Intel's latest graphics drivers can automatically optimize your games

midian182

Staff member

While it sounds like heresy to hardcore gamers, there are still plenty of people who use a processor’s integrated graphics to play titles. For those without a dedicated GPU and modern hardware, Intel has released a new graphics driver that will automatically optimize game settings much in the same way as Nvidia’s GeForce Experience.

Tom’s Hardware notes that the Intel Graphics Driver for Windows version 15.65 introduces the feature to Intel’s Graphics Control Panel. It will be available on all sixth generation (Skylake) and newer CPUs, including Kaby Lake G processors with built-in Radeon RX Vega graphics, which will appear in laptops from the likes of Dell and HP, along with Intel’s new ‘Hades Canyon’ NUCs.

The function is still in beta and currently only works with a limited number of games. Battlefield 1, Battlefield 4, American Truck Simulator, Call of Duty WWII, Destiny 2, Dota 2, Grand Theft Auto V, League of Legends, Overwatch, and World of Tanks can be optimized if you’re using a chip with Intel Graphics HD 620 or better.

Processors with Iris Pro graphics can optimize Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, and Metal Gear Survive. Expect the feature to expand and support more games as time goes on.

Intel showed it was serious about gaming when it hired Raja Koduri, the former head of Radeon Technologies Group, just 24 hours after leaving AMD back in November last year. The timing of the new feature coincides with the graphics card shortage caused by demand from crytpocurrency miners.

You can download the latest Intel Graphics driver here.

Permalink to story.

So it automatically sets everything on 720p low and v-sync at 30fps (not that it can never hit 30)? I bet it's aimed for the coming APUs with amd graphics but for current integrated graphics this is pretty much pointless, if you can't set everything on low you probably have a console for gaming.

They have a website as well that lists the settings for different things games for different integrated GPU generations. This just sets those settings for you.

Do some people really play PC games with Intel integrated graphics? I know people can be on a budget, but come on, is it going to put anyone in the poor house to pick up a $50 used GPU that will be 3-5x the performance of that?

Do some people really play PC games with Intel integrated graphics? I know people can be on a budget, but come on, is it going to put anyone in the poor house to pick up a $50 used GPU that will be 3-5x the performance of that?

Think of the people with a laptop.

a card that is $50 in the US and Europe can be $150 in south America and Eastern Europe, parts of Asia have really high 3rd party markets now that China is really into PC gaming. Also millions of people are limited by having to use a laptop, so unless there lucky enough to be able to use one of the cheap external gpu solutions they are usually stuck with intel integrated. Skylake and Kabylake integrated with dual channel DDR4 has some good performance, especially for popular esports games. But they can also play games like GTA V and BF4-BF1. The bread and butter of most of these gamers is indy titles and older games, think of the best games from 2007-2011 and these are the ones people want the most help with. There's hundreds of videos on youtube showing how well the intel integrated series can game. I'm stuck with similar performance out of my old nvidia gpu in my laptop, I have a nice desktop but all my dx11 games have to be played on the laptop.

a card that is $50 in the US and Europe can be $150 in south America and Eastern Europe, parts of Asia have really high 3rd party markets now that China is really into PC gaming. Also millions of people are limited by having to use a laptop, so unless there lucky enough to be able to use one of the cheap external gpu solutions they are usually stuck with intel integrated. Skylake and Kabylake integrated with dual channel DDR4 has some good performance, especially for popular esports games. But they can also play games like GTA V and BF4-BF1. The bread and butter of most of these gamers is indy titles and older games, think of the best games from 2007-2011 and these are the ones people want the most help with. There's hundreds of videos on youtube showing how well the intel integrated series can game. I'm stuck with similar performance out of my old nvidia gpu in my laptop, I have a nice desktop but all my dx11 games have to be played on the laptop.

I stand corrected, I was thinking pretty narrowing only on desktop. I suppose it makes sense for laptops.

The Ryzen 2700U looks like a god send for that purpose then.

Just imagine - Sollitare or Minsweaper @ 4k/126 rrate
aside the joke, overall its a good for all

HTPC's, especially SFF and alike, are often only with integrated graphics.. Our ageing Intel NUC with an i3-3217u can still play legacy games, albeit at reduced quality. The wife gets around 30 fps in Heroes og Might and Magic V in medium quality 1080p and it looks ok on our tv. But I would never install HOMM7 on it. The poor machine would hurl its guts all over our parking lot...

CS:Go also works quite well on 1080plow setting. Never dips below 60fps.

Pretty impressive on a i3-3217u cpu (1,8 Ghz 2C4T)

So integrated graphics can be used for gaming. As long as you know your limitations and are willing to compromise...

No one has mentioned the insane prices of any reasonably powerful graphics card. I recently sold a Sapphire Nitro R9 390 for $180 CAD to another gamer. It's a 2015 card, lacks support for bigger monitors, no DX 12 etc, but I see these listed on ebay.ca for $500 CAD. That is getting near what I bought a Nvidia 1070Ti for a few days after they hit the stores here.
If you think I'm stupid not to have sold it for more, if I did I would feel like those people who when disaster strikes charge $50 for a bottle of water. And it went to a gamer not a miner.

Back