Intel may drop Extreme Edition branding from its high end CPUs

Greg S

Rumor mill: Intel is going to kill off its Extreme Edition processor branding according to a long time former employee. What once was a badge of true bragging rights is about to be eliminated once and for all.

Enthusiasts have enjoyed pushing the limits of processors practically since they became available to regular everyday users. Back in the days of Intel Inside commercials and a serious round of competition with AMD, Extreme Edition processors were released with huge price tags so that bragging rights were difficult to obtain.

Intel has used Extreme Edition branding since the first dual core CPU, a 3.2GHz Pentium D based on a 90nm process. Following up the Pentium D, the Core 2 Extreme series was released. Arriving closer to the present, the introduction of Intel Core with i7 Extreme Edition variants kept the same pattern.

In a Tweet from 20-year former Intel employee François Piednoël, it seems as though Intel is going to end its Extreme Edition processors.

Despite dropping Extreme from product titles, there may not actually be all that much changing. The introduction of Core i9 processors has essentially taken the place of extreme edition CPUs. Core i9 options still have the needed overclocking capabilities and certainly have extreme pricing that keeps them only in the hands of enthusiasts or those running a business where time is money.

Another thought is that Intel could be dropping Extreme Edition to avoid being caught in a bad place when AMD pushes out CPUs that outperform so called extreme versions at nearly half the price. Whatever the reasoning, Intel is surely going to find a way try and build up the same perception that went along with Extreme Edition models in the past.

Permalink to story.

So Intel will have to release i9 Datacrusher Edition - 10nm, 48 cores, 96 threads, 5 GHz on all cores, 128 PCIe 3.0/4.0 lanes, 16 channel memory . No cooler included. All copper IHS soldered on, (2hp chiller required for clock speeds over 2GHz). Only $10,000. No RGB.

So Intel will have to release i9 Datacrusher Edition - 10nm, 48 cores, 96 threads, 5 GHz on all cores, 128 PCIe 3.0/4.0 lanes, 16 channel memory . No cooler included. All copper IHS soldered on, (2hp chiller required for clock speeds over 2GHz). Only $10,000. No RGB.

I was ready to pre-order until you revealed that it's sans RGB...

The only thing extreme about the extreme edition Pentium D was the fact you could have roast dinner prepared in your PC case while you gamed.

I had to go back and refresh my memory, BUUUT ,the Pentium Extreme Edition @ 3.73 Ghz was a single core on the socket 775 . which was also not the first Extreme Edition .The Pentium D 840 Extreme Edition was my first of 4 Extreme Branded CPU's. followed by the X6800,then The QX6850,Then the QX9770, .I gave the 840 away which was .correct me if I'm wrong ,as I'm sure someone will ,the first consumer 4 thread cpu ,dual core with Hyper threading.. I miss DBZ at times like this...

after a bit of research, there was a socket 478 P4 EE at 3.4 ghz also. ooohhh the memories.foggy.

Last edited:
Back