Intel's Core i7-11700K has already been reduced, 10th-gen parts now even cheaper

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Intel’s Rocket Lake desktop chips only arrived a week ago, yet one of the processors has already seen a slight price reduction. The Core i7-11700K, which was $420, is now down to $405. A more appealing offer might be the previous-gen Core i7-10700K, which has dropped to $317—a fall of almost $100 compared to six months ago.

As you’ll no doubt be aware, the Core i7-11700K—and Rocket Lake in general—hasn’t set the world on fire, which could explain this part receiving a price cut so soon after launch. However, if you are upgrading from an aging processor and want the latest Intel has to offer, you do get a good gaming chip that comes with PCIe 4.0 support for $405.

What’s likely to be of more interest to Intel fans is the Intel Core i7-10700K. The 10th-gen processor was a joint ‘Best Gaming CPU’ winner in our Best CPUs feature. With 8 cores/16 threads, a 125 TDP, and able to hit 5.1 GHz, it can offer similar performance to the Core i9-9900K for less.

Our price tracker has the Core i7-10700K’s previous highest Amazon price as $406 back in November. It’s now available for just $317. And if you’re able to do an in-store pickup, Micro Center has it for an even lower $270.

That’s an excellent deal for what is still one of the best chips out there for gaming—check out our 'seven game average at 1440p' chart above (using an RTX 2080 Ti). It also boasts an Amazon user score of 9.8.

Elsewhere, Micro Center has some other good deals on 10th-gen Intel parts: the Core i5-10600K is just $199, while the flagship Core i9-10900K is $400.

Permalink to story.

Looking at prices here, € 299 for a 10700k vs € 295 for a Ryzen 3700x, the 10700K looks very attractive.

Looking at an 11700k for €418 vs € 424 for a Ryzen 5800X (both prices including shipping), I see little reason for getting the 11700K.

I just try Intel Xeon E5 2630 v3 (move from Ryzen 5 2400G), has 8 cores and 16 threads..very cheap processor just $32 but good performance, Multithread Performance equal to Ryzen 5 3500 or Core i5 9500.

Also has good power consumption, just 45-65w for light task and 110w for heavy task

Not sure why you guys are showing a 1440p benchmark chart when comparing cpus. It kinda defeats the purpose
Also, the graph states that "Lower is Better" when it should be "Higher is Better" in a graph of average game frame rates.

Not sure why you guys are showing a 1440p benchmark chart when comparing cpus. It kinda defeats the purpose
Average_1080p-p.webp

Happy now? :)

Also, the graph states that "Lower is Better" when it should be "Higher is Better" in a graph of average game frame rates.
Oopsy. I'll notify the team :neutral:

Looking at prices here, € 299 for a 10700k vs € 295 for a Ryzen 3700x, the 10700K looks very attractive.
No it doesn't. Rocket Lake's introduction means Intel finally has desktop class CPU that can handle PCIe x4 NVMe drive. Something AMD has offered since 2017. However that also means all 10.th gen Intel chips are now garbage.

No it doesn't. Rocket Lake's introduction means Intel finally has desktop class CPU that can handle PCIe x4 NVMe drive. Something AMD has offered since 2017. However that also means all 10.th gen Intel chips are now garbage.

Yeah, right. You have to be a special kind of a fanboy to not think that the 10700k is an insane deal over the 3700x. And btw, I bought a 3700x for my gfs pc back in December...

"Garbage" may be a tad too strong. I'm team red all the way, but that 10700K is a hell of a deal, and I can perfectly understand if someone goes for that for the basis of their gaming rig. It offers excellent gaming performance, and frankly, what more do you need for the foreseeable future than a potent and fast 8/16 CPU, for gaming purposes?

No it doesn't. Rocket Lake's introduction means Intel finally has desktop class CPU that can handle PCIe x4 NVMe drive. Something AMD has offered since 2017. However that also means all 10.th gen Intel chips are now garbage
Nah, it‘s definitely not garbage. The CPU itself is OK, the price quite attractive. Better IO is good but it shouldn‘t be a deal breaker.

Not for me, because Intel, but I also opted for a PCIe 3 Ryzen 2700X over a PCIe 4 Ryzen 3000 because the 2700x‘s closeout price was too good to resist.

Yeah, right. You have to be a special kind of a fanboy to not think that the 10700k is an insane deal over the 3700x. And btw, I bought a 3700x for my gfs pc back in December...
"Garbage" may be a tad too strong. I'm team red all the way, but that 10700K is a hell of a deal, and I can perfectly understand if someone goes for that for the basis of their gaming rig. It offers excellent gaming performance, and frankly, what more do you need for the foreseeable future than a potent and fast 8/16 CPU, for gaming purposes?
Nah, it‘s definitely not garbage. The CPU itself is OK, the price quite attractive. Better IO is good but it shouldn‘t be a deal breaker.

