not overclocked or modded

Athlon 1.4
ECS K7S5A mobo
350W jeantech PSU
ATI radeon VE
asus cdrw 52,24,52
LG 52X cd
modem

I have been having a problem that whenever I open a game the system will simply reboot. It gives a loud beep, black screen then reboot, it then runs scandisk and often finds lost chains.
It occurs with a variety of games all that have previously worked on the system under 98 and XP. It seems able to do most other things without crashing but gaming is the most intensive test I give it. It runs 3d mark 2001SE fine and gives the same speed it always has.

The hard disk had been loosing clusters for a while so was replaced- no improvement, the ram was replaced- no improvement. flashed bios with latest update- no improvement

Anyone have some ideas?

have you tryer using different brands of ram. this makes a differents on sone motherboards. the only other thing i could think of is to change your video card but this may not make any difference

Initially had 256Mb generic 133MHz SD ram single stick, so bought brand new Crucial 256 2100 DDR ram (mobo supports both) that is reported compatible and still does the same. Oh I have done repeated clean windows installs and scanned with latest definition norton antivirus also.

PSU, yeah sounds likely. I have checked the voltages in bios and they are all good but it only reboots under load, Does anyone know of a util that can test the PSU, load it and test voltages? otherwise will try to borrow PSU from someone

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back