Is 100 mile wifi possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowrunner

probably not the best place to post but what the hell

100 mile WiFi in all directions. Is it just a pipedream or has someone pulled a magical antanna out of they're @$$?

Not the right place at all. We have a Networking forum for this reason.
Also such indecisive titles get you nowhere. You'd be lucky to get much help with a title like that.

I have moved it to the proper place and renamed the title for you.

This depends on what you consider as "WiFi".. No, what you are talking about is definitely not possible under the IEEE802.11 standards commonlhy known as "WiFi"

It's plain not possible. Even if you set up a brain-burning base station at the top of a very high tower or on a blimp (WiFi needs direct line of sight) that can beam the signal 100 miles you still have the problem of the clients not being able to respond (unless you are planning on putting kilowatt scale transmitters on your laptops).

ok... well im on my PSP, can i buy a phone so i can hook the PSP up to the phone wifi and i can recieve signals via. a phone tower?

Maybe you are confusing things.. WiFi is a specific term meaning a specific series of wireless computer networking standards. Maybe you want to use a more generic term like "wireless"?

Yes, you can use cell phone networks for internet access - the availability of this depends on your location, service provider and the devices you have.

To say its not POSSIBLE is incorrect...its not a viable option due to massive expense and maintance...you can get laser guided relay points that are good for 2 miles(probably further) but over long distances the curvature of the earth take it out of sight...it would be possible to boost the signal every 2 miles or so but no one would bother for obvious reasons

You can use GPRS with your phone.

Nodsu said:
It's plain not possible. Even if you set up a brain-burning base station at the top of a very high tower or on a blimp (WiFi needs direct line of sight) that can beam the signal 100 miles you still have the problem of the clients not being able to respond (unless you are planning on putting kilowatt scale transmitters on your laptops).

I should have clarified myself. Under normal circumstances it would not be possible. Both parties would have to be capable of transmitting at large wattages.

Using repeater stations is an alternative, but not a direct connection.
This question dealves into the realm of amateur radio.

So WiFi is not possible. Using relay technologies etc is not WiFi anymore, it's building yourself a whole WAN infrastructure.

Also, suppose we link WiFi base stations or use relays.. 100 miles radius gives you ~ 31 400 square miles. Assuming that you need at least 50 base stations to properly cover a square mile.. ~1 500 000 WiFi access points.

your logic doesn't make sense. IF you have a 100 mile radius, the energy would radiate in all directions equally (theoretically) without obstructions. Such energy is distrubuted radially, not longitudally. A receiving station must be within such a limit from the transmitter.

100 square miles is NOT the same as the area of a circle with a radius of 100.

The area of a circle is Pi R^2. Pi is 3.14..... and R being 100.
So therefore 3.14x100x100=3.14x10000
and you get a coverage area of 31,400 miles of coverage

What need therefore would there be for more base stations? All you need is two with intersecting areas.

Perhaps you would like to read my post again?

And I would really like to see you covering a square mile with two WiFi access points.

I did read it. Did you read mine?

I'm not talking about normal power. I'm talking about amplified power.

Tedster said:
your logic doesn't make sense. IF you have a 100 mile radius, the energy would radiate in all directions equally (theoretically) without obstructions. Such energy is distrubuted radially, not longitudally. A receiving station must be within such a limit from the transmitter.

100 square miles is NOT the same as the area of a circle with a radius of 100.

The area of a circle is Pi R^2. Pi is 3.14..... and R being 100.
So therefore 3.14x100x100=3.14x10000
and you get a coverage area of 31,400 miles of coverage

What need therefore would there be for more base stations? All you need is two with intersecting areas.

Read it for the third time. Please explain :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back