Intel reclaims worldwide semiconductor throne

onetheycallEric

Staff
In brief: Thanks to the downturn of the memory market, Intel once again resumes reign at the top of the silicon market. The DRAM market hasn't been too kind to Samsung as of late, but that is expected to change later this year. Particularly in the third quarter, when prices could start to rise with increased demand.

According to IC Insights, Intel is once again atop the silicon throne. Samsung usurped Intel in 2017 while the memory market was booming, but after sharp declines in the DRAM market Samsung has ceded the throne after just a year, even with Intel going through a CPU shortage.

IC Insights explains: "Intel replaced Samsung as the number one quarterly semiconductor supplier in 4Q18 after losing the lead spot to Samsung in 2Q17. While Samsung held the full-year number one ranking in 2017 and 2018, Intel is forecast to easily recapture the number one ranking for the full-year of 2019, a position it previously held from 1993 through 2016. With the collapse of the DRAM and NAND flash markets over the past year, a complete switch has occurred, with Samsung having 23% more total semiconductor sales than Intel in 1Q18 but Intel having 23% more semiconductor sales than Samsung just one year later in 1Q19."

Samsung's fall from the top has been anticipated, if not completely expected.

The South Korean giant lead in the semiconductor market relied heavily on the abounding revenues it was seeing from DRAM. With memory prices being closet to the lowest we've seen in years and Samsung's 1Q19 earnings greatly missing the mark, Intel's ascension back to the top was almost cemented.

The good news for Samsung is that the memory market is expected to stabilize. Memory module shipments are expected to rise in 2H19, while prices could rebound in Q319.

Permalink to story.

Intel and Nvidia are the only two companies I am willing to build my computer with.

Although my i9 Extreme is basically a toaster oven without the liquid cooling system I have, it's fast as hell and along with my 2080Ti, I can actually run Crysis in ultra 4K.

Intel and Nvidia are the only two companies I am willing to build my computer with.

Although my i9 Extreme is basically a toaster oven without the liquid cooling system I have, it's fast as hell and along with my 2080Ti, I can actually run Crysis in ultra 4K.
Yeah, both companies are aware, nvidia was kind enough to charge you double the price of their last flagship for no where near double the performance.

Competition is a good thing. If everyone did the same as you, we'd all need to get mortgages for nvidia's latest and greatest...

The leader in this industry is ever changing if for no other reason that of the ebb and flow of business. Those on top today will quickly descend as newer products arrive from competitors and they will just as quickly ascend to the top again with there own product announcements. Soon HP will be the new leader simply because of their acquisition of CRAY only to be beaten down by their "new" competitors jumping ahead.
All of this used to play out quietly, behind the scenes with just the companies taking notice but now with the web we are all drawn into the circle and if they can drum up enthusiasm to the point of influencing more sales you can bet they will and in the long run it is we, the buying public, that are taken the greatest advantage of because of our own ignorance and being duped by these marketing machines .....

Yeah, both companies are aware, nvidia was kind enough to charge you double the price of their last flagship for no where near double the performance.

Competition is a good thing. If everyone did the same as you, we'd all need to get mortgages for nvidia's latest and greatest...

The majority of buyers aren't looking for the latest and greatest...

It is not NVidia's fault that AMD hasnt competed except for twice in the last 6 generations

The majority of buyers aren't looking for the latest and greatest...
I was clearly quoting QuantumPhysics who even listed the spec of his machine. Its almost like you didn't read my comment at all since, you know, I specifically stated "if everyone did the same as you"...
It is not NVidia's fault that AMD hasnt competed except for twice in the last 6 generations
You're correct, for the top end, they've been relatively competitive in the mid to low end the whole time though.

I also wasn't limiting my comment to just two companies, I said "competition" as in, we need more GPU manufacturers to compete against each other.

If only Intel had jumped on the GPU band waggon years ago, we might not see the crazy pricing of today.

