also, your driver for AVG was cited as being the probable cause. This is driver avgmfx64.sys.

I would run a MemTest on your system to see if indeed it is your memory. Google MemTest. it is a great free utility that should be run for a minimum of 7 passes and this takes a few hours but well worth it.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you

Hi Route. Thanks so much for your reply!

They are the exact same type of ram as my old kind - 2 1gb sticks of ddr2 800. I suspect it is not the ram because if I put in 2 gig of the new stuff, it works fine, 2 gig of the old stuff, it works fine, but together they cause an almost immediate BSOD.

I downloaded an update for windows vista ultimate 64 that is supposed to address issues with systems that have over 3 gig of ram but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Thanks for decrypting the minidump for me. I will download & run that memtest thing tonight and see if anything turns up.

Thanks again,
Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back