Is boot-up failure video card related?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just disassembled my computer and put it back together. The reason for disassembly was to replace the thermal compound and to check the part numbers on the capacitors, because they're going bad and we're going to replace them. The computer was working okay before.

When I start up the computer, it starts to boot-up (CPU fan starts spinning, etc.), but then it shuts off and won't begin boot-up again until I've disconnected then reconnected the power cable.

I'm merely guessing it's related to the video card since that's the first thing checked during POST, but I'm not sure. Does it sound like I ruined the video card somewhere along the way or is does it sound power supply related?

EDIT: Or.. could it be the capacitors? =/

Do you see swollen or leaky capacitors? If you do, replace them ASAP or replace the motherboard

Seven swollen, one swollen and leaking. I don't know how long they've been like that so we're going to replace them in the next week or two before they cause problems.

But would that be related to the boot-up failure? It was working fine before... but I suppose being turned off for a few days (normally it's on all the time) and then having the power plugged back in could cause problems...

Absolutely YES! They can cause all kinds of strange problems. Replace them and your current problem will disappear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back