Is cold cathode lighting bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djspan101

hi all,
I need to know asap if cold cathode lighting is bad. I have seen in several other forums the inverters burning and I dont want to fry my PC. any help would be great,
thanks.
dan
:)

Just use a little common sence and locate the inverters away from items, like wires and cables and plastics

Insulation is far more important than location. Use heavy duty PVC insulation tape to insulate the inverter from any stray wires or PSU connectors, as well as the case and mobo itself (I usually use contractor-grade tape). FYI, inverters can fry the chips on your components fairly easily due to the fact that they are AC-based, so insulate the inverter(s) properly to ensure that nothing gets fried accidentally.

With proper insulation, you do not need to be bothered about where you place the inverter.

Insulation is far more important than location. Use heavy duty PVC insulation tape to insulate the inverter from any stray wires or PSU connectors, as well as the case and mobo itself (I usually use contractor-grade tape). FYI, inverters can fry the chips on your components fairly easily due to the fact that they are AC-based, so insulate the inverter(s) properly to ensure that nothing gets fried accidentally.

With proper insulation, you do not need to be bothered about where you place the inverter.

Ok I got some insulating tape from B&Q today and I was wondering whether you meant Insulate the entire inverter with tape (obviously exluding the small vent on top), or if you meant differently,
thanks,
Dan :)

I just meant that insulate any possible points of contact with PSU cables or any PCI\PCI-E cards you have in your system (which includes the video card too). That will be sufficient. Also, I advise using double-sided tape between the inverter and the chassis.

I think they're just power-wasters. Looks nice, but whoopee. Of course others have said that it can cause shorts if not routed carefully. If you like this kind of stuff, fine- it's your $. Just make sure everything is insulated and you have adequate power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back