Intel CEO vows to challenge Nvidia, market is "hungry" for alternative GPUs

zakislam

The big picture: Intel has been engaged in a long-running battle with main competitor AMD in the desktop space, which has seen the market favor Team Red lately. The Ryzen series has forced Intel out of the spotlight, but as the company now gets closer to launch its Alder Lake CPUs to level the playing field and regain some market share in a business it was once-dominant in, they are also preparing to gain ground in another fiercely competitive industry.

In a recent interview with CRN that covers several topics with Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger, one subject that was emphasised on was its impending battle with Nvidia. Moving forward, one way Intel plans to differentiate itself from the GPU giant is by being "much more ecosystem-friendly" in terms of software that supports its components.

"Nvidia has become too proprietary, and that's widely seen in the industry, and so we're going to fill out that stack with oneAPI but do it in a way that's much more favorable and open to the industry and their innovations," he stated.

oneAPI is an open programming model that covers different types of architectures, which includes Intel's silicon products such as CPUs, GPUs and FPGAs.

Addressing Intel's "under-focused" graphics business, Gelsinger stressed that the company's efforts in the GPU market have to go above and beyond in terms of features, performance and power, all of which have to be delivered at compelling price points for the consumer.

Gelsinger attributed Nvidia's success largely to how its leadership has operated the company for the past decade, but also pointed out how "they got really lucky" in the artificial intelligence field.

"Nvidia had essentially a 10x or better performance leadership for a decade. If you have that, a 10x leadership for 10 years, people are going to take advantage of that. And then they got really lucky: AI happens. A 30-year overnight success, and they harvested it really well at that point. So they worked hard, they earned and then they got lucky in that respect," Gelsinger explained.

Further detailing how Intel specifically intends to provide attractive products in the GPU market, Gelsinger touched on how they're going to make it seamless to go from integrated to discrete on the Intel platform.

"So what do we have to do? Deliver great products in those segments (...) and the market's hungry for us to deliver them an alternative. We need to then deliver it with unique, differentiated value-add.

And in the GPU business, we go to the customer and we say, "Well, guess what, we just happen to be the unquestioned leader in integrated graphics. You already qualify all of our stuff all the time for every unit that you're going to ship, and we're going to make it seamless to go from integrated to discrete on the Intel platform.

And even better than that, we're going to make integrated and discrete work together. So if you have three [execution units] worth in the integrated [GPU], then you have 10 EUs worth in the discrete, we're going to give you 13 EUs worth, and you're only going to buy 10 EUs worth in the discrete GPU, and you're going to qualify one product that [works] seamlessly between those two." Well, that’s pretty differentiated. And that's just one example.

Putting weight behind his words, Intel has poached a former top GPU architect at AMD, Vineet Goel, to oversee its Xe GPU architecture that future GPU products will be based on. He will lead a team of architects and design engineers in "architecting, designing and verifying Intel's Xe IP roadmap."

Related reading: The Last Time Intel Tried to Make a Graphics Card

Intel certainly has its work cut out if it wants to make a dent in the graphics market. Nvidia has established a firm foothold in the industry, with AMD playing a strong secondary player -- not to mention its dominance among chipmakers -- and it's set to become an even bigger force to be reckoned with should their acquisition of Arm materialize.

Still, Intel is off to a good start judging by the anticipation behind their upcoming Xe-HPG graphics cards. As for its battle with AMD, Gelsinger believes the success seen by its rival in recent years won't last due to the upcoming launch of Alder Lake and Sapphire Rapids.

Permalink to story.

:facepalm: More sIntel Hubris. :rolleyes:Good luck to them fighting a war on two fronts, and expecting their customers to pay out the you-know-what for piddling performance improvements.

:facepalm: More sIntel Hubris. :rolleyes:Good luck to them fighting a war on two fronts, and expecting their customers to pay out the you-know-what for piddling performance improvements.
That's what people do now....pay for poor performance improvements

Competition is certainly good, especially if we can get a few that can bring the price point back to a reasonable place, but that may take years. Not to worry, I've got a 50 gal drum I'm filling with popcorn ... the for the long haul!

It will be interesting because they‘ll have a tough opponent with nVidia.
Not to forget: XE is only one battleground where I expect Intel to go for the OEM market first. Then there‘s HPC GPU.

What I am really hoping for is a great media encoder/decoder and a few three to five letter features. Will make sure to bring this up as USP in every discussion regarding which GPU is better.

Dead on here: Yeah we know that worked out so well for AMD, let's not pay attention to *why* Nvidia had this 10x advantage for so long I'm sure that if we bring over the very same AMD guys to do the exact same thing for us, we'll somehow succeed against Jacket Jensen no problem!

“with AMD playing a strong secondary player”. Lmao no. Radeon is garbage. It won’t take much for Intel to push AMD out. I can understand why Intel are going after Nvidia, they want an actual challenge and meaningful profits.

Xe discreet GPUs are at this point, largely paper GPUs and what Gelsinger is sayin' largely wishful thinking.

Hard to see the Leatherman sweating it out in his leather jacket b/c of Intel's paper GPU's that get delay after delay after delay.

Plus, the person in charge of GPU development is Koduri. 'Nuff said.

Intel means they will challenge Nvidia in the 100-200 dollar notebook market in the real world. In internet world, they will challenge them on Tickspot if they have have enough money, er I mean good product. Yeah, good product.