I was clearly quoting QuantumPhysics who even listed the spec of his machine. Its almost like you didn't read my comment at all since, you know, I specifically stated "if everyone did the same as you"...

You're correct, for the top end, they've been relatively competitive in the mid to low end the whole time though.

I also wasn't limiting my comment to just two companies, I said "competition" as in, we need more GPU manufacturers to compete against each other.

If only Intel had jumped on the GPU band waggon years ago, we might not see the crazy pricing of today.

I read it, and shot it tf down.

4000, 5000 and 7000 HD series were the last times they were properly competitive.

Am more than happy with my 2700x thank you very much, with latest Intel vulnerabilities they lose up-to 5x or 40% performance compared to AMD, and not to mention all those i9 9900k turning into i9 9700k once hyper threading is turned off.

edit: it's kind of mind boggling how much people ignore the facts and just keep drumming up the choice they feel is better even though it clearly is not.

Last edited:
Am more than happy with my 2700x thank you very much, with latest Intel vulnerabilities they loose up-to 5x or 40% performance compared to AMD, and not to mention all those i9 9900k turning into i9 9700k once hyper threading is turned off.

edit: it's kind of mind boggling how much people ignore the facts and just keep drumming up the choice they feel is better even though it clearly is not.

You lose a lot of credibility when you don't correctly use the words lose/loose.

It depends on how you define "competed". If you mean they produced halo products for extreme cost, than your right, they are not competitive. If you mean they produce cards that significant numbers of people buy and by which they make money, then they have done ok.

Statements like that also ignore their almost total dominance of the console market, which isn't a small piece of the pie.

They have pretty clearly targeted CPUs, both consumer and enterprise over GPUs recently. GCN just can't cut it regardless the process node. I expect their next architecture to be more competitive but will it compete with whatever nvidia has slotted into their top slot? Probably not. The 1000$+ slot doesn't seem to be a market segement AMD is interested in.

We might see a real competitor out of Intel in the GPU space. They have multiple fabs, some pretty advanced new process tricks and a lot of incentive to come out of the gates in 2020 with something groundbreaking.

Intel might be on the back foot right now, but they have been there before and then the core2 series arrived. I wouldn't bet against Intel, not yet anyway. That said, AMD is absolutely going to snag a share of the CPU market this next cycle. Possibly a significant one. Its interesting times.

It depends on how you define "competed". If you mean they produced halo products for extreme cost, than your right, they are not competitive. If you mean they produce cards that significant numbers of people buy and by which they make money, then they have done ok.

Statements like that also ignore their almost total dominance of the console market, which isn't a small piece of the pie.

They have pretty clearly targeted CPUs, both consumer and enterprise over GPUs recently. GCN just can't cut it regardless the process node. I expect their next architecture to be more competitive but will it compete with whatever nvidia has slotted into their top slot? Probably not. The 1000$+ slot doesn't seem to be a market segement AMD is interested in.

We might see a real competitor out of Intel in the GPU space. They have multiple fabs, some pretty advanced new process tricks and a lot of incentive to come out of the gates in 2020 with something groundbreaking.

Intel might be on the back foot right now, but they have been there before and then the core2 series arrived. I wouldn't bet against Intel, not yet anyway. That said, AMD is absolutely going to snag a share of the CPU market this next cycle. Possibly a significant one. Its interesting times.

If the console market were such a lucrative market then IBM, Nvidia, Hitachi, Intel, and Motorola wouldn't have all left the market.

You lose a lot of credibility when you don't correctly use the words lose/loose.
sorry english is not my first language and I only get to use it online mostly so some errors do crop up with time.
but edited and thanks for pointing it out.

If the console market were such a lucrative market then IBM, Nvidia, Hitachi, Intel, and Motorola wouldn't have all left the market.

Nvidia didn't leave the console market. They actually power one of the most successful consoles in the past decade (the switch).

Back