Not for me, because Intel, but I also opted for a PCIe 3 Ryzen 2700X over a PCIe 4 Ryzen 3000 because the 2700x‘s closeout price was too good to resist.
Now, 8 cores 16 threads should be enough CPU power for some time.

But, since current games simply suck using IO, even HDD is quite enough for games. As we have seen, many new console games do load and (use textures "on fly") Very Fast. DirectStorage is similar solution coming for PC.

If DirectStorage really does what it promises, we may talk very big advantage. It may well require NVMe x4 connection from CPU. Difference between 10700K and 3700X on current games seem to be around 8%. With DirectStorage we may well speak more like 80% improvement. Even that number is very low to be honest, if technology is properly implemented.

Remember also, Intel usually tends to support new products much better than old ones. I would not be surprised at all if Intel will limit DirectStorage support for Rocket lake and newer. 8% difference on current old games worth enough to take risk? Easy answer: no.

Have you looked at any benchmarks? Yeah, the read/write speeds look great on paper, but in practice for the average consumer PCIe 4.0 SSDs offer at best marginal benefit to the average user. Not having it doesn't mean the CPUs are garbage. I'd still get 3700x over 10700k for the same price, but lets not exaggerate here.

Looking at an 11700k for €418 vs € 424 for a Ryzen 5800X (both prices including shipping), I see little reason for getting the 11700K.

With the 11700F being at 309€, there is absolutely no reason to buy the overpriced K-CPUs at all...

Have you looked at any benchmarks? Yeah, the read/write speeds look great on paper, but in practice for the average consumer PCIe 4.0 SSDs offer at best marginal benefit to the average user. Not having it doesn't mean the CPUs are garbage. I'd still get 3700x over 10700k for the same price, but lets not exaggerate here.
No. Benchmarks are for amateurs. First, current 8-core CPU's should be good for gaming for few years, I doubt anyone disagrees with that. With that in mind, current CPU should be good for few years, right?

Currently there are plenty of PC games that are made for NVMe drives, games like:

and

also

Right. Change is coming. Like I said, Microsoft's DirectStorage will bring some changes. Microsoft says 2021. What we know about DirectStorage? It's NVMe only, SATA SSD owners may forget it. Microsoft also says:
With a supported NVMe drive and properly configured gaming machine.
Now wtf is "properly supported". Since DirectStorage is meant to bring SSD closer to CPU and video card, educated guess: it needs CPU attached NVMe drive. That is because chipset connected NVMe is pretty far from CPU and video card. Edit: sources: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-is-coming-to-pc/ )

Problem for AMD? No, AMD has supported this since first Ryzen 2017.

Problem for Intel? No, Intel buyers should buy latest and greatest (Rocket Lake right now).

If DirectStorage really does what it promises in around two year time from now, I will laugh everyone who recommended large SATA SSD for gaming "because NVMe drives are not faster" and in case it really needs CPU attached NVMe, even bigger laugh to Intel fanboys who bought garbage CPU despite warnings :p

Sorry, the only fanboy around seems to be you. If I search your post history will I see anything positive for Intel? ANYTHING? No? Thought so.

Let's wait for your direct storage games and see what's what. I bet a paycheck they are going to work perfectly fine on a pcie gen 3 nvme.

Coming from someone with a 3700x and a 2tb corsair MP600

Sorry, the only fanboy around seems to be you. If I search your post history will I see anything positive for Intel? ANYTHING? No? Thought so.
How about this thread?
That wasn't too hard, or what?
Let's wait for your direct storage games and see what's what. I bet a paycheck they are going to work perfectly fine on a pcie gen 3 nvme.

Coming from someone with a 3700x and a 2tb corsair MP600
Yeah? That combo has CPU attached x4 NVMe. I didn't say anything from PCIe 4.0 support, because 1. that would probably mean too low amount of systems supported and 2. XBox Series X SSD is "only" 4.8GB/s that is only slightly faster than PCIe 3.0 x4.

I know my combo has cpu x4 nvme.

I also have a 10900k + z490. You are basically saying im going to need to replace my 10900k for gaming before I have to replace the 3700x because of the X4 cpu lane.

I bet a paycheck you are going to be wrong and your argument is not driven by logic but by your need to support one multibillion business over another.

I know my combo has cpu x4 nvme.

I also have a 10900k + z490. You are basically saying im going to need to replace my 10900k for gaming before I have to replace the 3700x because of the X4 cpu lane.

I bet a paycheck you are going to be wrong and your argument is not driven by logic but by your need to support one multibillion business over another.
This is what I hoped. Now waiting has something "more" 👍

My argument was driven by logic, facts and experience. Oh yes, one more.

That being the case, why release Rocket Lake? Why release new Z590 motherboards that won’t support the 12th-gen parts coming later this year?
;)

Back