I think that people needing something like 1050Ti will welcome Intel to the market, only to find out what bad GPU drivers really are. I am looking at you Intel 7xx and 8xx GPUs ;)

Intel means they will challenge Nvidia in the 100-200 dollar notebook market in the real world. In internet world, they will challenge them on Tickspot if they have have enough money, er I mean good product. Yeah, good product.
You are assuming OEM care about the best product rather than the best deal.

Unless Intel commits to use their own fabs for their GPUs they won't have the volume to compete with NVIDIA. TSMC 7 and 5nm production is maxed out which is why AMD GPU's and PS5/XBSX are hard to find at MSRP. Yet those are the same processes Intel is allegedly using for their future GPUs.

The cynic in me would say Intel's move here is mainly to hurt AMD by driving up 7nm scarcity/cost, hurting AMD marketshare and margins. TSMC will produce for the highest bidder, and Intel have the money to outbid anyone.

I get people want a third player in the GPU market, but Intel isn't the option we need or should want. They aren't going to help with fabrication capacity, which means they won't help with availability or prices. Combine that with Intel's traditionally bad GPU drivers, and the end result will be nVidia continuing to do its thing, and Intel and AMD scrapping for some TSMC capacity, further decreasing availability and increasing prices in order to get some poorly supported low end GPUs.

So long ago that I forget, but wasn't there a type of shared computing with IGP and the AMD HD 3450? Sometime around 2007 when PCIe was coming on stream...?

Scumvidia is already about to relaunch it's GeForce partner program and force third part car makers to use inferior cooling solutions for Intel or they will not get supply of scumvidia cards. This time round scumvidia won't put things in writing like last time, which is why it fell apart. Scumvidia are feeling very threatened by a new player. Also scumvidia are about to halt all Ampere production once all contractual obligations are fulfilled for this quarter. See Moore's Law is dead for more details.

One big advantage Intel has if ADL is good, X570 is now a dead platform, so anyone looking to upgrade will have one more reason to not go AMD in a couple months.

Another is DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 will move faster to mainstream and commercial use due to being on the Intel platform bringing costs down quicker. AMD doesn't have enough OEM presence to push new technologies. Yet anyway.

One big advantage Intel has if ADL is good, X570 is now a dead platform, so anyone looking to upgrade will have one more reason to not go AMD in a couple months.

Another is DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 will move faster to mainstream and commercial use due to being on the Intel platform bringing costs down quicker. AMD doesn't have enough OEM presence to push new technologies. Yet anyway.
Zen3+/Zen3 with v-cache will still be on AM4, so it's not a dead platform quite yet.

Unless Intel commits to use their own fabs for their GPUs they won't have the volume to compete with NVIDIA. TSMC 7 and 5nm production is maxed out which is why AMD GPU's and PS5/XBSX are hard to find at MSRP. Yet those are the same processes Intel is allegedly using for their future GPUs.

The cynic in me would say Intel's move here is mainly to hurt AMD by driving up 7nm scarcity/cost, hurting AMD marketshare and margins. TSMC will produce for the highest bidder, and Intel have the money to outbid anyone.

I get people want a third player in the GPU market, but Intel isn't the option we need or should want. They aren't going to help with fabrication capacity, which means they won't help with availability or prices. Combine that with Intel's traditionally bad GPU drivers, and the end result will be nVidia continuing to do its thing, and Intel and AMD scrapping for some TSMC capacity, further decreasing availability and increasing prices in order to get some poorly supported low end GPUs.
Intel will be on tsmc 6nm not 7.
Also theirs plenty of wafers, the issue is substrate shortages. And Intel is literally stockpiling Controllers and gddr6. They will have supply.

Intel taking fabs away from companies who already know how to make GPUs doesn't exactly help. Intel's is matching the performance of their GPU with Nvidia's 3070 & AMD's 6700XT. Which by the time it releases, will be a full year behind.

I am all for competition, but not when Intel, which just got boat loads of cash from the US government, is attempting to buy out the FAB supply for an inferior product that isn't even released yet. God help Gamers us if it is delayed.

Last edited:
Intel taking fabs away from companies who already know how to make GPUs doesn't exactly help.
These contract's are done years in advance, amd has already bought its wafer supply for the next few years. Same with nvidia. Intel isn't taking anything away from them

These contract's are done years in advance, amd has already bought its wafer supply for the next few years. Same with nvidia. Intel isn't taking anything away from them
You are correct AMD has already bought the wafers, but that doesn't take in account future orders. And given that TSMC just up'd their price, we (the consumer) will see the affects in the future, or who knows maybe Samsung will step in. I seriously hope Intel lives up to the hype they spout this time. Because it really will be a waste if they don't.

AMD will get serious competition from Intel in the low to mid-end GPU segment (which is AMDs primary segment).

AMD is only around 15% dedicated GPU marketshare as it is. I would not be suprised if AMD is below 10% in a few years unless they change their pricings. Barely anyone will choose AMD over Nvidia unless value is much better.

AMDs best selling GPUs in the last 5 years have all been low to mid-end stuff like RX580/570/480/470.
Very few people are buying AMDs "high-end" GPUs. This can easily be confirmed by looking at Steam HW Survey.

Back