Internet connection continuously lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a problem with my internet connection constantly cutting out. The only way I can get it to come back up is by unplugging the modem and router for 30 seconds and then re-plugging. Can anyone help to diagnose this problem? How do I tell if it is a bad modem or bad router?

Thanks
Donnen :dead:

Well first you can borrow or buy a new router to test that side of the story. Also what internet connection do you have dsl or cable? Have you tried plugging your computer directly into the modem bypassing the router?

I have cable through Comcast. I did try to bypass router and that didn't seem to have an effect. I will try again when I get back to the homefront. Will I need to re-configure anything in order to bypass the router? Will I need to turn off the home network?

Donnen

I had exactly the same problem (until today) but I fixed it by changing the speed of the Network card connected to the modem/router from Auto to 10Mbps.Found instructions for this on the D-Link website.My router is a DSL-504T but this might work for others.

-Sounds simple, but you can call comcast and have them test your signal strength in general on the line
-Check all pysical connections/splitters
-If there is a way to simplify the cable route to your modem i.e. give your modem a connection at first split, then splitelseware for you TV's
I know I'm assuming alot, like you have cable TV service, or that it is split at all, but most people do.

Ya know, I have that problem, only that it happened for 2 days, then my computer just stopped picking up all my wireless networks. If you could help me, please do :* (

Jaymes

i have been without a connection since feb 7th. Comcast Cable. We have continuesly lost connection until last week and now we have abso-f*cking-lutely nothing. Every call to comcast is a call to moronic ears. We are not the only ones. My whole neighborhood is down. My router is down but I am picking up a wireless signal on my laptop (probably a dial up connection) since I lose it from time to time. We've had 4 service calls, 3 cancelled and said it was not our equipment, one showed up and replaced ouir modem (yep, thats the prob Bob) NOT...Comcast will not admit there is a problem. I just want to know if it will be fixed in the near future and I'm not paying for the last 20 days service. I live south of Boston Massachusetts. Anyone else in this area getting the shaft?

I recently had the exact same problem...
1. No the Router is not bad
2. Failure to re establish internet contact was Failure to renew the Lease.
unplug the router, wait 10 sec. replug the router and lease was renewed...
it then would work fine for 2 hrs upto 2 days then die..
3. I fixed by re flashing the firmware backwards on the router... everything worked 100% for 3 days...
4. I have re flashed upgraded the firmware back to the original. and No problems so far ( 2 days now).

I am in the same boat and looking for an answer from comcast.
It has to do with cable modem being bridged.
Something to do with IP or MAC addresses not being changed or being changed on one piece hardware not on others.
Problem is the tech support at comcast is nothing more than someone looking at a flow chart in a massive tome.
I'm sure there are probably settings on your pc/router that will fix the problem but I am still unable to get the correct info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back